• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper number etiquete

dragon1124

With this post, I think I will put markings honoring my great uncle that was involved in normandy during wwii, that has passed on.

I am just asking if this looks right to you.
Right side bumper 313TC - 9AF
if i got it right, 313th troop carrier, 9th Air Force.

and for the left bumper, was thinking of his plane's number. 42-68701

So does 313TC - 9AF
42-68701 seem about right? Thank you

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DO IT! When I restored my Deuce my best friend was in the 2/75 Ranger Bat and those were the numbers that are on My truck in honor or what he di and gave up for all of us, he also came back with a Bronze Star!
KK

bansil

Thanks everyone I now have one more pc of pie complete.........cheers

Now more "weird/oddball" questions to ask in other threads

Thanks again

DavidB

My trucks have the numbers of the unit ( 4ht infantry -4th supply and transportation Bn. ) I served with in Vietnam . The M35 has the number of the truck of the truck we drove over a land mine and it gave its life for us. Numbers on truck in avatar are the one I drove in country. Connected with a fellow who left the platoon two weeks prior to my being there at a car show through the markings. So be respectful and proud and go for it!
Me in the avatar and I got out in 1968.
DavidB

197thhhc

With this post, I think I will put markings honoring my great uncle that was involved in normandy during wwii, that has passed on.

I am just asking if this looks right to you.
Right side bumper 313TC - 9AF
if i got it right, 313th troop carrier, 9th Air Force.

and for the left bumper, was thinking of his plane's number. 42-68701

So does 313TC - 9AF 42-68701 seem about right? Thank you
That seems like a great idea. :beer:

Gastrap

Do whatever you want!
I have Desert Storm era markings on my Deuce & it was never there, nor was I. Already out by then!
If my tan truck ever turns green I'll put the markings of my Grandfathers WWII Jeep on it "45-179-1 AT-6", and my Grandmothers name was on the side
"Mary Eva".

P1010254.jpg

Last edited:

popz76

My trucks have the numbers of the unit ( 4ht infantry -4th supply and transportation Bn. ) I served with in Vietnam . The M35 has the number of the truck of the truck we drove over a land mine and it gave its life for us. Numbers on truck in avatar are the one I drove in country. Connected with a fellow who left the platoon two weeks prior to my being there at a car show through the markings. So be respectful and proud and go for it!
Me in the avatar and I got out in 1968.
DavidB
glad I found your comments here today as I'm gonna change the markings on the deuce to 4th Supply and Tran. Bn..I just do not know how to do the abbreviations. My neighbor across the road was in Vietnam (69-70) with the 4th Inf. Div. and his unit markings are on my M37B1... I did /do this for him.. and all ya'll cause I did absolutly nothin of consequense in my time (75-80) Hope ya can help me with this and thank fer yer service and a belated welcome home from me.

SMOKEWAGON66

Just to throw my 2cents in, i dont see any problems with using your old unit numbers, or even fictitious numbers if you want...its your truck. I am planning on using my old gun numbers off the HMMWV i rode around on in Iraq on my Deuce when its close enough to be called a Gun.

524 CSB 66-109

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While it's your truck and you can do what you want with it, my feeling is that if you served with a unit you have EARNED THE RIGHT to display those unit numbers. Without the individuals who make up the unit, it's just numbers. I don't have a problem with someone putting any unit numbers on a truck, just if they claim association with a unit they didn't belong to.

Last edited:

Ressoldier

It is more appropriate to have YOUR unit number on it then one you never served with in your carreer. Now the truck did serve with them and could be taken as preserving the history of the truck. I will give example of my combat patch, I am authorized 6 patches now. Four are from my first tour and two from my second. I kept getting tasked to support different commands plus a MACOM change mid tour is why i have so many from first tour. Anyways I was wearing one of the patches and ended up at that Units base for a conferrence recently. Now while I am authorized to wear it due to my assignment in theater several members felt I shouldn't have it on and took offense because I was only OPCON and not permanent duty assignment.

So like I started off more people would feel it proper to have a bumper number associated with your service then for one not associated. (Unless trying to preserve historical and you can back up with documentation the service of that vehicle).

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is more appropriate to have YOUR unit number on it then one you never served with in your carreer. Now the truck did serve with them and could be taken as preserving the history of the truck. I will give example of my combat patch, I am authorized 6 patches now. Four are from my first tour and two from my second. I kept getting tasked to support different commands plus a MACOM change mid tour is why i have so many from first tour. Anyways I was wearing one of the patches and ended up at that Units base for a conferrence recently. Now while I am authorized to wear it due to my assignment in theater several members felt I shouldn't have it on and took offense because I was only OPCON and not permanent duty assignment.

So like I started off more people would feel it proper to have a bumper number associated with your service then for one not associated. (Unless trying to preserve historical and you can back up with documentation the service of that vehicle).
I don't know if there's any "proper" ettiquite regarding putting on numbers, but that sounds like a logical thing to do.

I should've been authorized to wear a certain "airborne" units' patch, since my unit was OPCON'd directly to them for most of the deployment and did a lot of their dirty work. I would have only worn it though to P O the unit. It would have made up for some of the mistreatment we got just becuase we were NG. Anyway I got satisfaction by showing them how much I was making over there since I was on paid military leave from my work. That really ticked them off! :twisted:

Amer-team

There is just about no better tribute to an individual or a unit than displaying their numbers on a retired MV. My 42 is numbered to the 295 CE, which was an uncle's unit. He was also a POW, and it has the nickname of another uncle. The 53 M38A1 was numbered to the local NG unit and their commanding officer that was a great mentor to me in my youth. You should have seen his face when he would stop by and ask if he could take the jeep out on a Saturday. And a couple of the other vehicles still have their orignal markings and they will be preserved to keep the memory of those units alive.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Morning folks I have a 71 Deuce that I have done a complete restoration on and when I numbered the truck I did it to reflect my best friends service to our country, he was with the snd 75 Ranger Battalion out of Fort Lewis. Greg has been all over the world because of his BLACK PATCH having just recently finished his last tour in Iraq, he survived and came back with a Bronze Star and a lot of really terrible memories that he will be living with for the rest of his life. Greg is my best friend and has served his country to the fullest and best of his abilities, I do not mean to offend anybody with my truck numbering but also in all honesty I have my reasons and the numbers will NOT change!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks