• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbing my M931 Suggestions, Advice, Recommendations for a trailer bed installation??

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a trailer bed. Left the spare tire carrier and tool boxes and did not cut the frame. . Turned out great. I may have a picture some where.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A deuce bed will work but you have to remove the tire carrier and tool boxes or cut the bed down

joesco

So yesterday, we did all the planning for the bob on the M931. Add the 1400 Michelin singles (4), use the deuce bed, cut out a 3' section, re-weld the bed, remove the tandem axle and center the single axle on the frame. Air bag vs spring suspension still up in the air. Thoughts????

350TacoZilla

my thoughts were airbags work great for on rd trucks and can be great for ride if you have time to setup properly. I decided to go leaf spring just to keep truck so simple a cave man could work on it lol.

Give this truck a look: http://www.jatonkam35s.com/M925-4X4CONVERSION.htm

In my opinion this is the best looking bobbed 5-ton. Probably a little easier to build to since you can put a deuce bed on it which means you don't have to torch anything. Also, you can still put a canopy on it.

Jatonka is a member here and if you search you may find more info on this build or he may be willing to answer some questions for you.

joesco

Thanks, I had emailed John a couple of weeks ago as I had purchased his spin-on kits for my former deuce a few years ago, but never heard back. Indeed it is a very nice build.

joesco

We are planning on cutting 3' out of the deuce bed which brings it down to a 9' bed and mount it right behind the spare tire assembly. It appears to be a perfect fit. Then remove the tandem axle and position the single axle in the middle of the frame / bed.

Can I just cut it down and run one axle in back?

350TacoZilla

hardest part of it seems to be air lines (capping the ones that went to rear most axle) I have my 923 pretty close to ready to pull the tandem setup and put on bobber springs (5 ton fronts)

Since the wheelbase of the 931 is 12" shorter than a 923 and since a deuce bed is shorter than a 5-ton bed, I would consider putting a deuce bed on the the 931 and not bobbing it. You would basically end up with a truck that is about 2-3' shorter than a 923. Conversely it would essentially be the size of an M35A3 but have the capacity and power of a 5-ton. The work required to do this would also be minimal. You could even mount the bed in such a way that it could be easily removed whenever you needed to use the truck as a tractor.

joesco

Thanks, I have seen a couple of guys on SS that have done that. I like that option as all I can see is just cutting the donor deuce bed about 3' and mounting it behind the spare tire carrier and tool boxes. No doubt a ton less work!! There are pro's and con's, the biggest advantages I see in Bobbing are handling, two less tires (or 4), less brake issues and one less axle to worry about. More comments welcome. Thanks again!

Since the wheelbase of the 931 is 12" shorter than a 923 and since a deuce bed is shorter than a 5-ton bed, I would consider putting a deuce bed on the the 931 and not bobbing it. You would basically end up with a truck that is about 2-3' shorter than a 923. Conversely it would essentially be the size of an M35A3 but have the capacity and power of a 5-ton. The work required to do this would also be minimal. You could even mount the bed in such a way that it could be easily removed whenever you needed to use the truck as a tractor.

Thanks, I have seen a couple of guys on SS that have done that. I like that option as all I can see is just cutting the donor deuce bed about 3' and mounting it behind the spare tire carrier and tool boxes. No doubt a ton less work!! There are pro's and con's, the biggest advantages I see in Bobbing are handling, two less tires (or 4), less brake issues and one less axle to worry about. More comments welcome. Thanks again!
I have a M35A3 and I wanted to bobb it for a long time but after taking it off road at the Georgia rally I decided to keep it a 6x6. A bobbed truck would be good for daily use but it is real had to beat 6x6 when you are churning through mud or climbing up a hill. I think one day I'll get my 4x4 fix with an LMTV.

trukhead

I would like to get a set of the slider ramps that sit south of the 5th wheel and north of the rear cross member. I'm configurating a slide on dump box for my M931A2 while stil retaining the 5th wheel and all the standard M931A2 furniture.:idea:
If you wont be needing them, and the shipping isn't too bad, I'd like to buy them.........:mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks