• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BEOD Mounting

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just electrical shorts and the fan relay going bad constantly. You can bypass the fan relay clutch by unplugging it, and many maintainers suggest it due to the loads carried.

As far as coolant problems, we constant have cracked radiators or the coolant system dumping everything.

I’m not near any of the trucks now but I can tell you that they have a 6 speed transmission not the standard 3 speed found in the 4 seaters.

Photo wise, what are you looking for? It’s essentially a sectioned box in the back for organization and a 2 seater up front.
The BEOD is supposed to be mounted to the M1097A2, which is a standard A2 heavy variant with the 4 speed transmission. I have never heard of any military HMMWV having a 6 speed transmission.

So when you say electrical issues, you are talking about the HMMWV itself having issues, not the BEOD?

As for the photos, a few posts back I took pictures of a couple aluminum pieces that came with my BEOD, and never did figure out exactly how they were supposed to mount. Other than that, just some inside pictures showing all the different areas so I can see if there is anything I have or don't have that is supposed to or not supposed to be there.

Thanks.

EODsurplus

So that is entirely false. We still have BEODs and so do most NG units. We have more problems with coolant systems and electrical wiring with them than any vehicle
I wasn't aware of that and sorry for spreading bad information. When I was in, our supply guy said it was an MTOE change from the BEOD to M1151s and then later to Cougars and MATVs. I was stationed at Yakima / JBLM and all the companies here got rid of them. I figured it was an army wide because of MTOE. I also didn't think of reserve units.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hows the progress on your truck?
Currently disassembled again so I can paint the BEOD and the truck, as well as working on installing a plate to mount my red dot stuff to. Cleaned it all yesterday, today is doing some tape and masking, tomorrow will be painting.

5b4671a3bcb20eb694dc098e8d3d6ae5734a2302-3.jpg
This was after hitting it all with a wire wheel then pressure washing it, soaking it in Purple Power cleaner, then pressure washing it again.
Planning to do everything in 383 green to start with, then add the black and brown later, depends on how I like the straight green.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint is still wet, but getting darker and flatter looking the longer it sits

11a8a686af1bbb8ba97b019d987e8875d1b5fd63-2.jpg11a8a686af1bbb8ba97b019d987e8875d1b5fd63-1.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think your paint job is a really good job. Im kinda considering doing it myself now
Thank you.

There are a few spots that are a little light, a few others where there is too much and it ran a little. Rained a little last night so can't do much again until it dries.
Need to finish painting the roof rack and the windshield retainers.

Only issue I have is my doors are 3 color camo. Haven't decided if I want to paint them or not. Roof is also camo, but with the rack on it will be difficult to see so not that important.

I might be over your way in September as I'm registered for the NorthWest Overland Rally in Plain, hitting up Selah is an extra hundred or so miles of driving out of my way, but I've been wanting to stop in for a while now.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the paint darkens up quite a bit in the first 24 hours when it dries.
Here you can see where I touched up a few areas I didn't get covered well enough on the first pass.
95186c51a320a02d77f901f9f93b8186487b90db-7.jpg

Then here is with the doors on. The BEOD seems to be a little darker than the HMMWV and less sheen, not sure why but hopefully it evens out.
95186c51a320a02d77f901f9f93b8186487b90db-4.jpg

Attachments

EODsurplus

Thank you.

There are a few spots that are a little light, a few others where there is too much and it ran a little. Rained a little last night so can't do much again until it dries.
Need to finish painting the roof rack and the windshield retainers.

Only issue I have is my doors are 3 color camo. Haven't decided if I want to paint them or not. Roof is also camo, but with the rack on it will be difficult to see so not that important.

I might be over your way in September as I'm registered for the NorthWest Overland Rally in Plain, hitting up Selah is an extra hundred or so miles of driving out of my way, but I've been wanting to stop in for a while now.
I haven't been to the NorthWest Overland Rally in a few years now. I keep wanting to go back but it just hasn't worked out. I thought with this pandemic they would just cancel all together. As for stopping in Selah I don't have to much here that would probably interest you. I mainly sell ammo cans and military generators. Most of the big things I sell out of my house here.

Keep up the good work. Wouldn't the purist in the hobby of military vehicles appreciate the runs in the paint? It would be more authentic.

EODsurplus

So the paint darkens up quite a bit in the first 24 hours when it dries.
Here you can see where I touched up a few areas I didn't get covered well enough on the first pass.
View attachment 797236

Then here is with the doors on. The BEOD seems to be a little darker than the HMMWV and less sheen, not sure why but hopefully it evens out.
View attachment 797235
Did you spray the paint with a gun or roll it on?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you spray the paint with a gun or roll it on?
I used a sprayer. I really don't like painting, so wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible.

This is the basic model of sprayer I used. Used about a gallon and a half to paint the truck and the BEOD. Didn't do the inside of the truck or BEOD, but did do the top of the fenders and a few other things.
FLEXiO 970 Sprayer

Used the Rapco (gilespie) paint. Cleanup wasn't too bad, just ran hot soapy water through the main unit, and then used some Xylene to clean all the sprayer bits.
Nice thing about this sprayer is when you run low on paint you just pour some more into the can that's on the pump unit, or you can just switch cans. You aren't having to unscrew jars and hold that extra weight. It will also spray at every angle.

Downside is it wasted a bit of paint and the cleanup took almost as long as the painting did (which wasn't that bad, and a whole lot faster still than using brushes and rollers)

In the photo a couple posts back you can see where I touched it up with the brush. I was hoping it would dry to look the same as the sprayed paint, but it isn't, so I ordered some spray cans. There isn't enough surface area for me to justify using the sprayer and having to go through the cleanup again when a rattle can or two will give me the finish I want, and can touch it up as necessary.

If you are painting just the truck, then one gallon would be more than enough to cover all of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks