• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check your fuel pump!!!

onegmjack

Has anyone else measured thiers?I pulled mine and it is 1/2 inch.Could mine have an odd ball in it? Clinto thought they were 3/4 inch.Anyone measure thiers?

jluv1185

We used 7/16" inner diameter regular fuel hose scrapped from a 5 ton, won't know how long it will last since it's not rated for submersion, but the 7/16 was a nice snug fit. We used a little lube and some elbow grease.
We tried 1/2" inner diameter hose and it was a little too loose for my liking.
As Frodo said, 7/16 ID hose fits real snug. My deuce liked it just fine. She ran 62 all the way home without a problem.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Has anyone else measured thiers?I pulled mine and it is 1/2 inch.Could mine have an odd ball in it? Clinto thought they were 3/4 inch.Anyone measure thiers?

I was going off memory-and it was last summer I encountered this. I believe at this point the evidence supports me being incorrect so I would follow the advice of the other posters regarding the size.

jluv1185

I think 7/16 will be easier to fine.Thanks jluv1185.Thight fit is always better than lose.
You're welcome my friend. Just spray a lil lube one the ends, and she will go right on. The top hose clamp has to go on a certain way, or the pump wont drop back into the tank. Put the clamp on with the screw on the LEFT side push as far back to the pump as you can get it.

onegmjack

Clinto I just thought I mite have a gasser,but thinking about it, they would not have a electic fuel pump. I could be wrong.I know it hard to remember,back last year Clinto.I just trust what you say,you have done a lot more on Deuce's than I have.Not trying to insult you.As papabear says,you a Great Trooper

jluv1185

FYI 1/2 inch will work, but it doesn't take much to pull it off. I'd rather the extra grip. And i'm sure Clinto isn't offended...he doesn't come off as a ''man child'' like some people on here. I can't remember a month ago, much less almost a year.

onegmjack

Thanks jluv I would rather have it tight to.I worked at a Jeep Dealer a lot of the 4 liters came from the factory with the fuel hose in the tank to short.The same design as the Deuce. Had a lot of no starts,pulled in with the hose srinked up pulled lose from the fuel supply housing.

BIG_RED

No fuel...No vroom. Man its a really bad feeling being stuck like that. Not one person, not even state troopers stopped to offer assistance. I must of saw 6 or 7 troopers drive by, and a couple of locals. I'm searching for a submersible hose right now. I'll post if I find something.
I imagine most of us probably know that awful feeling. And I bet those who do, would've stopped to help. I got stuck like that once, when I had just started driving. I'll never forget it, and I'll always stop for others because of it.

I had been driving my dad's tiny toyota late at night in a ridiculous snow storm (Ironically, I was coming back from looking at a truck that I later bought - that truck was my first car) and it was hard to see the road. I had my drivers license for about a week, and I wasn't the sharpest kid ever. I decided I would pull over at a crossroads to read a sign. I knew the area well, but I could not see 50 feet and it was impossible to read the signs (I live on a prairie, there are almost no landmarks except signs :p) As it turns out, I was alredy driving on the shoulder, and I "pulled over" into a ditch. My car was not hurt, and I had fuel - so I wasn't gonna freeze to death, but I was completely stuck.

I felt real weak and stuck and out of control. It's hard to describe, but It just feels awful (I know you guys probably all know the feeling). Thankfully, within 5 minutes somebody in a Lifted Chevy 4X4 came down the road, and pulled over. He pulled me out with a short strap like it was nothing. I must've thanked that guy 100 times.

About a year later, I found a truck with the hood up in the parking lot of a hardware store in the evening. As I walked to my truck with my little sister, I looked to see what was up. There was a HUGE Black man with a tiny adjustable wrench looking rather angrily at his engine. I don't know what the situation is around where you guys live, but where I live, there is still racism towards Black people amongst older white folks. I moved my truck to one spot over from the big Black guy, got out and started towards him. He saw me pull up beside him and looked at me like he was about to tie me in a knot. I can't really blame him, I was a young white kid - he was an older Black man - he probably thought I had come to make fun of him or something. I said something like "Hey friend, need a hand?". I've never seen such a big smile from a man.

As it turned out, he had the wrong battery cable in his truck (some mechanic screwed up one town over) and it wasn't connecting properly, not charging, and he wasn't too technically inclined. I had tools with me and sent him into the hardware store for some washers (to get his side post battery cable to fit flush against the battery), gave him a jump start and had him on his way.

While I worked beside him, he told me he was from out of town, just passing through. He had to be at work at 8 am the next day, and had a 6 hour drive ahead of him (it was already early evening). He had no idea what was up with his truck. This was his work truck and had all his tools in it. (I think he was a mason, he had shovels and stuff - all he had for mechanics tools was a cheap adjustable wrench). The way he acted made me think that he had probably been a bit down on his luck lately, and getting to this job was a big deal for him.

When his truck was running, it was just getting dark. The guy had a smile ten inches wide, shook my hand (I have sorta-big hands, this guy's hands were ginormous. He probably could've picked me up around the belly with one hand.) and told me that if he ever saw me or my truck in his town, he'd do something nice for me (I got the feeling he didn't have anything to give me, but I had never intended to gain anything in helping him).

Sorry to thread-jack. Just wanted to put it out there that it feels great to help others, and it feels great to get helped. Thanks for the great heads-up Jluv (the thank button is hiding from me again..) Take care guys.

spicergear

Mcinfantry is a real good guy and has built some very, VERY nice trucks!!! I met him way back when the M715 Zone was fun. When the self proclaimed Grand Poobah got out of control, Mcinfantry, M1028, myself and a couple others pulled out and haven't looked back. Mcinfantry pulled out with style that the 715 board will not forget. [thumbzup]

kennys@wi.rr.com

Well I puled my fuel pump this morning to check the line. Everything looks new in there. My only concern is that it appears to be regular fuel line and not the submersible typoe of line. My line is also labled as 1/2", I am including pics so the size can be seen by all who read this in the future.

Attachments

Motorcar

Pulled mine also and found it all in good shape. The upper clamp was loose but still in place, who knows if it would have ever worked itself off. Still glad I checked it and now know it's good to go.

onegmjack

I called NAPA told them what I was looking for,(1/2 inch x 13 inches fuel hose for inside the tank for diesel). Said come on up they had it, was common on the bigger trucks.Looks pretty strong,will see what happen and how long of live it has.My old hose looked fine but while in to it mite as well repace it, I will save the old one for a emergency. The last time I drove the Deuce it acted like it was running out of fuel,but would clear up an run fine.I checked the tank when I first got the truck, tank was clean.Seems like a lot of dirt in it now,enough that the very bottem of the pick up is clogged,but the sides look fine.Time to clean tank and install new filters.I have had it two years and I guess the filter are over dew.Thanks everyone for all the help.Dwight

Last edited:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled mine also and found it all in good shape. The upper clamp was loose but still in place, who knows if it would have ever worked itself off. Still glad I checked it and now know it's good to go.
When we were having probs, and I pulled the pumps, they were NOT off, just lose. Lose enough that I could pull them off w/ the clamps still on. Changing clamps to a standard hose clamp instead of the factory clamp solved the issues.

During all that troubleshooting I had several conversations w/ people about "submersible fuel lines" , and was told that it's not really "hose", which has a inner and outer layer divided by a weave of fiber, but that it was more like a "tube" that is all made of the same stuff.
That means that you should be able to tell by looking at the cut end if it's one or the other.

goldneagle

Yesterday we drained the tank and pulled the pump. I had been wanting to clean out the tank since we found all that brown gook inside the filter canisters when we changed the filters. I had too much fuel in the tank to do it then.

Since I was down to less than 1/4 tank I thought it was a good time to do it. I was not planning to pull the pump until jluv1185 had his pump issue. It ended up easier to clean the bottom of the tank by reach into the large opening where the pump mounts.

Well I can say that my fuel tank is a lot cleaner now than when we started! We had a bitch of a time removing the fuel pump because of that **** hose bellying out. We also found a spare float from the tank fuel gage switch. Yes there was a float attached to the fuel gage switch. This spare one must of come off the previous switch but they never recovered it!

We shortened the hose on the pump by over an inch and re-secured it wit the stainless clamp. It was easier to get the pump back into the tank with the hose no longer bulging out. Took the truck to the gas station and put $125 worth of diesel in it. I added 2 cans of Seafoam to it as recommended from the LA Rally experts. Truck ran great on the way home!!

sp00n

I have an annoying problem. My in-tank pump is secured with a ring of PHILLIPS head screws instead of bolts. I don't know what moron thought that was a good idea but I'm stuck with it. I'm having power problems and I want to check the intake tube and screen.

Long story short most of the philips heads aren't budging because they were over-torqued and the head is very small. Any recommendations for extraction?