• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap eBay LEDs - The Install

Originally Posted by Jones
Remember that you'll have to change flasher units since LEDs don't draw enough current to trigger a standard unit.
Here's a picture of Truck-Lite's unit.
I'm not sure about a mixed system either, if you're only planning the change the taillights.
Last, the LED flashers I've found so far aren't "omni-volt" (10 - 30 vdc), they're either 12 vdc or 24 vdc, not both.

I have a friend who installed only the rear LED lamp assemblies and flashers worked fine for a few days. Now they are intermittent or not working at all.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Other than buying a Truck-Lite flasher is there another solution? Perhaps a resistor wired into the circuit to give more load on the flasher... Any thoughts on the matter?
Yes, just put a resistor of the same, or slightly less value, as the light which was replaced with the LED, in parallel with each new LED. Make shure to have the correct wattage for your load resistors.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Allright, just bought the rears. Who can steer me in the right direction for the fronts now? I don't want to spend 132.00/ each; but I can understand if they aren't 23.00/ each, too....
All I can say about the fronts are -

Go to eBay and SEARCH. If you find a price you like, buy. Keep looking because prices that some people like aren't always there.

If you want more detailed info, PM me.

Billy Bobbed

Allright, just bought the rears. Who can steer me in the right direction for the fronts now? I don't want to spend 132.00/ each; but I can understand if they aren't 23.00/ each, too....

I got my front and rears for $250 new,and at the time that was cheap.Mine has the rubber boots and the paper#tags on them.I see them still selling for around $700 a set.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my front and rears for $250 new,and at the time that was cheap.Mine has the rubber boots and the paper#tags on them.I see them still selling for around $700 a set.
Times have changed. You can find the rears for as low as 20 each and the fronts for 40 each. You just have to be willing to SEARCH and be patient.

I have less than 150 in my set of four with shipping.

It was made MUCH easier by Kenny's hook up of some Ys and 3 ways and misc stuff to keep it factory looking when I wired the fronts to come on all the time and for the civie harness.

bigd3960

I measured the resistance of a #1683 stop/turn lamp and it was 2 Ohms.
Would a 2 Ohm resistor work?

Has anybody wired in a resistor as a load with the LED tail-light for proper flasher operation? If so, what Ohm resistance did you use?

Will the resistor diminish the brightness of the LEDs?

resistors worked in my car witch i have led blinkers in. In my car i used 6 ohm 50w resistors. and no the brightness was not affected at all. you can go to a site called V-leds.com they have the " fast and furious " type led and hid kits. they are all 12v though. but the diagrams might help.

Last edited:
I got a bunch of these lights today, they are Tan. In the listing they looked kinda green/tan. I know it should be one or the other, but the color in the pictures was kinda weird. They are really nice. They can be painted, and for the price, you can't go wrong.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks