• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that is sad. They had fantastic spray nozzles. Each can came with two nozzles in the top. I read somewhere on this forum that their manufacturer either closed up shop or something similar. Supposedly they had a problem to start with, but that had been fixed. I haven't bought any for about 9 months - so I can't defend their current product.

Of course, I was spraying the side of my truck. Any drips would have gone into the grass. All I know is that my hand wasn't wet..
Mine didn’t come with two nozzles, and I’ve read the same about the change in their can supplier recently. Tried everything in every forum/post I could find and each can dribbled and sputtered when 1/2 used, no matter what I tried. Now I’m worried I can’t top coat it with anything else for a while.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a big fan of the behr paints. I'd go with the Satin as it looks better (IMHO), Dirt does not stick to it as it does with flat paints20190709_153959.jpg and does not show finger prints or oil smears like the flats can. Anything more than satin shows every imperfection and also shows slight waves in the hood.

My truck and trailer has been painted now for over four years with great longevity. I keep a small Mason jar of paint in my truck and some throw away 1" chip brushes of any touch up needs. Hope this helps.

Mark

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a big fan of the behr paints. I'd go with the Satin as it looks better (IMHO), Dirt does not stick to it as it does with flat paintsView attachment 862032 and does not show finger prints or oil smears like the flats can. Anything more than satin shows every imperfection and also shows slight waves in the hood.

My truck and trailer has been painted now for over four years with great longevity. I keep a small Mason jar of paint in my truck and some throw away 1" chip brushes of any touch up needs. Hope this helps.

Mark
Are you transmitting on either of the antennas on your truck and if so what and is either on cb or ham freq ?

Gypsyman

A couple of questions...

How many gallons of each color on average to do a 3 color on an M35A2C?

How is everyone getting what appear to be such clean edges between the colors? The airless sprayers I've been around seemed to have a lot of spatter around the edges of the spray pattern.

Richard

3rdmdqm

Just used Behr Marquee semi-gloss from Home Depot over standard gray rustoleum rattle can primer on a few parts. Only issue is paint is really soft and has stayed tacky for 3 weeks. Can says can take up to 4 weeks to cure. Therefore having to hang parts for long periods otherwise they stick to just about anything and take fingerprints. Not real happy with cure time but a few parts have cured and so far are ok. Those still tacky you can actually rub with talcum powder or regular car wax, buff and it gets rid of tacky feeling.

DaneGer21

Just used Behr Marquee semi-gloss from Home Depot over standard gray rustoleum rattle can primer on a few parts. Only issue is paint is really soft and has stayed tacky for 3 weeks. Can says can take up to 4 weeks to cure. Therefore having to hang parts for long periods otherwise they stick to just about anything and take fingerprints. Not real happy with cure time but a few parts have cured and so far are ok. Those still tacky you can actually rub with talcum powder or regular car wax, buff and it gets rid of tacky feeling.
What paint code did you use?

3rdmdqm

I’ll have to check the code when I get back. While disassembling the truck I found small parts that were the original 1968 dark olive green never touched by sunlight. Took to Home Depot and they color matched the paint perfectly. Put some on one of parts with original paint and you couldn’t tell the difference. Was an exterior paint used. Also have a gallon of the Behr Metal Primer I am going to try on large surfaces like frame and cab and see if it adheres and cures better since it is made specifically for the paint. Doing complete frame off restoration.

Kevgentile

What's the procedure for cleaning a fully cured behr repaint? By the time it's had time to cure I can only imagine the amount of dust that will accumulate on the body. I assume it would be a bad idea to attempt to clean it during the curing process?

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
This was painted in 2015 with Behr premium ultra with brush and roller in my driveway. Truck is stored outside on Cape Cod and has held pretty well. Some rust through but the prep was minimal. Some touch ups for peeling but not much.

Attachments

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sun is your friend when it comes to house paint curing. Don't wash it Don't wipe it just leave it alone. After three weeks or so you can wash the truck. My Behr paint has been on now for over 4 years and has held up very well. Hope this helps.

Mark

20190709_153959.jpg

Terra1936

I had already primered with rustoleum rusty metal primer before discovering this site. Not much additional info regarding sealing existing primers to avoid the hydroscopic effects of Behr latex acrylics.
Any recommendations?
Kilz works great between the different paint make ups. I have had good success. Home Depot can do a little tint on the Kilz. I have mine tinted black and it looks light grey. Better than white.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks