• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Been sittin' awhile- How to start?

poppop

When the motor is turning do you get smoke out the pipe? I started one yesterday that had been sitting for years. First attempt no smoke but I let it spin to build up oil pressure to get it lubed before starting. I suspected the shut down lever in the pump was stuck in the off position. Pulled the cover off the pump and it was stuck. Freed it up and she started right up and ran great. I was going to dump the fuel but it looked and smelled good so did not. This is the second truck I have had that the shut off was stuck in the off position and had to be freed up.

Mtrdrms

When the motor is turning do you get smoke out the pipe? I started one yesterday that had been sitting for years. First attempt no smoke but I let it spin to build up oil pressure to get it lubed before starting. I suspected the shut down lever in the pump was stuck in the off position. Pulled the cover off the pump and it was stuck. Freed it up and she started right up and ran great. I was going to dump the fuel but it looked and smelled good so did not. This is the second truck I have had that the shut off was stuck in the off position and had to be freed up.

Did you do this with the pump still on the truck?

poppop

Yes, its easy. there is a coverwith two screws that the shut down rod sticks out if. The pull cable is attached two it. Remove two screws and the cover. You will see two more screwa with a tie wire in them. Between the screws on the bottom side is a small lever. work it with your finger back and two and it should free right up. Maybe spray some WD 40 on it if it is difficult. If it is stuck then there is a possiblibitity the rack could be stuck in the wide onpe possition. Be prepared to pull the stop cable if that happens and also have the trans in high gear so you can stall the engine if it runs away.

poppop

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about a duece. Going back and looking at you avatar you must be talking about a Blazer. You could still have some stuck parts but I dont know anything about the Blazers. They have an electric shut down could be bad.

appalacious

THE BEAST LIVES!!!!
I'm so happy I could cry.

I bled the fuel filter first. But I had pumped air into the IP first by trying to start it without bleeding it.

So after I bled the fuel filter I tried to start it some more, no luck (needed to bleed the IP)

So then I bled the IP lines and lit those glow plugs for a whole verse of happy birthday.
and then another half verse.

That thing started on the first crank.
:-D:-D

18 months, its been too long.
I couldn't've done it without everyone's help.
Thanks a ton.

J