• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Condensation and milkshake in my trucks valve cover

mbehne

Never given that a thought! I will have to keep my eyes out for a junk one!

With the that said, if it was mine p, that is how I would proceed. Once you bring the cyl to TDC, you pressurize the cyl, it should show bubbles in the cooling system if you have a problem with a head or gasket.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In aircraft, you put in 80 psi and anything above about 68, is good for leak down. It should be in the 70's

mbehne

I would think so. Just make sure you have a way to regulate the air and a way to keep the air from turning the engine over when you bring the pressure up quickly. More than 100psi probably wouldn't hurt a multi as I'm sure it builds way over 100 psi normally but it probably wouldn't make a leak any easier to find either.

Jeepsinker

It is coming down to looking like a cracked water jacket or a cracked head near an oil drain galley from the valve train. It isn't a leak in the intake or combustion chamber because it would hydrolock a cylinder upon startup if that was the case.
from the information you have given us it has nothing to do with any of the cylinders.

RAYZER

It is coming down to looking like a cracked water jacket or a cracked head near an oil drain galley from the valve train. It isn't a leak in the intake or combustion chamber because it would hydrolock a cylinder upon startup if that was the case.
from the information you have given us it has nothing to do with any of the cylinders.
I agree.

skinnyR1

Are both of these head issues, or is the water jacket the block.

Jeepsinker

I feel like you have a cracked head. You could pull the valve covers and run the truck up to operating temp and just observe what is going on in there. You may be able to see where the water is coming out of the crack at.

skinnyR1

I feel like you have a cracked head. You could pull the valve covers and run the truck up to operating temp and just observe what is going on in there. You may be able to see where the water is coming out of the crack at.
I did that. It just looked like blowby, no particular location. The only thing that was peculiar, was when I shut it down. The steam or vapor continued to come from the front part of the motor primarily.

mbehne

I absolutely agree with both of you,and not to argue, but any idea why his coolant pressure test isn't showing a drop? Is it just the volume of coolant not showing a pressure drop for just a qt/test?

I do know in marine engines (can't coolant pressure test as they don't have a radiator) and I have seen cracked heads cause water in the oil without hydro locking. I have always thought is was because as the head heated up, the crack widened and as it cooled, closed up....but that is just a guess.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think so. Just make sure you have a way to regulate the air and a way to keep the air from turning the engine over when you bring the pressure up quickly. More than 100psi probably wouldn't hurt a multi as I'm sure it builds way over 100 psi normally but it probably wouldn't make a leak any easier to find either.
The regulator is built into the tester. On an aircraft, you hold the prop at TDC to test leak down. In a truck, you would need a way to hold the crank at TDC.

Jeepsinker

When you shut it down, and it was steaming, did you take a flashlight and look down into the oil drain galleys to see where the steam was coming from? If so, and it was coming from far enough down that you couldn't see it then you are looking at a cracked water jacket which means a replacement engine.

skinnyR1

Vapor or steam definitely continued to roll out past the rockers. Not normal?
I dont know where it was coming from. Ill have to do it again and look. Replacement motor is not what I wanted to hear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks