• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

JoshHefnerX

I painted my truck a couple weeks ago with the following:
1 gal Behr marquee paint
1 bottle flotrol
12 oz of water

Paint color is 383 Green (FSS 34094)

I was spraying with the harbor freight HVLP turbine paint system and used about half the paint. Next time I will probably add more water. It looked very rough when I was spraying it but smoothed out to a pretty good finish.

View attachment 574482
How big of a bottle of flotrol did you use with the paint whne you sprayed?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, we are going to be attempting soon on the M880. Either tomorrow or next week/weekend. Trying to get her ready for the Veteran's Day Parade 7 NOV.

shepherm

That may be the size of the bottle, but there are specified amounts printed on it. One bottle will do many gallons. It's not 32oz to the gallon.
You are correct there are instructions, and I followed them, up to 32 oz per gallon of paint with airless sprayers. My HVLP gun needs thinner paint than my airless sprayers, so I worked up to the max ratio. With the HVLP gun and high air temps I was spraying in this seemed to work good, but if you are painting with a brush or in cooler temps you may need a lot less.

1bonehead

Were you aware of the OSHA regs, robson1015?

They might not apply to you as long as you don't contract for outside work. But there is a reason for the regs, and you'll want to consider the reasoning (especially driving in a cab in the "firing zone" of that regulator). You don't want to get hurt. Easy enough to mount the two tanks vertically fore-and-aft it looks like.
They actually make a regulator "cage" that allows for legal transport with regulators on. Not to expensive and helps save the regulators from being beaten up.
That will allow for transportation of the bottles with those on but I still would stand them up. I have seen them break free when the valve stem broke off. They will do a lot of damage.

JoshHefnerX

Well, I can say that here in phx @ 90 deg you need more than 4:1 flotrol. I mixed up at that ratio w/ a couple of oz's of water mixed in and the hf hvlp did kinda splatter. So the texture is pretty rough. However, I'm happy with it, covers up my crappy bodywork. lol

I will also say I had another learning experience. I decided to try rolling the roof after work one night. It was cooler (for phx) by the time I finished- maybe 70-75 and a bit humid as we'd had a couple of days of rain. The dew that popped up overnight managed to wash the paint off the top and down the sides all over the concrete.. I was kinda flabbergasted.

Kloakndagr

I painted mine two years ago, Home Depot paint, Home Depot airless sprayer, I'm going to touch up some areas, for the most part the paint held up well. In fact I using the same paint to paint the 28 foot enclosed trailer it going to pull.

Last edited:

Kloakndagr

I painted mine two years ago, Home Depot paint, Home Depot airless sprayer, I'm going to touch up some areas, for the most part the paint held up well. In fact I using the same paint to paint the 28 foot enclosed trailer it going to pull.

Attachments

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,

My buddy, the painter, is concerned about the durability of the Behr paint. It is showing some very easy scratch marks. I'm figuring it'll take a few days (longer when it's cold out) to fully dry and such... how off/on am I on this?

Attachments

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bike mine is holding up well just got back from rally.
The only scratches are on the flat camo spots.
And the mud comes off easy on the behr.
By the way I used semi gloss because the flat does scratch and holds mud.

tobyS

Hey guys,

My buddy, the painter, is concerned about the durability of the Behr paint. It is showing some very easy scratch marks. I'm figuring it'll take a few days (longer when it's cold out) to fully dry and such... how off/on am I on this?

Used Behr Ultra Premium on my 817 dump truck with floetrol. It takes from a week to a month to fully cure. Reminds me of the cure rate for concrete. After 111 loads, it needed a touch-up. Red oxide primer on rust is a must.

Doc2012

So, I want to get this straight.

All I have to do is go to HD, tell them to look up competors paint, have them use the federal standard paint code, and mix it, correct?

SO, if I wanted to go with a Medium Gunship Grey, I would tell them to use the Federal Standard Code 36118, correct?

Got that code from federalstandardcolor.com, for those that willing to help out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks