• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper number etiquete

197thhhc

The number on your truck should mean something to you. All the trucks we do have a unit number with meaning to us on them. This is the way to honor your service and the service of others who mean something to you. Go for it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am very proud to have the unit #'s that were on my Dad's Deuce from when he was in the Army '64-'67.

:D

panshark

If someone is offended by your actions, they can preserve their honor and sensibility by offering you a price for your truck that you can't refuse. A few phrases come to mind..."it's a free country" "talk is cheap, put up or shut up"

It's somewhat offensive to many here that the well-worn military assets that we love are sent to the crusher and exported as scrap. If anyone is offended by your rattle-can efforts you should educate them about how they can preserve history, etc. and save a truck from being destroyed/demilled

steelandcanvas

My latest Deuce will sport the same unit ID and bumper number as the Deuce I drove in Germany, '75-'77.
8 3F16 (8th Division, 3rd Batallion, 16th Field Artillery)
SVC 14 (Service Battery, 14th Vehicle)
As others have said, and I will concur, put numbers on the truck that mean something to you. It's a great conversation starter when someone recognizes the numbers or asks where you came up with them. You'll get no flak from anyone in this forum.[thumbzup]

SMOKEWAGON66

id have to agree with everyone here.. DO IT!!! i plan on putting my old bumper numbers from my M915a3 that i drove in europe and iraq onto my deuce...like someone stated..i earned the right :jumpin:

<-----37TC28TRANS 66-114

Last edited:

wiggall

I would say NO! Wait a minute WHAT DID I JUST SAY? Go for it it IS YOUR TRUCK, and YOU ARE HONORING YOUR SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY! THE BEAUTIFUL BEAST still has her # from the OREGON NATIONAL GUARD! G.L. did not paint over them!

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
My latest Deuce will sport the same unit ID and bumper number as the Deuce I drove in Germany, '75-'77.
8 3F16 (8th Division, 3rd Batallion, 16th Field Artillery)
SVC 14 (Service Battery, 14th Vehicle)
As others have said, and I will concur, put numbers on the truck that mean something to you. It's a great conversation starter when someone recognizes the numbers or asks where you came up with them. You'll get no flak from anyone in this forum.[thumbzup]
WOW, 75-77! That makes you at least....... Man you're an ole fart. LOL.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our Deuce was DRMO'd directly out of TOOLE ARMY DEPOT following a rebuild in 1991 - with 30 miles and 5 hours on her. Following that rebuild, she was never assigned to a unit nor given bumper numbers, but was sold to a County government for Volunteer Fire Department duty. We bought it from them.

Since she's registered as a Texas Former Military Vehicle, she carries NO LICENSE PLATES, but is instead registered with "Bumper Numbers" only.

Consequently, WE assigned her Bumper Numbers in accordance with current Army Regulations (with some "artistic license") to fit her current "assignment".

(See pic below)

Left Side:
Upper: USAF (Major Command)
Lower: 6971SS (Minor Command - 6971st Security Squadron (Intell Unit))
(These represent the unit in which I served the bulk of my 4-years of active duty. )

Right Side:
Upper: BARIOU (Unit responsible for daily maintenance: check oil, clean windshields, etc. - This is OUR LAST NAME - legitimately LEGAL! "Personalized Registration" with NO extra fees!!!)
Lower: ARK-1 (Convoy Designator - function, etc. - She's "christened" as The ARK for Acts of Random Kindness, Vehicle #1 (we expect more)... appropriately named for her mission!)

Also:
Top Rail of Tailgate: SERIAL NUMBER (requested by Vehicle Registration folks)

Attachments

Last edited:

LanceRobson

Years ago I started putting the unit markings of units I had served in on my MVs.

As an indicator of how far the Army's strength has been drawn down during the last 35 years, every single battalion and brigade I served in during the 25 year part of my career spent as an infantryman has been deactivated exept one battalion. I've got plenty of units to pick from.

The only time I think you would have an issue would be if you frequented the installation where the unit whose markings you are using still exists. That could be a little sticky.

Go for it.

Lance

EDIT: and thank you very much for your service.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say do it, it is your truck.

As for mine if I ever do put bumper numbers on it they will be along the lines of my squadron numbers, similar to Fitron114 CV-63.

All the time I worked on the flight deck I never saw a single Deuce.

;-)

sw

dragon1124

Thanks to the OP for asking, I think I will use the numbers of my great great uncle's unit numbers who was a paratrooper in WWII. If I can translate them, still trying to figure them out, I am new to MVs and unit numbers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks