• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering a M927 or M928 to live in...

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. No love for FMVs there. None at all. Small and light is their mantra.

Thats cool. To each his own. I can respect their ideas. They love the small military trailers - 416, m101A2, and sort of love the 1101/1102's there. (1101 is too wide and "heavy" :roll: )

71DeuceAK

Yeah, for me not much beats a M939 series 5 ton: Big, heavy, off-road beast that will go anywhere except maybe muskeg and do just about anything, and if taken care of will run forever. I truly hope to someday be a grumpy old guy still driving an M939 around when everyone else has self driving electric cars. Mine will actually still have a manually controlled go go pedal for crushing rice burners.

Mos68x

Yeah, for me not much beats a M939 series 5 ton: Big, heavy, off-road beast that will go anywhere except maybe muskeg and do just about anything, and if taken care of will run forever. I truly hope to someday be a grumpy old guy still driving an M939 around when everyone else has self driving electric cars. Mine will actually still have a manually controlled go go pedal for crushing rice burners.

Same here lol can't wait to scare the bejesus outta some people south of the border, or even north lol

71DeuceAK

Or within the borders! Can't wait to crush a few hybrids with my 5 ton. I'd also like to go off road and play in the mud, but I'd get another one to wheel, not live in. Suggestions for my first time taking it off-road, what to watch for? (Feel free to PM me if you prefer)

Mos68x

Or within the borders! Can't wait to crush a few hybrids with my 5 ton. I'd also like to go off road and play in the mud, but I'd get another one to wheel, not live in. Suggestions for my first time taking it off-road, what to watch for? (Feel free to PM me if you prefer)
That'll work too, I've been really itching to crush some liberal's Prius with my truck, preferably with them still in it lol

yeah be sure to learn your departure angles and center clearance so you don't hang yourself up, or tear something up in the center

red

Oh you don't wanna play in the mud with the heavier 5 ton trucks. I was sitting still when the truck sank (granted had the m923a2 on the hook, he was buried over the headlights in the lake). The CAT is stuck too.

IMG_20160705_024943616.jpgIMG_20160705_025004390.jpg

71DeuceAK

I think I'd go right before fluid change time anyway, so there's no
excuse for being lazy and not changing fluids. Same with tire changes and hybrids.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was on vacation when my buddy thought his truck could swim. It couldn't. It sat there for over a week because of rain, inability to get the wrecker to show up, or return calls, work, etc.

I came home and found my truck refused to go into low. Screw it. Yankee him out in high, his wouldn't start, and we forgot air hoses, so, his rear wheels were locked up. Think about that. High gear, pulling something in the muck with rear tires locked up.

The pulling ability of a 5 ton never ceases to amaze me.

IMG_9413.jpg

IMG_9436.jpg

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was on vacation when my buddy thought his truck could swim. It couldn't. It sat there for over a week because of rain, inability to get the wrecker to show up, or return calls, work, etc.

I came home and found my truck refused to go into low. Screw it. Yankee him out in high, his wouldn't start, and we forgot air hoses, so, his rear wheels were locked up. Think about that. High gear, pulling something in the muck with rear tires locked up.

The pulling ability of a 5 ton never ceases to amaze me.

View attachment 689709

View attachment 689710
Drain fuel tank, flush lines, replace fuel filter, replace gear oil in all 3 axles, etc...

That little stunt will probably cost him ~$500... heh.hope he learns.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's well past $500! Air filter likely is soaked, so I got new improved filter. Gonna go ahead and drain oil and tranny. It's time anyway. Drain first bit of axles into a jar. Any water we will replace. No water. Seals did their job. He May want to replace all fluids anyway. His call.

He wont learn. He just wants winches on both ends now.

Fair enough. We can do that. His winches are sitting on the floor of my garage. Just gotta mount them. Need to build mounts for 6 winches since we don't want to be winchless.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's well past $500! Air filter likely is soaked, so I got new improved filter. Gonna go ahead and drain oil and tranny. It's time anyway. Drain first bit of axles into a jar. Any water we will replace. No water. Seals did their job. He May want to replace all fluids anyway. His call.

He wont learn. He just wants winches on both ends now.

Fair enough. We can do that. His winches are sitting on the floor of my garage. Just gotta mount them. Need to build mounts for 6 winches since we don't want to be winchless.

Have him buy an anchor..... Works with smaller vehicles, probably not a 5 ton, unless very big anchor...... :p

71DeuceAK

Yeah, curious, what other maintenance will be required? If you don't mind, keep me posted on the costs (feel free to PM me if you'd rather not mention it out in the open)

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, no problem. I'll see what it runs him. He's got $400 in labor already. He's not too mechanically inclined, but most of all, he doesn't have the time, so he pays someone to help him out and fix these things.

I can separate out labor from materials. I'm sure someone here has a list and knows what it costs. But I'd say $500 was a good guess

71DeuceAK

Good to know. If I'm rich enough that isn't too horrible for once a year getting to go play. Otherwise, fear not, the truck would be meticulously maintained.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks