• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Biggest Box for LMTV

coachgeo

he did though say it was M1087 though.

Tis a bit of a rare bird. Hate to see the box sold off the back. It's special purpose model FMTV set up just for that rare box. Would make SWEEEEEEEEEEET Expo truck just like its. As a potential Expo rig you could potential sell whole truck and box for enough $$ to buy two FMTV 6x6.

http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m1087.php

Last edited:

ke5eua

he did though say it was M1087 though.

Tis a bit of a rare bird. Hate to see the box sold off the back. It's special purpose model FMTV set up just for that rare box. Would make SWEEEEEEEEEEET Expo truck just like its. As a potential Expo rig you could potential sell whole truck and box for enough $$ to buy two FMTV 6x6.

http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m1087.php
True he did say it was a 1087. I'm just going off that the OP asked what size box would fit on an lmtv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ke5eua

I appreciate all of the comments and insight from everyone.
The thing that I can't seem to wrap my head around is how 3000 pounds can actually affect the stability of a class 6 truck. I understand slight understand 3000 pounds being something that you are aware similar to a 25' boat behind a diesel F350; you no it is there but it doesn't effect the truck capabilities enough to mention.
I have owned internationals 4700 and 4900. Excursions, C4500, C5500 and F450's and it would be hard for 3000 pounds to affect the stability of any of these trucks. My single cab F450 4x4 has a 12 tall steel box and a 20,000 winch up front on a steel bumper and it always seems stable although has tons of weight hanging off the front and rear. I understand the kite effect that the box has with the wind but that effects all trucks the same way that don't have wind deflectors. Is it possible that some are confusing the characteristics of a loaded truck vs an unloaded truck with instability. These trucks were meant to be driven by young inexperienced drivers, I don't think they would have such high success in the Army if they could not endure a lot of abuse, overloading, improper loading, and plain reckless driving. I can only imagine the obstacles that this truck had to complete before it could be added to the Military operational inventory. (I have seen enough on Youtube and heard about enough on Ft. Bragg)
I have spent most of my life around the military and know that MOV see a lot of abuse especially when leadership isn't watching.

I guess I will find out in the near term.

Thanks
It's all about the center of gravity both when you start before adding the box and where it changes to after adding the box.

Your 450 already has a low center of gravity to begin with. The box on the back can't be 12 feet tall given the max height is 13.6 before permits. The load height on a f450 is 28" loaded, 32" unloaded which means adding a 12' tall box would put the overall height to 14'. Your CG would be roughly 7' from the ground. That's at if not slightly above your roof line.

Check this thread out, this question was recently asked in a different way.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?153150-FMTV-with-Shelter-which-model

ke5eua

12 overall height for a glorified F150 was my point vs a class 6 war proven battle wagon.
A 10'x8' box makes more sense, CG would be a little lower.

War proven, oh I needed that chuckle this morning.

'03-'04 I drove a 1078 nearly everyday for convoy security in Iraq.

The LMTV platform has a reputation for roll overs, more so when adding boxes and the van version.

You best solution would be the S280, it fits, it works.

We had a FMTV with a S280 in the back along with a custom toolbox before it. Truck was the long bed variant and we didn't have any troubles with it. We also had about 2 tons of equipment in the toolbox (we were the 3rd shop for working on M1's, Bradleys, basically all ground based weapon systems) so the weight in the bed kept it grounded.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is sexy right there I tell you what.
Mike did you guys have any of the hi/low aluminum shelters in Iraq? And if so, how did they work? I'm thinking about getting one for a M1082 trailer and converting it in to a camper.

f8617

It would be great to have roll-over protection for the LMTV/FMTV, but the tilt-cab overly-complicates the design.

A box-body provides the opportunity for adding effective roll-over protection, and help prevent against rear cab collapse.

Converted trucks, especially to liquid tankers, are a big, big roll-over risk, if contents move.

I noticed, the M1082 trailer, with 77psi in the tires, rolls a lot, just by one person's movement; yet the same movement on the M1078 truck, with 55psi in the tires, yields nearly no roll.

ke5eua

I appreciate all of the comments and replies. I guess I will either get a S280 and crawl around inside or look for an ambulance box.

Thanks
There's a guy up in your area I got a 250 shelter from couple years back. He has several 280 shelters available.

Couple other places within ~200 miles that has lots of 280 shelters sitting waiting to be picked.

The ambulance body could be a good alternative, and I'm sure a shop could take the bed off and fab up a mounting solution to put it on the frame.

If looking for an ambulance body look for one that was on a class 6 chassis, preferably the freightliner type chassis. That will give you the biggest bang for your buck.

Something like this:

Last edited:

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious Gunny... what model 5th wheel trailer did you use?
HEAVILY modified Open Range Range Roamer series.. The original company, before they sold it, (2015) made some great framed. quad welded, alum framed tubing. .. Ill build or modify about anything, but most of these off the shelf Campers will just fall apart. steer clear of the cheapies. IMG_8392.jpg

coachgeo

HEAVILY modified Open Range Range Roamer series.. The original company, before they sold it, (2015) made some great framed. quad welded, alum framed tubing.... most of these off the shelf Campers will just fall ...[...image]
good input thanks. Agree on most campers will fall apart in this application (and even in their own application)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks