• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BEOD Mounting

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very Interesting box. Are those sold on GP or ________?
There were recently 5 of them sold on GP from the local yard. No idea if or when any more will make it to sale, as it wasn't a very high volume item for the Army to begin with (my EOD buddy estimates maybe 500 were made total).

From the outside it looks almost identical to the larger contact maintenance truck body, interior is very different.

Looking at past auctions, it looks like 33 of these have been sold through GP, with none currently active.

EODsurplus

I bought one of the first ones that sold on GP. I served in the army as an EOD Tech and this setup you can say is the first true EOD vehicle designed for EOD. Honestly they are a cheaper version of the mechanic box. I wished i knew the rear doors came with the one you got out of Washington I would have bought that one also.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one of the first ones that sold on GP. I served in the army as an EOD Tech and this setup you can say is the first true EOD vehicle designed for EOD. Honestly they are a cheaper version of the mechanic box. I wished i knew the rear doors came with the one you got out of Washington I would have bought that one also.
Kind of glad you didn't then. First 2 went for halfway decent prices, the next 3 went for more. I got the last of the 5 auctioned and paid the 2nd highest price of the 5.
I'm not sure how many of them had the doors and stuff, but glancing through the pics all 5 had a bunch of stuff piled in them including the roof rack for the cab and some trays I haven't quite figured out where they go.

EODsurplus

Kind of glad you didn't then. First 2 went for halfway decent prices, the next 3 went for more. I got the last of the 5 auctioned and paid the 2nd highest price of the 5.
I'm not sure how many of them had the doors and stuff, but glancing through the pics all 5 had a bunch of stuff piled in them including the roof rack for the cab and some trays I haven't quite figured out where they go.
Take some pictures maybe i can help

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
95% certain they are supposed to fill in where the rear passenger seats go, but they just don't fit the space properly in my truck, the seat base seems to be in the way as well as some type of power plug behind the battery box.
I don't plan to put them in at this time, as I'm keeping my tire chains and some other stuff heavy stuff down there and wouldn't be able to access it.
(My tire chains are cut down semi chains with cross chains every other link instead of every 4 like normal, so pretty heavy)
That and it looks like I'd have to lift the box off part way in order to do it.

06a20121f077caeb6e832f6a56899896e0ee1250-1.jpg
This one looks like it would go behind the driver
06a20121f077caeb6e832f6a56899896e0ee1250-2.jpg
and this one on the passenger side. (the rust mark on the front left looks like it would go under the BEOD front mounting bracket)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I have you here, I was told there was some type of bracket on the inside of the windshield frame that the roof top rack bolted to. Do you remember what it looked like? Was it just a flat piece of steel, or was it maybe some type of angled piece that went over the top of the frame and distributed the stress?
Then the rear mount for the roof rack, did it have any through bolts or just a rivnut in the top of the B-pillar? ( mostly just wondering if it went all the way through, if it's a rivnut I doubt anyone in EOD took these racks off and looked at it)

EDIT: I was sent a PM letting me know the storage rack over the cab isn't part of the BEOD but is instead a "Kit, Camouflage Rack and Stowage Rack Assembly" and the parts I need are found in the HMMWV parts manual.
So yes, it does go all the way through the B pillar, bolt goes up and washer/nut on top (I'll use some Lexel sealant to keep the hole in the soft top from leaking) and the inside bracket for the top of the windshield is this:

I see no reason why I can't just use a piece of flat steel and a couple of grade 8 bolts in place of this bracket.

Last edited:

EODsurplus

95% certain they are supposed to fill in where the rear passenger seats go, but they just don't fit the space properly in my truck, the seat base seems to be in the way as well as some type of power plug behind the battery box.
I don't plan to put them in at this time, as I'm keeping my tire chains and some other stuff heavy stuff down there and wouldn't be able to access it.
(My tire chains are cut down semi chains with cross chains every other link instead of every 4 like normal, so pretty heavy)
That and it looks like I'd have to lift the box off part way in order to do it.

View attachment 789687
This one looks like it would go behind the driver
View attachment 789688
and this one on the passenger side. (the rust mark on the front left looks like it would go under the BEOD front mounting bracket)
Im not so sure about those parts. Mine didn't come with those either. Sad thing is I don't think there is a BEOD left in the army they were taken out of service around 2015. Pictures of them are hard to find on the internet.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im not so sure about those parts. Mine didn't come with those either. Sad thing is I don't think there is a BEOD left in the army they were taken out of service around 2015. Pictures of them are hard to find on the internet.
Nice to know it's not just me going insane (or at least not in this instance)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I need to get the airlift bumper if I want to be able to use the steps up and stand on the roof.
or just a short ladder.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this pic as well. So now I'm going to have to get the roof top rack on there as a spot to store my spare tire, and now I know how to tie down the antenna as well.

K5X7YAJPBZGH7HJQYMXM7SCEFA.jpg

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Don't think that little robot is going to get that tire off the rack. Come to think of it, I don't think I could either. CAMO

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't think that little robot is going to get that tire off the rack. Come to think of it, I don't think I could either. CAMO
Yeah, I am rethinking having a tire up there. I'll probably bolt it to the wall inside the BEOD (when I finally get around to acquiring a spare), and maybe actually find a camouflage net set to put up there (eventually).
This whole thing is now making me rethink getting a rear airlift bumper as well. Wasn't really interested in one before, but now that I see they mount the first step onto it for climbing up to the roof I might end up with one.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Air lift bumper and Rino tire carrier is the ticket for not busting your back. Easy crank it down to the ground and roll tie around. Crank the blown tire up and go back down the road. ONLY problem is getting into the back end (top) quickly. Got to work the Rino a bit then swing it out of the way. Cool for the first time or two , then a pain in the butt...but better that a broken back. Will save a lot of room too.

It's hard to even flip one (tire) up when it fall flat to the ground.

If you have a subscription to the gym... skip the above, CAMO

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air lift bumper and Rino tire carrier is the ticket for not busting your back. Easy crank it down to the ground and roll tie around. Crank the blown tire up and go back down the road. ONLY problem is getting into the back end (top) quickly. Got to work the Rino a bit then swing it out of the way. Cool for the first time or two , then a pain in the butt...but better that a broken back. Will save a lot of room too.

It's hard to even flip one (tire) up when it fall flat to the ground.

If you have a subscription to the gym... skip the above, CAMO
I put tire assemblies in the back of my truck on several occasions using lawnmower type ramps. They roll up with only a little effort and down with no effort at all (except the running 50 yards to make them stop)
As I'll be using this as an active work truck, the rhino carrier would be in the way a lot more than I'd like (and the BEOD has a long space that should hopefully fit the ramps and is the wrong size for anything else I carry)

GAEOD202

So that is entirely false. We still have BEODs and so do most NG units. We have more problems with coolant systems and electrical wiring with them than any vehicle

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So that is entirely false. We still have BEODs and so do most NG units. We have more problems with coolant systems and electrical wiring with them than any vehicle
Do you have access to the BEODs with the possibility of taking a bunch of good pictures of everything in/on them for those of us who have never actually seen one in person can do it properly?

Also, what have the problems with the electrical wiring been, as well as with the coolant systems? Anything specific to look for or modify to prevent issues?

GAEOD202

Do you have access to the BEODs with the possibility of taking a bunch of good pictures of everything in/on them for those of us who have never actually seen one in person can do it properly?

Also, what have the problems with the electrical wiring been, as well as with the coolant systems? Anything specific to look for or modify to prevent issues?
Just electrical shorts and the fan relay going bad constantly. You can bypass the fan relay clutch by unplugging it, and many maintainers suggest it due to the loads carried.

As far as coolant problems, we constant have cracked radiators or the coolant system dumping everything.

I’m not near any of the trucks now but I can tell you that they have a 6 speed transmission not the standard 3 speed found in the 4 seaters.

Photo wise, what are you looking for? It’s essentially a sectioned box in the back for organization and a 2 seater up front.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks