• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering a M927 or M928 to live in...

Mos68x

71DueceAK check out my build thread on my version of what you are trying to tackle. I understand that you really want to keep the bed on the truck and build a box of wood to live in. However I would strongly urge you to consider otherwise. You could modify the bed of the non-dropside and turn it into a drop side bed. But even if you did that there is no way you'll get enough strength in the wooden box to handle being craned out as would most likely have to happen. Even if you were to have access to a forklift, there is little chance that the structure will handle being lifted more than a few times before being severely damaged. I am going the route of the 20' ISO because of inherent strength in the ISO and I won't have to worry about drywall or anything else being damaged when I lift mine off and put it back on a few times. Cargo area is easily fixed by putting on another ISO, either box or flat, that is empty to accomplish what needs to be done. That is my plan, build an ISO for my house, another for my workshop, and then drop one or the other, or both, and move loads for money. I bought a 934 because I just couldn't pass up the price, and even though the chassis is a few inches shorter it's easily fixed. I'll be getting the extra chassis' for the extensions and my trailer in a couple weeks. If you want to do any kind of off-roading while your "house" is in the back, which will be incredibly hard to resist, you will likely have damage in it if you choose wood. Wood is good for stationary structures, but they aren't suited for the job in anything that moves. That is why travel trailers don't last very long before people have issues with them. Just remember that you can always sell the bed of the truck (927) and recoup some of the money for the ISO.

Just my opinion, but I'd still like to see what you do so please make sure you start a build thread so we can watch the progress and cheer you on regardless of the direction you take.

srodocker

First family camping trip in my m928 will be last weekend in july i'll let you guys know. Granted I've stayed in it multiple times by myself or with my cousin down at the sand dunes. Kids will be fine it will be the wife that will give the thumbs up! hahaha

Mos68x

Got a build thread for it? I'm curious to see what yours looks like, maybe you got ideas in yours that I haven't thought of yet.

srodocker

No build thread yet. Its just a ISO Bed with a cover on it. Its my only pickup I have so I use it for home depot runs quite frequently. One time a new gravel and dirt place opened up near my house and the wife and I went to check out their prices. They said we deliver for low fee of 20$, but I told them no i'll use my truck to come pick up a few yards of pea gravel. They told me we dont need the wear and tear on my truck so just let them deliever. As the wife gives me that glare of "oh jeez here we go" I told them we will be right back with my pickup for a couple of yards. Shouldve seen their faces when we pulled up and they shook their head and said good job you win.

Mos68x

Lol I bet!

So nothing is permanent in it yet? I'm assuming you just bring cots and whatnot? I was thinking you had something already built. I understand tryin to keep it dual purpose, I'm trying to do the same with mine. I'll probably build the trailer first on mine so that I can still use the truck and so I can get my woodworking tools out of the elements.

srodocker

Nothing permanent in this truck as it needs to stay a pickup truck for now. Love hauling people around and such in the back. I have a small m105 turned into a camper with a fold down bed. Havent used it in years but have that when its just me. In all likely hood i'll be buying a civi camping trailer to use when its the whole family camping.

71DeuceAK

What if I did aluminum frame? Stronger but lightweight?

I'm thinking my other option would be an M146 trailer, take off the 927 bed and put the M146 box on, ideas?

Another idea, somehow make it so the stock bows and cargo cover fit over the habitat so the truck looks stock. I have a line on a M927A0 but would like it to be a bone stock military M928A1 from the outside in terms of appearance when done. Any ideas on that?

red

Problem with the cargo cover is the height, can't stand up straight. Fine for short periods but to live in would suck. Could work if you set it up where you were always sitting while in the camper. The canvas/vinyl will get torn up.

Have to stretch the wheelbase and frame for the m146 secured to the chassis. Been done by another member here to a m915 series truck and works fine on pavement but not for offroad use. The m927/928 is already considered the longest wheelbase for any offroad use (most people say far too long as is), longer makes it a no go for anywhere except graded fire service roads. Might as well have a pickup with a large tow behind toy hauler at that point for offroad capabilities. With no wheelbase stretch the rear overhang at that point is at least 12ft, which will throw that aluminum m146 body into the rocks and trees during any turns. Reinforcing the m146 body to handle that kind of abuse will add a few thousand pounds, requiring the wheelbase to be extended.

To get an aluminum setup that is stronger than steel of the same thickness, well, lets just say it's expensive.

You have to decide how far offroad you want to go with the truck and whether the camper is built in or removable. A removable box will be heavy period, especially with a skid setup (not requiring a crane to remove it every time). To build it where it will survive repeated removal/install takes material and it aint lightweight. A box that is strong enough to survive the regular bumps/scrapes from trees and rocks offroad takes some weight as well and with this size vehicle offroad that will happen regularly. The truck is designed to handle the weight.

davidhdale

I have an M927A2 that has been modified to pull a military van trailer. I pulled the 20 foot bed and replaced it with a dropside and put a 5th wheel behind the bed to pull the van with. That allows me to still have a cargo truck but also be able to pull the mobile "Stabbin Cabin".

I have a 20 foot ISO bed that will haul a 20 foot shipping container if I decide to swap it onto the M927.

I have considered selling it but they are hard to find so if you want to make an offer feel free.

I'm a long way from Alaska.
Man thats cool would have never thought of that set up

71DeuceAK

Now I'm thinking of maybe building the structure on I beams for skids? Thoughts? It would raise the height but I could use that to insulate between that and the cold steel bed floor.

In the meantime as soon as I get the truck, I can't wait to camp in the bed during the recovery.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you have the Hi bow setup for the cargo cover then it will be just fine to stand up. I could stand up in the 927 bed i got from wrecker man. And im 6ft 2

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

71DeuceAK

Pardon my ignorance, but do I need a correspondingly high cargo cover to fit the high bow kit? Because that would definitely be the preferable option for my situation I think.

red

Now I'm thinking of maybe building the structure on I beams for skids? Thoughts? It would raise the height but I could use that to insulate between that and the cold steel bed floor.

In the meantime as soon as I get the truck, I can't wait to camp in the bed during the recovery.
I beam for the skids would work, just needs to be the right thickness.

Pic gives an idea of height when there is a skid platform underneath for a removable camper. And one way to remove/install a camper (a bed winch with a tail roller at the end of the bed).

IMG_20150408_135457676.jpgIMG_20150408_142308423.jpgIMG_20150408_145106681.jpg

71DeuceAK

I have another idea too thanks to someone on one of the M939
Facebook groups: Bolt up the tailgate solid, for 18" or so more of floor space. That still doesn't solve the lifting-the-box-out issue though...

With the tailgate like that I may also consider doing this on a M923A0 I have a line on which is closer to me, and also just so happens to be a local truck to the area where I spent my childhood, so it's kind of special to me in that regard. Any ideas from anyone who has done this on a 923 or 925?

71DeuceAK

I've also heard of the S280 on a 923 bed before too and have considered going that route, either with the 923 I also have a line on or in the 927, so I'd have some bec space left for cargo as well, or a "porch", depending on how you think of it I guess. Thoughts on making it not slide forward/backward though, so that every time I drive up or down a hill I don't have to worry about it moving? P.S, as Mos68x put it, yes, I am very tempted to go off road, even with the shelter in the bed. That's what first got me into wanting a Deuce and, later, a 5 ton/ their off road ability. Not a high horsepower mud slinger but still a go anywhere truck nevertheless.

71DeuceAK

OK, so pardon my ignorance on S280s but do they already have provisions for said tie downs? Could I use the outside bec tie downs or would I need to fabricate my own?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks