• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed 5ton costs

scarab63

Sorry if this is a deja vu thread for some long time members here.

Looking to undertake a project and trying to get a solid idea on parts & prices to complete the job.

Looking at a 1990 m931a2. I want to remove the 5 th wheel, shorten frame, remove an axle and put a bed on it. Pretty standard stuff.
Other than time and labor what will I need?

Looks like boyce offers a rear spring, hanger, bolt kits to Bob to a 4x for under a grand. Then what about the drive shaft? What do I do for that? Any vets around that can offer a comprehensive list of material, parts and rough costs? I'd really appreciate it.

MD

Last edited by a moderator:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not a m35 if it has a 5th wheel, as far as the driveshaft, just have one cut down to fit., I had one done for a 5t for $80

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What part of Ma are you from? Depending on your area labor costs, you should be able to modify the existing drive shaft for about $200.

If you purchased a cargo truck vs a tractor, you could shorten the stock bed and save more cashola. Mostly your expenditures would be welding gas, rod and paint!

Rick

scarab63

What part of Ma are you from? Depending on your area labor costs, you should be able to modify the existing drive shaft for about $200.

If you purchased a cargo truck vs a tractor, you could shorten the stock bed and save more cashola. Mostly your expenditures would be welding gas, rod and paint!

Rick
Hey thanks for the quick reply. I'm 30 north of prov r.i.
Looking at tractors because that's all that is really around here. I don't mind spending a bit more by using a tractor and adding a 1.5 t trailer bed to it because I like how the trailers look vs cargo bed anyways. Fender flares.

Guessing I need a custom drive shaft made since there's no "standard " bob length?

scarab63

Not a m35 if it has a 5th wheel, as far as the driveshaft, just have one cut down to fit., I had one done for a 5t for $80
Your correct. Looking at a 5t tomorrow with the 5th wheel on it. It's a 1990 M931a2. Sorry and thanks

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fixed title and mv type

Not many 5ton bobbers out there.

scarab63

Fixed title and mv type

Not many 5ton bobbers out there.
Thanks warthog.
Owner has this and a couple tractors. Just looking for some ball park costs because I don't want to get any smoke blown up my as $ on how cheap and ez it is. Not saying he will but you never know....
Pretty green to these m.v. and trying to get some knowledge from others.

MDScreenshot_2016-01-01-19-45-20.jpg

Vintage iron

I bobbed the truck in the picture. The owner is Charlie. That truck was a M931A2 and that is the original frame lenght. I have the springs to do the job at my shop. Give me a call, I am always glad to help out.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Like Vintage said.If you are using a tractor you don't have to cut the frame.I have built quite a few Bobbed trucks.

scarab63

I bobbed the truck in the picture. The owner is Charlie. That truck was a M931A2 and that is the original frame lenght. I have the springs to do the job at my shop. Give me a call, I am always glad to help out.
Received your p.m.
I'll call ya Monday afternoon. Looked at the truck today and took it for a romp around the block , but im still sleeping on it.

If I proceed I'm definitely interested in the springs. I'll probably Bob it a bit. Remove the tool box / tire carrier and tuck the bed up tight to the cab

Last edited:

Vintage iron

Bobbing a truck is a bit of work unless you have lots of mechanical experience and fabrication experience. Sounds like you are doing your homework with is smart.

scarab63

Bobbing a truck is a bit of work unless you have lots of mechanical experience and fabrication experience. Sounds like you are doing your homework with is smart.
Ya. Just trying to cover the bases here. I own tri axles and have access to a shop with everything and more to do it. Whatever I can't do I'm sure I could get a hand with fairly easy. 99% I'm going to pull the trigger on this project.

scarab63

Well I figured since I asked, I may as well keep a running cost tally for the parts and materials to do the job in case someone has the same questions in the future. I'll update with pics and costs as progress is made.

MRAP spring kit $225

Ok so you are planning on using the wider Mrap springs, are you going to make your own bottom plate with shock mount? I am going to do the same thing and was curious what your plans are. The mrap kit is missing the plate that the ubolts go through to clamp the springs to the axle, the mrap axles have that plate welded to the axle.

Also the Mrap axles aren't as thick so I think we may need some 2" lift blocks made from solid plate to keep our trucks at factory height, not sure about that yet, even so I believe the newer springs having only a couple of leaves vs 11 leaves is going to ride amazing, I'm going to use a set on the back and change the front springs out too.

scarab63

Ok so you are planning on using the wider Mrap springs, are you going to make your own bottom plate with shock mount? I am going to do the same thing and was curious what your plans are. The mrap kit is missing the plate that the ubolts go through to clamp the springs to the axle, the mrap axles have that plate welded to the axle.
Kinda winging it here......looked today and my plan as of now is to take the top axle saddle plate that's used on the tandems to locate the springs on top of the axles, and simply flip it upside down and use them as my bottom plates. That's my "eyeball " plan. No measurements taken yet. If that doesn't work I'll bust out the plasma cutter and make bottom plates.

No plans for the shocks yet