• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BACKGROUND:
When we first got our Deuce it was a cab and chassis witht he cab being firetruck RED and the frame being black. The bed we bought separately was CARC 3-Color Camo. For a quick fix I simply over-sprayed the red cab with NO surface prep except a quick wash and wipe down - NO Sanding - NO Primer - then I simply applied matching 3-Color Camo using WALMART 99-cent/rattle-can green, black and tan of the red. Some of the red was well-weathered and faded while other areas were somewhat glossy.
Now, after 5-6 years of outdoor exposure 24/7/365 some of the rattle-can paint is thinning and exposing the red underneath. (Pretty good performance I'd say.)

Now we'd like to go ALL GREEN with the BIG WHITE STARS of the Vietnam Era.

QUESTION(S):
What would y'all recommend for prepping the surfaces prior to spray application of the BEHR MARQUEE EXTERIOR #24087 Green paint?? Sanding? Primer? (There's little to no surface rust.)
--Prep over Rattle-can and RED areas??
--Prep of the CARC on the BED and the Side Boards/Troop Seats??

What BEHR shade of WHITE paint would you use for the BIG STARS and Stenciled Lettering?
--Would you first paint the STARS, let cure, then mask them out and apply the GREEN or vice-versa??

Is there anything else I should be asking???

THANKS !
John

randygk

BehrPaint Job

Well, after going back and forth between carc and Behr, I went with the Behr. I had done two deuces with carc from Rapco and was happy with the paint and color (1 - tan, 1 forest green).
I tested a spray can of the 383 green from Rapco and didn't like the limey color compared to the Behr 383 green. Used the Federal Std. colors of green, brown, and black. Also like the flat of the Behr, as well as water clean up. I just painted the areas of each color the same color, overlapping a bit. I am happy with the color and will have to see how it holds up.
IMG_0921.jpgIMG_0922.jpg

AZK9

... I have a couple questions for the guys painting with the H.F. gravity gun.

1) How to thin it, if any? I've read a lot about Floetrol and H2O. Qty needed of each or just one? Again, I'm going for 24087 semi-gloss Vietnam Era.
2) Air pressure used? The gun has a range of 20-70 PSI. ...
I used the HF spray gun and did not thin the paint at all.
I do not recall the exact pressure I used, but it was likely higher than low.
I remember when I tested it at lower pressure... it tended to 'spit' at times
rather than spray cleanly and evenly.

Hope it helps. Have fun with the gun! I really like mine. Better than my
'higher end' guns!

Remember to post a pic or two when you finish! [thumbzup]

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 640051
Our M38, Saturday at a Jeep Jam, Blackstone Mass.
It sure looks tiny among it's younger generations.

But let us recognize that that one... yes the little one... stands tall and honorably as the war veteran, one much nearer the GREATEST GENERATION which continues to salute and bring noble recognition to all those who have served.

God bless America!

Lawdog734

I painted the GMV this weekend using Desert Tan Behr Ultra Premium. I'm very impressed with how the stuff went down - I only had to water it down a little bit. Question for those of you that have done it before - how long do you let it sit before you feel comfortable letting it get rained on? I currently have it parked in the garage to keep any morning condensation or errant rainstorm off of it, but the wife will only let me do that for so long before I start hearing about it......

GMV-Painted.jpeg

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My understanding is the drying time is pretty quick but the curing time can be 30+ days. I think you'll be fine putting it outside. It'll probably cure quicker in the sun.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't rush the initial drying...and consider using Flotrol to slow it down. You end up with a smoother and harder finish ultimately, with better adhesion. I wouldn't use the sun to make it dry faster if I had a choice.

It seems to act like concrete curing.

Some of mine has been rained on the night of putting it on. I noticed streaks that are not there if left for a couple of days. I may be mistaken, but later in the curing, it seems to get harder with rain.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

My understanding is the drying time is pretty quick but the curing time can be 30+ days. I think you'll be fine putting it outside. It'll probably cure quicker in the sun.
Don't rush the initial drying...and consider using Flotrol to slow it down. You end up with a smoother and harder finish ultimately, with better adhesion. I wouldn't use the sun to make it dry faster if I had a choice.

It seems to act like concrete curing.
Someone here will know better than me, or likely you can just read the product literature:

- But if the curing is anything like that for concrete then moderate conditions (temperature, humidity, etc) are what you want.

Direct sun might lead to overheating, and that might not be the best thing.

Piper Cub

Definitely want to try to keep it dry and clean for a month or so. I don't have indoor space so all the trailers I've painted have been done under a shade shelter with a bunch of tarps set up to try to protect them. After a couple weeks water doesn't seem to be an issue for me(probably helps that humidity is about a 20 minute event right before and after the rain comes down here). If you need to move it a lot before a month be very careful, I've peeled sheets of paint off accidentally up to 3 weeks after painting.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely want to try to keep it dry and clean for a month or so. I don't have indoor space so all the trailers I've painted have been done under a shade shelter with a bunch of tarps set up to try to protect them. After a couple weeks water doesn't seem to be an issue for me(probably helps that humidity is about a 20 minute event right before and after the rain comes down here). If you need to move it a lot before a month be very careful, I've peeled sheets of paint off accidentally up to 3 weeks after painting.
I haven't experienced that level of adhesion or fragility problem with the Behr over CARC flat paint or red oxide primer.

I used my 817 within a few days and it cleaned up fine (111 loads). Considering I had bricks slide down the side, it took a very small amount of touch up.

Attachments

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I painted the GMV this weekend using Desert Tan Behr Ultra Premium. I'm very impressed with how the stuff went down - I only had to water it down a little bit. Question for those of you that have done it before - how long do you let it sit before you feel comfortable letting it get rained on?
You do realize that its house paint right? I don't think too many people put their houses inside a garage when its done being painted.

Piper Cub

I haven't experienced that level of adhesion or fragility problem with the Behr over CARC flat paint or red oxide primer.

I used my 817 within a few days and it cleaned up fine (111 loads). Considering I had bricks slide down the side, it took a very small amount of touch up.
That's pretty good. The one I had a problem on was over a combination of CARC, red primer, and gray primer. I pressure washed it several times but may have still had something going on with spills on it that I couldn't see. All the others have been successful but I've been really cautious since that one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks