• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arrived...........the M1009/BIAB1 from german M1008

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
……..well, the last time I was driving, BIAB1 didn't really take the gas anymore. No more full power, suddenly accelerated on its own or eased off the gas……

I had changed the entire filter unit some time ago, there was a new filter cartridge on it.
149C13CC-97E9-4793-B11C-A8C3581426FB.jpeg

Long story short……. after I exchanged the filter unit for a spin on filter……..just kidding ……….I changed the filter cartridge and everything was fine
I suspect because the filter cartridge was mounted on the filter unit and was stored openly for many years......something happened there, dirt, humidity etc......

………what can I say, now it drove normally again during a test drive………I come back, open the hood and see that…….
689EEA7A-50BB-437F-B0DE-4285F0603EAB.jpeg

After a quick inspection I found this…….

562E7226-E4B6-448F-B021-432F812D603B.jpeg
42686716-EE35-41F3-9EB0-A30D133003F5.jpeg

………exchanged the good old preformed hose for a new piece of hose that unfortunately is only available by the meter…

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
again a test drive, came back, open the hood and find this……. What I thought then, I'd rather not reproduce at this point, LOL

CE1D6C70-6C10-477D-BFBF-4A84414B7B82.jpeg

…………OK, of course I immediately ordered an electric pre-supply pump……. You can't trust the mechanical stuff...... …….Sorry, that had to be done, I just can't stop joking……

Of course I still have a suitable pump in the basement... but it's only for absolute emergencies (Airtex cheap) so I ordered another Delphi because I don't need the car at the moment... why the pump came to an end so early, it hasn't had that many miles on it yet?……….why all this has to happen to one man in one day?………who knows.
AFD89A52-3CBA-4728-B44F-F03C35930486.jpeg

…….more to come

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
……….another thing I almost forgot……..many oil deposits have formed in the area below the front crankshaft oil seal…….. something had to happen
1D937390-7ECB-4408-91BF-32857CC0D855.jpeg
0F718604-85A6-467B-B169-6F29FE49D9A9.jpeg

………so the front crankshaft oil seal and the crankshaft damper were changed.

After removing the old crankshaft damper, it became clear why it was so oily……….many small rust spots were on the shaft, so the crankshaft seal could no longer seal properly.

I was surprised that the rubber parts of the damper looked like new.....no cracks or anything like that.

A9803A19-62CF-4C05-84AB-944BEC279152.jpeg

A new AcDelco damper was installed……….. and now everything is dry again and as it should be

Sezzo

……….another thing I almost forgot……..many oil deposits have formed in the area below the front crankshaft oil seal…….. something had to happen
View attachment 875893View attachment 875894
………so the front crankshaft oil seal and the crankshaft damper were changed.

After removing the old crankshaft damper, it became clear why it was so oily……….many small rust spots were on the shaft, so the crankshaft seal could no longer seal properly.

I was surprised that the rubber parts of the damper looked like new.....no cracks or anything like that.

View attachment 875895

A new AcDelco damper was installed……….. and now everything is dry again and as it should be
Good work. It’s nice to see how much you care about this M1009. She deserves it. Lots of issues can be prevented if the truck does not stand outside in the weather all year long. This is what I would work on. Finding a dry and safe spot for her. How many miles did you put on since the truck is yours?

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
……..they are and will always be old cars…….there is always something to do……. it's a good thing......it would be almost boring if everything always works......screwing and maintenance is also part of the hobby…………..it is sometimes more fun to find original and good spare parts than to drive the car………. It's always a pleasure to find a certain part ...... here in Germany it's a little more difficult than in the States
……it is also a pleasure for me to equip and maintain BIAB1 as original as possible with spare parts

……the goal is and still is to keep an old vehicle in the condition that you can say …..” 1000miles…. no problem „
………I drove 2200 miles with BIAB1 ......

Last edited:

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
……..Lift pump has been changed.

After I removed it, I saw that actually only oil comes out of the opening.

……..at some point I had heard that if the CDR valve no longer works properly, oil is then blown out of the sump hole by overpressure………. then oil is blown out of the small holes in the lift pump

……..so I changed it right away.

……..now after an extensive test drive I can say everything is tight again and as it should be………we won't know what it was exactly (Lift Pump, CDR Valve) I'm just glad that everything is fine now

…….a little idea about safety at work
E0967425-6745-4874-A7BE-6CE5D0F7E24B.jpeg

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
…….not much is happening at the moment….. some work will have to be done soon, then of course I'll let you know.
A problem that has been shown more often lately was a squeaking which came from an alternator ( right side )……. long story short…….. some people know the problem... you have an alternator overhauled and you get the part back, …..they have a smaller pulley mounted to increase the speed / charging capacity………and the usual V-belts no longer fit and are too long.

But now I have the right size
IMG_6775.jpg

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
………Yesterday I took part in a round trip across the Eifel ...... it also went through the Ahr Valley, which was hit by an extremely high water on July 14th, 2021……. until now the situation has just been cleared up ...... they are still a long way from a real reconstruction ….. ( we send billions of euros into the world …….and here in Germany …..nothing is progressing …..sad )……25 vehicles took part ….. it was a long day, the trip together was about 150 kilometers………. In total, including the journey there and back, it was about 530 kilometers
IMG_6929.jpg

IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_6911.jpg

IMG_6900.jpg

IMG_6890.jpg

IMG_6877.jpg

IMG_6876.jpg

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
……. 3 weeks ago ………I was at a vintage car exhibition…….cardboard sheets were handed out at the entrance…….. when I asked what they are for………
they said to me that this is a condition of the parking lot owner ...... they have to go under the car because of the oil stains.
IMG_6817.jpg

…..I didn't want to disappoint anyone

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
……. 3 weeks ago ………I was at a vintage car exhibition…….cardboard sheets were handed out at the entrance…….. when I asked what they are for………
they said to me that this is a condition of the parking lot owner ...... they have to go under the car because of the oil stains.
View attachment 902625

…..I didn't want to disappoint anyone
Nice to see that you were NOT dribbling on the pavement!
Hate to say it, but that little piece of cardboard isn't big enough for some vehicles...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks