• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cobra crane

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's back up.

That contract number seems to be associated with F-16s
The guy I bought it from, was told from the guy he got it from. (Yeah yeah I know...) That the airforce used them to remove and reinstall canopies and various part of jet engines. Given that you found the contract number matches up with F-16's and the fact it has USAF stenciled on it, I guess he was right.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think Regent (originally based in CA) sold out to that other company. I think there is a typo in that "more info" page. It says it's 110v, but all the markings have 220V on the unit. I see the motor can run in 110v, but pulls about 30 amps then. I'd rather just leave it 220V to reduce the amp draw on that long power cord. (Not to mention I don't have any 110V outlets that could handle that draw!)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well the hyd shop called. To rebuild these cyl, I'm looking at $650. About double than I hoped. They stated it's due to the labor as these will have to be cut and welded to reseal without damage. I'm also looking at $300 in tires, $150 in batteries, and say $100 in misc. What is this thing worth fixed?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have any local Amish or Mennonite that do cylinder repair work? We do and they do it cheap.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nope, none that I know of. I asked if I could just pay for the tear down and repack them myself, then they let on about the cyls having to be cut/welded to reseal.

landfillman

Can you take a few pics of the ends of the cylinders and look around on the rod end for a small rectangular hole. ALot of cylinders come with a locking ring inside the cylinder rod end. Most shops will just cut the welds out with a lathe than mess with the ring. I used to work for a company that made custom cylinders and repacked and repaired older ones.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Went to the shop this morning to see what the deal is. The end cap is only in place with a snap ring. But the problem is that the cyl sleeve has a step to it about 4" down in the hole. So a ring compressor won't help with trying to reinstall these seals. While I'm not excited to pour $650 into the cyls, the shop owner assured me that I still would have a deal on the rig with the cost of the rebuild. I showed him pictures and he seemed interested in it on his own. He also agreed that it seems underrated for it's build.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Picked up two used auto batteries yesterday, placed them on trickle charge today. Going to make up a interconnect cable for them. Haven't heard from the hyd. shop yet. (Not really rushing to pay out the cash anyhow :lol: )

DieselBob

Just looked at the pics today. Man that is a nice crane. I could really use something like that now. Changed oil in my pickup the other weekend and found 2 piston cooling jets in the oil pan so now I need to pull the engine. :roll: A crane like that would perfect.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well $650 later, I've got two nicely rebuilt cyls. 2hrs later, they're back in place. 2 minutes later, I blow out the seals on the lowest cyl. Dang it.

I pulled the cyl off. Going to take it in and find out how much I'm going to cry about it. I still have to replace a hose and tires. Cranes are about as bad as boats!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This isn't one that was repaired. It is one that I had my eye on, it looked bad, but hadn't leaked. I guess it wasn't leaking since the other two were pouring.

3dAngus

$650 for two cylinders seem high anyway. Clean and change seals is about all one can do. Not that much to it, unless there was a parts count in there somewhere. Did they change out the cylinder or something?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks