• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arrived...........the M1009/BIAB1 from german M1008

cucvrus

I Like it a Lot. I traveled far and wide in that M1009. Then I gave it to my Son. Things slid down hill from there. I remember my Dad giving me a 64 Impala SS. That didn't end well either. I feel this M1009 has been to Hell and Back. Nobody else would have fixed it. It's not perfect but when you have lived the lifted life and return to normal again a few blemishes are bound to appear. Let me keep my eye open for an original DD. I still use the old style on my new plastic cans. Thank you for sharing. I had a great day working and made a bit of progress.

cucvrus

This is the last picture of the M1009 Decade/BIAB1 leaving the assembly point. It was sent to a better life in Germany. It saw hard use and abuse here in the USA. I wish the new owner Good Luck and ask that he enjoy it forever. I done my best. I am just a hobbyist not a professional. I always say " Fake it till you make it" Enjoy and vote for this fine resurrection. No one else would ever have rebuilt this M1009 and it would have been lost forever. Thank you for your support and the recognition on the bumper numbers.
M1009 on its way..jpg

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
....... at the moment I unfortunately don't have that much time, but I still had to completely replace the diesel filter unit with my new one. The old filter was leaking at the pressure switch, like so many others.
80955711-4AE7-4D40-93CC-1242F45A8713.jpeg

I have already mentioned it from time to time that you buy parts for vintage cars when they are offered and not when you need them......... so of course I was able to use an original part and not a stopgap solution, something that only works.
AD6FD1E5-D4A4-42A1-8AB7-40E05E6C3697.jpeg

56A50223-DEB8-480D-A2A4-A9F1CDC73AB4.jpeg

........... when I had the hood open anyway, I was also able to retighten the V-belt of the servo pump. It had squealed a few times recently

2ADEEA1B-E78C-41FB-8C0A-1B21076747CB.jpeg
9EC242B1-0C32-4E86-BC6C-43C092C7E0B5.jpeg
B2A57888-4A71-45C9-99B6-B44DB41EBE77.jpeg

........ I don't know why this work is so unpopular (LOL) ........ ........ I loosen the screws, place my lashing strap, span in until the V-belt has the correct tension........ then I go to the kitchen ...... have a coffee ........ and think again about whether the tension is really ok....... then I go back to the car and tighten all four screws.

Guyfang

Staff member
In 1978, my wife and I were driving aimlessly around Germany for two weeks. One day we drove by the Babenhausen Kaserne. As we were needing some gas stamps and food, we turned around and went back. The Kaserne was in fairly good repair, and we just had to walk around and look at it. What a dream come true. Simply wonderful! I know another retired guy who spent 8 years there. He lives about 4-5 klicks away from the Kaserne. Brings tears to his eyes every time he goes by.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In 1978, my wife and I were driving aimlessly around Germany for two weeks. One day we drove by the Babenhausen Kaserne. As we were needing some gas stamps and food, we turned around and went back. The Kaserne was in fairly good repair, and we just had to walk around and look at it. What a dream come true. Simply wonderful! I know another retired guy who spent 8 years there. He lives about 4-5 klicks away from the Kaserne. Brings tears to his eyes every time he goes by.
Must be like Chanute AFB for me......turned it into "public" housing......terrible.....mattress in yard, trash and garbage everywhere.....was a cute little AFB when I was there, many moons ago....sad we let thing deteriorate.....

Thanks for sharing!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Must be like Chanute AFB for me......turned it into "public" housing......terrible.....mattress in yard, trash and garbage everywhere.....was a cute little AFB when I was there, many moons ago....sad we let thing deteriorate.....

Thanks for sharing!
Similar to Orlando RTC in Florida, Closed in a 1993 BRAC directive. Flattened all the buildings and now it has a pile of apartments on that dirt now. A place called Baldwin Park. I guess that is better than vagrants and nasty mattresses. How much better I don't know.

I found an old picture of the mock up of a frigate (2/3rds Size) to learn firefighting.
Everybody on a ship was taught to be a firefighter first!

USS Bluejacket 1968-1994 @ Orlando RTC.jpg

I just didn't have the heart to post a bunch of pictures of the closed and flattened base.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
maybe someone still has something "indecent" in the garage ....... and would like to get rid of it.....lol
The problem with the old GI ones is that the rubber has shrunk and they will not 'hold' onto the can when pouring. And the 'oriental' replacements have the 'washer' compression disc too thin to hold the rubber compressed, so they come off easily also. Use what you have for actually moving fuel from the can to the vehicle, and then look for an old GI one for show. 2cents

INFChief

View attachment 828683
Nobody believed that he would ever be finished, least of all me.

There were bigger problems, smaller problems, Covid-19 ........ but in the end only one thing counts .......... HE'S FINALLY HERE!!!
In the background the
skyline from Frankfurt/a Main.

Unfortunately, the LED headlights had to be replaced with poorer H4 headlights because they have no European approval number and without a number no successful safety inspection (TÜV).
View attachment 828689

The wide tailpipes either had to be smaller or had a grille in front of them so that no raccoon family or something like that can move in there......... I decided to destroy living space and just make it narrower, LOL.
View attachment 828693
............before

View attachment 828694
................now

Oh man, an old V8 gasser engine couldn't be louder........

The next time there is actually only cleaning and maintenance and a few refinements to do, which is always the case............ and of course it has to be driven.

View attachment 828695
Where in Germany?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks