• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are all good trucks gone?

HUMMER H1

Check this out
I paid 2450 bucks for this truck as non runner and missing parts
I was able to start it today, I did full 12 volt swap .
runs very smooth actually ❤,
I don’t have the knowledge or the time for 24v, it was much easier for me to go 12,
most of those trucks sold now are non runners according to them, but hey this one runs great, it has GEP motor on it.
8673F8D1-C48E-4A00-B5CC-76E4B628DE90.jpeg9C36D1F4-953B-4AF3-BF17-D3512242DC84.jpegF0A27B9F-9266-4BF7-82D3-A20C1B233536.jpeg1FFB71BA-CCDC-4EB9-B749-D4F3A4A07C65.jpeg

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The dispersal of trucks through the system is cyclic in nature. From what I've seen it starts with some not great trucks that sell for stupid money being the first out. To lots of great trucks that will sell for less. Then towards the end, you get the last bits they had to literally drag in, that will likewise sell for stupid money because the supply is "gone".

cla06026

I noticed that too. Early this summer when I got my m1151 they had around 10 running m1151's per week and they were selling cheap. They also had a handful of m1165's. That lasted a few weeks and then it stopped, now if you want a runner in decent shape its gonna be something with 2 doors or a soft top and no AC.
Yeah, i was watching them this summer too. I decided to sell my M1123 to pick up one of the M1165's or something with a turbo and AC, but now that i'm ready to buy, they don't have anything that looks like it is in half decent shape (with a turbo)!
Any thoughts if this is going to change again? I drove past Yermo and it looked the same as always to me! HMMWV's everywhere!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s called marketing….there are still acres of trucks in Yermo. Yes, there are many many non-runners, I’ve purchased many of them and they are here at the shop, most are now running, but it’s a crap shoot, I don’t recommend buying a NR unless you have the time and resources to put it back together, definitely be prepared to pay for the normal missing parts like start box, glow plugs, glass, mirrors, radiators and cooler, turbo, PS pumps, steering gears, instrument cluster, seats, seat bases, evaporators, condensers, these parts can add up real fast in costs.
Also be familiar with the models of truck such as what SN range is REV and which has Sheppard steering gear and which dont, Sheppard gears are huge issue right now, seems Sheppard was sold and no longer supporting the M83-P2 gear, that by itself is a huge problem for AMG.
Also, FYI…Kysor has ceased production of the Fan clutch assys.

Last edited:

Hummer Guy

It’s called marketing….there are still acres of trucks in Yermo. Yes, there are many many non-runners, I’ve purchased many of them and they are here at the shop, most are now running, but it’s a crap shoot, I don’t recommend buying a NR unless you have the time and resources to put it back together, definitely be prepared to pay for the normal missing parts like start box, glow plugs, glass, mirrors, radiators and cooler, turbo, PS pumps, steering gears, instrument cluster, seats, seat bases, evaporators, condensers, these parts can add up real fast in costs.
Also be familiar with the mode, such as what SN range is REV and which has Sheppard steering gear and which dont, Sheppard gears are huge issue right now, seems Sheppard was sold and no longer supporting the M83-P2 gear, that by itself is a huge problem for AMG.
Also, FYI…Kysor has ceased production of the Fan clutch assys.
This is 100% facts, I've taken that into consideration when looking at the non runners and saw that in the end I'll be losing out big on just some of the parts

hawk-aggie

When reviewing GSAXess earlier this week, there were over 100 HMMWVs listed in Texas alone. Two days later there were less than 20. Likely some government agency sucked them up, which would be strange since there are 1000s sitting at Red River Depot.

We get our trucks through the Texas Facilities Commission - Federal Property Program. A Form 97 without any "Off-Road" designation is issued for every truck. All of our trucks have clean, street-legal titles, even the ones we buy just for the parts.

Last edited:

mccullek

I just bought a runner three weeks ago for $5,000.00. It was dirty and rough looking, but probably hasn't been cleaned and washed in years. I have cleaned it up and checked it out and the only serious issue it has is the steering gear box is leaking so bad it is dry in 10 mins, so I have ordered a rebuild kit. The motor runs like a top and fired right up after I put two new batteries in it. It needs a headlight, a mirror and a few other minor things, but I feel like I got a steal for only $5K. I even got it delivered from TX to MS for $600.00. I was going to go get it myself, but for that price, it was better to have it delivered.

So yes, if you shop around, there are still deals to be had. It takes some work and some waiting because some days you just don't have any luck. I was actually surprised this one went for such a low price, because some that weren't running that day went for much more. I think timing and being persistent with the auctions and the bidding is a key factor. Try looking past the dirt and grime and look for wear marks on the inside. Look at the light switch, foot pedals, etc. to see how worn they are overall. If not worn too badly, then it probably isn't worn out, it just needs some TLC.

If you are willing to bid on a non-runner, you might find a real deal, but I'm not that brave yet. So far, I have bought three items. The Humvee, an S&S M1078 and an LRT-110 Rough Terrain Crane. All ran well, but I had to rebuild the air/hydraulics on the M1078 and I had to rebuild the swing gear box on the crane (Major Repair). Most of the repairs other than the swing gear on the crane were rather easy to complete, other than my time doing research and then learning as I go.

The swing gear box was a $10K part, but I rebuilt it for about $300 in parts and a lot of learning and frustrations. That box alone weighed about 230 lbs., so it was not easy to take out and even harder to install it, but I got it done with minimal help and by being persistent. I'm no mechanic, so I had to learn all of this as I go. In the end, the bearings were frozen up in the swing gear box, so replacing them and the seals was all it really needed. It had deteriorated from non-use basically and has about 300 hours on it total I believe. I even got one of the personnel baskets with it, so you can use it like a lift as well. A new machine like that would easily be over $100K, so I got it for peanuts really.

Anyway, yes, you can find units and even deals still, but you have to put in some time and work to do so. I put a lot of time into getting all three items, and I would say identifying and then bidding until you get a winner is the toughest part unless you don't care what you pay for them. They have a govt auction almost weekly over the next month or two, so watch them if you really want one.

VP0985

Hello all, we picked up a M1151A1 last week at Yermo. There was definitely less trucks than I've seen over the years, but there was still a ton of up armored trucks. I counted at least 50 and stopped. We purchased a nonrunner with the intention to put a duramax in it.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all, we picked up a M1151A1 last week at Yermo. There was definitely less trucks than I've seen over the years, but there was still a ton of up armored trucks. I counted at least 50 and stopped. We purchased a nonrunner with the intention to put a duramax in it.

Maybe not the best choice for a Dmax conversion, with the 3:07 gears you will push the GM transfer case beyond its capabilities and it will likely grenade, in stock form the front shaft does not turn on the highway and it does not like to turn 2500 engine RPM which is what the Dmax/Allison will be doing with the 3:07 gears, one custom installer found this out the hard way after two transfer cases took out two transmissions when they let go.
Seems nobody has had issues like this with the 2:56 gears which are what I am running, I am turning about 2050RPM at 75MPH.
IF I were doing that swap I would swap the diffs.
You could adapt the NP242 but then you would need to turn the Dmax down to under 300HP which is what GM did with the Alpha.
BTW the H1 Alpha runs 2:56 gears so I am not sure the NP242 would be happy with the 3:07 gears at sustained highway speeds.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not the best choice for a Dmax conversion, with the 3:07 gears you will push the GM transfer case beyond its capabilities and it will likely grenade, in stock form the front shaft does not turn on the highway and it does not like to turn 2500 engine RPM which is what the Dmax/Allison will be doing with the 3:07 gears, one custom installer found this out the hard way after two transfer cases took out two transmissions when they let go.
Seems nobody has had issues like this with the 2:56 gears which are what I am running, I am turning about 2050RPM at 75MPH.
You could adapt the NP242 but then you would need to turn the Dmax down to under 300HP which is what GM did with the Alpha.
BTW the H1 Alpha runs 2:56 gears so I am not sure the NP242 would be happy with the 3:07 gears at sustained highway speeds.
This is why I have a set of 2.56 for my M1165

VP0985

Maybe not the best choice for a Dmax conversion, with the 3:07 gears you will push the GM transfer case beyond its capabilities and it will likely grenade, in stock form the front shaft does not turn on the highway and it does not like to turn 2500 engine RPM which is what the Dmax/Allison will be doing with the 3:07 gears, one custom installer found this out the hard way after two transfer cases took out two transmissions when they let go.
Thank you for the information. I have a 2006 duramax truck complete. I was planning on changing motor, trans and dif. I'm not sure what the gears are in the 06 but I'm just in the planning stages so things can change quickly. I restore cars for a living and am not scared but I also don't want to waste money or time. The M1151 is my wife's Christmas present

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the information. I have a 2006 duramax truck complete. I was planning on changing motor, trans and dif. I'm not sure what the gears are in the 06 but I'm just in the planning stages so things can change quickly. I restore cars for a living and am not scared but I also don't want to waste money or time. The M1151 is my wife's Christmas present

Lift it and put 40” tires on it! Problem solved

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks