• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Congrats to new FMTV Civi Owner

Heavysteven

Since seeing a couple of FMTV's at the NG base I will say this. I don't dislike the FMTV, I just don't like it when statments are made that it is a more realiable and capible truck.

Only solution is for me to buy one and compare.

Nonotagain

Since seeing a couple of FMTV's at the NG base I will say this. I don't dislike the FMTV, I just don't like it when statments are made that it is a more realiable and capible truck.

Only solution is for me to buy one and compare.
If you go into a purchase thinking that the average shade tree mechanic can work on this truck, this is not the vehicle for you.

Performing maintenance on an FMTV is no more difficult than working on a newer class 8 over the road truck tractor. You need the proper tools and this means spending money. You need access to a diesel engine electronic scanner and a good relationship with an Allison mechanic.

As for reliability, like the first generation electronic ignition, anti-lock brakes, or electronic fuel injection systems, there are some teething pains to be worked out. What you will find is that some body parts are going to be more worn than what you typically see on the M-35 or the 800 series trucks (light weight body panels and hinges take a beating).

While you can put off maintenance on an all-mechanical diesel engine or transmission, the electronics versions "Know better" and will shut down before major damage is done. Most of the components are off-the-shelf items, which makes finding spare parts easier, just expect to pay five times as much as you think that it should cost.

Routine maintenance costs are high compared to the all-mechanical trucks. Transmission oil and filter changes run $500 if using the Allison recommended fluid. And you really want to use the transmission fluid that Allison recommends as the transmission shifts a whole lot better.

If you want or need more horse power, a little re-programming and you can go from 295 to 375 hp in a few minutes. The ride of the new trucks is night and day better than the older trucks. Braking is also much better than the M-35 or the 800 series trucks.

In closing, if you go into the purchase of one these trucks thinking that you can do little to no maintenance, this is not the truck for you.

dk8019

It's a gremlin that is trembling of course. It's having withdraws. ;)

Just came to say I want an FMTV, I want one right now. Although I'm sure the day I get one, it will cost me an arm and a leg to keep it moving compared to my M814.

dustoff34

Well i know most of the ones that are going to be released are going on 14 to 15 years old. We fielded the first once at Campbell back in late 96 to early 97 and spent 2 weeks on getting them to fly under a Chinook. Not sure when they came out with the A1s. I know we had our problems with them on Hardball little own taking them to the field. sure as the wars die down ther will be more released. might even have the armor cabs on them along with the 900 series 5-tons. As for the uparmor Hmmwvs no chance if it cant be rebuilt its shreaded and sold to the Locals as scrap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks