• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

tobyS

So, I want to get this straight.

All I have to do is go to HD, tell them to look up competors paint, have them use the federal standard paint code, and mix it, correct?

SO, if I wanted to go with a Medium Gunship Grey, I would tell them to use the Federal Standard Code 36118, correct?

Got that code from federalstandardcolor.com, for those that willing to help out.
Yes. I bought yesterday at HD and all they needed was the number. If in doubt, buy the sample size.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I want to get this straight.

All I have to do is go to HD, tell them to look up competors paint, have them use the federal standard paint code, and mix it, correct?

SO, if I wanted to go with a Medium Gunship Grey, I would tell them to use the Federal Standard Code 36118, correct?

Got that code from federalstandardcolor.com, for those that willing to help out.
Yes, but the "trick" that got me is, the NAME of the color? it's that number. So the name of Medium Gunship Grey, is not FS 36118 or Medium grey 36118, it's just 36118.

tobyS

When I first went to HD, we used "FS 34094" for example where yesterday we only used "34094". The name Green 383 means nothing to them and neither would medium gunship gray. See chart.

http://www.federalstandardcolor.com/

I don't know why, but the label also says FSS...which makes no difference if all HD paint computers are the same, which I think they are.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20160103_161015.jpg20160103_161039.jpg
Starting our next MV project! I did have some trouble this time at HD with the code, for some reason they had trouble with the 24087?

But we worked it out!

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the 8th month mark now and yes, I've had a few scratches, but with extra paint form the gallon, it's a fast easy fix. So far this MASSTERS paint scheme is still holding up!
The Deuce was our second MV, our first was a museum aircraft 10 years ago and that one is still holding up well as well. Keep in mine, this is all under New England weather!
20151015_164420_HDR.jpg

AZK9

I finished my M35A2 a few weeks ago... just before the rains beat down on it.

AZK9-FreshPaint.jpg

After tons of prep work, we gave it 3 coats of uncut Behr 383 with the cheap
HF air sprayer. For the time being... it will stay green. I might add the brown
and black to complete the camo this summer. However, the CARC 383 is fast
becoming a family favorite!

AZK9

Thanks Ahab...

It actually turned out pretty well... in spite of the rains.

The whole family really put in a lot of effort with the prep.

The Behr paint went on great and has the look of CARC,
which is what we wanted. We covered both the underside
and up top (excluding the soft top and wheels). I did the
wheels in flat black. We're thinking we'd like to leave the
inside the original 1970 OD, besause it is in nice shape
and just feels right when we're sitting inside. 8)

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a nice looking Willys, and not a hint of rust anywhere. Is this rebuilt, or just real well-preserved!?
Sorry, but thanks, it is rebuilt, it's had panels replaced from previous owners, and there is rust holes, just can't be seen here. We;ll just make sure they don't get any worst!

AZK9

... We're thinking we'd like to leave the
inside the original 1970 OD, besause it is in nice shape
and just feels right when we're sitting inside. ...
Sheeeeeesh! I hate typos! :roll:

bee-sauce.jpg
Seems like it's been a long, bizzz-eee day.

I finished my M35A2 a few weeks ago... just before the rains beat down on it.

View attachment 602184

After tons of prep work, we gave it 3 coats of uncut Behr 383 with the cheap
HF air sprayer. For the time being... it will stay green. I might add the brown
and black to complete the camo this summer. However, the CARC 383 is fast
becoming a family favorite!
Looks good. Did you get the electric sprayer?

wsucougarx

Looks great!!!!! Every time I see your guy's projects, I'm just itching to get my Goat painted! I've still got a ways to go before I throw some Behr on her. When I do, it'll be done in the ole winter MERDC to be era correct. Thinking I'll spend extra time on her and have sharp lines rather than blended. But, we'll see how impatient I get and when.

Attachments

tobyS

Nice truck AZK9. Are those 9.00 or 11.00 tires?

If your paint had long enough to set up and isn't bleeding from the rain by now, I doubt that it will. I painted a test area on an M105 and first it rained then snowed and it still hardened up fine.

AZK9

Looks great!!!!! Every time I see your guy's projects, I'm just itching to get my Goat painted! I've still got a ways to go before I throw some Behr on her. When I do, it'll be done in the ole winter MERDC to be era correct. Thinking I'll spend extra time on her and have sharp lines rather than blended. But, we'll see how impatient I get and when.
Thanks, Mike! Much appreciated... especially because you are the one who motivated me to actually jump into it!
Plus, the extended warm weather gave me the 'window of opportunity' I needed to transform 'The Rust-Bucket'!

Looks like you've got a great place to do work inside. Is it also a heated environment that would aid painting?
My entire family worked well into darkness each night in a 'frantic effort' to get our deuce painted and the drying
started before the rain had a chance to wash (or pound) the Behr off the completed surfaces. Being that all of our
work was done outside in the 'elements'... we were extremely fortunate to have avoided a nasty disaster!

I think your plans for the Goat sound perfect! There's something about the concept of, "era correct" that really
appeals to me. That's the main reason I've decided to leave the interior of my M35A2 in the original 1970, OD
condition. When I sit inside I almost feel as if I'm in a 'time machine'. My family and I love the history of the truck
and feel honored, to be in a position, to be able to preserve this awesome piece of American Military treasure.

The Behr paint has proven, so far, to be a great protective product with an authentic appearance. For us, it has
been a great investment, a fun project and a cost-effective option which protects the truck and... enhances the
value and look of this military workhorse.

I thank you for helping me 'discover' the Behr option! Although I know there are many other quality paint products
and application methods out there for MV restorations, this one has worked very well for our situation. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks