• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Diesel Generator

Stalwart

Stuart, I don't think you'd ever be sorry you bought one.
Jonathan,

That's what I'm thinking. Problem is I live in the upper left corner of the Continental US and all I seem to find is the smaller and much larger units. A friend of mine got one a while back that had only a few hours and looked new but he gets stuff from the DRMO directly. By the time GL gets their turn, all the good stuff seems to be gone or has the dreaded red "X" with a circle around it . . . at least up here. I'll just have to keep my eye out around the country and just pay some shipping.

One of those truck APU's would be fun on the HEMTT frame rails for our yearly camp outs. [thumbzup]

steelandcanvas

Jonathan,

I'll just have to keep my eye out around the country and just pay some shipping.[thumbzup]
My closest GL is Ft Carson, that is where I purchased my 003A. If we find one there, I have a couple of Club Members in Colorado Springs that might inspect it for you, if fact one Guy was a genset mechanic. What do you think?

Danger Ranger

Yes, this is an old thread, but did the original question ever get answered? Bit of a hijcak ehh? I too think civilian, but I would love to see an update or a finished project. :beer::-D

Isaac-1

The problem is the original question is sort of vague, sort of like asking what is the best kind of car to use for the commute to work?

Having said that it is hard to beat a MEP-002 or MEP-003 in that size (output) range, however they are big, heavy, and loud.

Ike

SSG Rock

bratpackdad,

I also have 2ea MEP-003 10K, Both mounted on 2ea M116 trailers, One for the house and one for the road. The 10K will do most everything you need.

SSG Rock

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I consider myself as an expert on home power systems, in my opinion the Military 3kw w/ask the 5kw and the 10kw are the best options, only problem is you cant make it an auto start. Also of note only buy the units with the ASK sound suppresion system. These run quiet...Important...!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want to stay at a low 1800rpm, you egt that with a diesel + the HP can be lower for the Hp required for a bigger generator head. Hence more power for your buck...

rustystud

I also have a 003A
But I always felt a tri-fuel genset would be nice, it would give the the option of burning gasoline,LP or NG or even one that just runs on LP., You would never have to worry about old gas in the tank or carb and storing/buying LP is not a problem
I know this is an ancient thread but I just have to add my 2 cents worth. I lived off grid for 10 years. I used batteries and generators and kerosene lanterns. I lived like this not because I wanted too but because power would cost over $20,000.00 to bring in. I bought a 500 gallon propane tank and 4 one hundred gallon tanks. The hundreds powered my house utilities ie: furnace, dryer, stove. The 500 gallon fueled my generator. I had a 10KW generator with the Vanguard 18HP engine. I had this with a remote starter, so I could start and stop it from the comfort of the house. Now here inlays the problems I had. You must run a generator at least 8 hours a day to keep your batteries up and your freezers working. Actually it got run on average 12 hours a day. The generators would only last about 1 year. I had one last 2 years. This was with running synthetic oil and changing it out twice a month. The problem was not the rings or cylinders, (which would look NEW after teardown) but the valves. Propane does not lubricate the valves like gasoline or diesel does. What would usually happen is the generator would be running fine when suddenly flames would start shooting out the exhaust ! I would tear down the engine and find the exhaust valve sucked up into the head, completely destroyed ! This happened everytime. So for someone who wants to have a dependable generator I would only go with diesel. I now own one MEP003a, two MEP002a's , one 30D36R 3KW, and two MEP-501a 28volt units. All work great. Don't get me wrong, propane generators have there place, but not as your main back-up for your house in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ratch

I know this is an ancient thread but I just have to add my 2 cents worth. I lived off grid for 10 years. I used batteries and generators and kerosene lanterns. I lived like this not because I wanted too but because power would cost over $20,000.00 to bring in. I bought a 500 gallon propane tank and 4 one hundred gallon tanks. The hundreds powered my house utilities ie: furnace, dryer, stove. The 500 gallon fueled my generator. I had a 10KW generator with the Vanguard 18HP engine. I had this with a remote starter, so I could start and stop it from the comfort of the house. Now here inlays the problems I had. You must run a generator at least 8 hours a day to keep your batteries up and your freezers working. Actually it got run on average 12 hours a day. The generators would only last about 1 year. I had one last 2 years. This was with running synthetic oil and changing it out twice a month. The problem was not the rings or cylinders, (which would look NEW after teardown) but the valves. Propane does not lubricate the valves like gasoline or diesel does. What would usually happen is the generator would be running fine when suddenly flames would start shooting out the exhaust ! I would tear down the engine and find the exhaust valve sucked up into the head, completely destroyed ! This happened everytime. So for someone who wants to have a dependable generator I would only go with diesel. I now own one MEP003a, two MEP002a's , one 30D36R 3KW, and two MEP-501a 28volt units. All work great. Don't get me wrong, propane generators have there place, but not as your main back-up for your house in my opinion.

I don't quite understand why this would happen. Is it definitely the fuel? Diesel is just air passing the intake valve and (if its running well) burning gases passing the exhaust valve, not much different than propane. Gasoline will only lube the intake if the fuel provides any lube.

I also have had several propane/ng gensets run for years as standby's that are still running great today (granted, not as long as yours would run). One I have now is an adapted Ford V6 that's been faithful for 6 years at least.

Are you sure that's the result of propane and not something else? Sandy atmosphere, thin air, close to seawater, etc?

rustystud

I don't quite understand why this would happen. Is it definitely the fuel? Diesel is just air passing the intake valve and (if its running well) burning gases passing the exhaust valve, not much different than propane. Gasoline will only lube the intake if the fuel provides any lube.

I also have had several propane/ng gensets run for years as standby's that are still running great today (granted, not as long as yours would run). One I have now is an adapted Ford V6 that's been faithful for 6 years at least.

Are you sure that's the result of propane and not something else? Sandy atmosphere, thin air, close to seawater, etc?
I also was the main mechanic at a large fleet that used propane vehicles. I personally had a 3/4 ton pickup converted to propane.(wish I hadn't sold it ) So I know that propane works great, but you need to know it's pitfalls too. The Ford V6 your using has ample oil to the valves, and I'm sure the valve seals are leaking just a little bit as almost all do unless you go to the hi-po specialty seals. But even so after time you will see wear to the valves due to the lack of lubrication. On a small engine like the gensets use this problem is greatly increased due to the lack of oil (smaller system) and smaller valves themselves. One of the problems modern diesels are facing is the low sulphur fuels used to decrease emissions. This also has less lubricating qualities and at first use, injection pumps where failing across the nation ! Now newer seals and other internal parts are being used to prevent this. Go and ask any repair shop that deals with propane gensets and they will tell you the same thing. As far as my area goes, I live in the woods, 50 miles from the water, no sand, air is fine. The problem is the fuel. Tear down one of your gensets and look closely at the valves and seats, you will see what I mean.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks