• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbing my M931 Suggestions, Advice, Recommendations for a trailer bed installation??

Thanks, I have seen a couple of guys on SS that have done that. I like that option as all I can see is just cutting the donor deuce bed about 3' and mounting it behind the spare tire carrier and tool boxes. No doubt a ton less work!! There are pro's and con's, the biggest advantages I see in Bobbing are handling, two less tires (or 4), less brake issues and one less axle to worry about. More comments welcome. Thanks again!
I'll have to search for these threads because I really like the idea.

For me, at 57 years old, my off-roading days are long gone! So that is playing a role in bobbing the M931.
I hear ya. Unless you are off roading or hauling a lot, a bobbed truck is probably more practical for every day use.

joesco

PM'd you...

I would like to get a set of the slider ramps that sit south of the 5th wheel and north of the rear cross member. I'm configurating a slide on dump box for my M931A2 while stil retaining the 5th wheel and all the standard M931A2 furniture.:idea:
If you wont be needing them, and the shipping isn't too bad, I'd like to buy them.........:mrgreen:

Vintage iron

Looks like you two old guys still have plenty of pep in you! Most people don't understand how much work this is! The truck is off to a great start.

joesco

Thanks Matt, but all the credit goes to Phil, I have been laid up the last few weeks. He puts the ever-ready energizer bunny to shame! No pun intended on Easter Sunday!!!!!

Looks like you two old guys still have plenty of pep in you! Most people don't understand how much work this is! The truck is off to a great start.

joesco

Thanks John, no this truck will be going to shows and parades. Phil is doing the work used the same setup (M101a1 springs setup) when he bobbed my deuce and I had a bed full of crushed stone and the deuce's suspension did even waiver. So my guess is that, even the spring set in the trailers are under-rated as far as load capacity.

Joeinderry

Hey Joe, did you need your driveshaft lengthened? If so, I just dropped mine off at Jons Shafts he quoted me $140. Im having mine lengthened 11" with a total shaft end to end about 63". I should have it babk tomorrow.

jdknech

have you thought about putting the spare tire carrier in the bed ouf the truck, and keeping the deuce bed full size? the bed would fit the frame perfectly without being cut down, if you moved the ract into the bed... just food for thought..

joesco

Yes, we did, but the take-off bed I bought has some rust / rot which happens to be in the section we are cutting out. My buddy is an expert welder and once the three foot section is removed and the bed is re-welded, you wouldn't even know it was modified to fit. Thanks for suggestion!

have you thought about putting the spare tire carrier in the bed ouf the truck, and keeping the deuce bed full size? the bed would fit the frame perfectly without being cut down, if you moved the ract into the bed... just food for thought..

joesco

Phil has installed the rear axle, no problems as the M105 axle set was a perfect fit and doesn't interfere with the air cans. He plans to beef up the springs with a spring-over set.

Attachments

350TacoZilla

man you and your buddy are making me feel like a slacker, I went today and started unbolting the tandem setup and I have to say its alot of work!

joesco

The progress with Mr. Zeus from Phil the Bob expert! Springs suspension had been installed, next install overload springs and u-bolts, wire wheel the frame, rattle can paint the frame and suspension with Rustoleum Camo Desert Sand. When that is completed, install modified drive shaft, reconnected air/abs system, bolt planking to frame, cut the donor deuce bed section out to length of 9' and re-weld, install new bed and finally swap out G177 for Michelin 1400 Super Singles. Once complete, wire wheel the bed and paint Desert Sand.

Parade ready by Memorial Day!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks