• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check your fuel pump!!!

jluv1185

As some of you already know I broke down on my way to the LA rally at Tim's house. I was clipping along at 62 mph and all of a sudden she started slowing down, I clutched and the rpm's dropped to 0. I tried to start her with no luck. We (my girlfriend and I) coasted of to the side of I-12. I tried to start her a few more times still nothing. I listened for strange noises when she turned over and she sounded fine. I got out looked her over good, checked fluids belts and she checked out fine. I went to the tank and had Becca (my gf) flip the master on and heard humming and felt vibration. At this point I was getting pretty nervous. I called John (a member that owns a wrecker service) and asked him to give me a price on a tow, and told him what she was doing. He said hold tight, he'd be there with tools and would give me a hand. I called Tim and they (the members at the rally including Tim) offered to come get me. I politely declined. Meanwhile John called another member Mcinfantry to come assist. He had another member with him (im soory I forgot your screen name :oops:) We figured out she wasn't getting fuel, and assumed it had something to do with the in-tank pump. They brought with them a 24v external fuel pump wich they plummed into the line going into the truck, and dropped the feeder hose into the tank. This meant I couldn't use the cap. We had to improvise with a roll of blue shop towels, and zip ties. We bled her, and she started right up. I limped to the rally. Saturday Frodo and I pulled the pump, and BINGO! The fuel line fell off inside the tank...it was just pumping the fuel around inside the tank. We replaced the line (it was soft, and tattered) with some that Tim had on hand (thanks Tim!) slapped her back together bled her and she started right up! Hank took it upon himself to pull his pump, and sure enough his was on the verge of falling off, and was also rotted. So please guys taked 30 minutes and pull your pump to check the hose. It WILL leave you on the side of the road...

Thank you to everyone involved in my rescue! :not worthy:

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Exact same thing happened to me with clintogf's gun ring truck. Going down a side road, then all of a sudden dead.

When I diagnosed it, I found that no one makes that large a hose for submersible applications. The largest hose in the Gates catalog was 5/8" and these hose are 3/4" (I think). The Gates hose that came out of the pump a diesel compatible hose but not a submersible hose. I could not read a date code on the old hose so I do not know how long it lasted.

Attachments

Westech

CPL
My last deuce I ran with no issue for two years with a dead in-tank pump. If your truck is stalling while driving when the in-tank goes dead the Booster pump in the Injector pump might be failing also.

jluv1185

No fuel...No vroom. Man its a really bad feeling being stuck like that. Not one person, not even state troopers stopped to offer assistance. I must of saw 6 or 7 troopers drive by, and a couple of locals. I'm searching for a submersable hose right now. I'll post if I find something.

jluv1185

My last deuce I ran with no issue for two years with a dead in-tank pump. If your truck is stalling while driving when the in-tank goes dead the Booster pump in the Injector pump might be failing also.
A deuce will run with a dead tank pump (thanks for the lesson Frodo). But if the hose comes off in the tank your injector pump can't pull anything but air...

Boatcarpenter

Ahhh mcinfantry. Now there is a name from the old days. A man who had an interesting story to tell.
I wonder how his WC or M37 (can't remember which) is coming along.
Glad to hear he is still in on the loop.
BC

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had that same issue trying to find "submersible fuel line". We were lucky, the hoses were still good just loose at the top clamp.

Wrote about it here, fuel issues

Jimma

My truck started doing something similar on Saturday. We had driven about 140 miles that day and we began loosing speed and rpms. It kept getting worse. I suspected fuel filter issues. I pulled over and the minute I pushed in the clutch and let off the gas it stalled. I left the power switch on and flushed about a quart out of the primary fuel filter housing and it started right back up and ran fine the next 30 or more miles home. I am going to change the filters and then check fuel pump.

paulfarber

So would switching to a hard line solve the issue? Is the line 3/4ths for flow issues? Would going down to 5/8ths really cause an issue? IIRC there should only be 3-5psi from the tank pump, correct?

frodobaggins

We used 7/16" inner diameter regular fuel hose scrapped from a 5 ton, won't know how long it will last since it's not rated for submersion, but the 7/16 was a nice snug fit. We used a little lube and some elbow grease.
We tried 1/2" inner diameter hose and it was a little too loose for my liking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks