• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contemplating a Bobber! To do or not to do that is the question!

Section8

Well hope the pics show up.Went to look at that M135,which is what it turned out to be, today.The sheet metal looks great, aside from the covering some BC lichen and moss is places.The interior has a nice coating of bird droppings and rat scat. However all the gauges seem to be there.I didn't get a chance to climb in and see the milage. There is a pto shaft off the transfer case to the tank in the back. The truck used to be owned by the Kamloops (closest city to me) fire department according to what is written under the square patch of white paint on the door. I would assume for a brush fire truck.The old man (who is in the pics, along with my wife) is the fellow cleaning up the farm the truck is parked at for the owner who is dying from cancer. The old man has already gotten rid of 5 iltis that were on the property that I didn't see, to the scrap yard. Darn!!!He wants the truck gone as soon as possible since once the owner passes away the whole farm estate goes up for auction. He also has another guy that is interested in the truck for the tanker on the rear.The truck has sank up to the diffs in the ground and will be lots of fun to retreave.I told him if the truck is still around in the spring I want it but am also a realist and if the other guy takes it so be it.Now to try and start saving my pennies!!

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used G749 trucks

If they ever filled that tank and went off-roading the springs sure had a work out. It's over a thousand gallons and probably weighs a thousand pounds empty. Oh the stories this old truck could tell. It looks like it's 5' high 10' long around 1500 gallons, 15,000 lbs..wow.

Tough call with the compressor missing and that big ol' cable dangling beside the distributor. The suspension must be mashed potatoes.
You know the big list with the Hood, roof, steering wheel, MC, airpak, manifold?, trani?, rad, brake lines, air tanks, fuel tank, fuel pump, carb, distributor gauges, good rims, ........that stuff. Don't forget that front drive shaft.

I just saw the stereo, we need more pictures of that some day, priceless.

Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you.

Last edited:

Section8

Good eye M1010plowboy! I forgot to mention that the generator and aircompressor were missing from the truck. Yes it has a front drive shaft!! I asked if I could just buy parts off of it but the old man said its all or nothing.The rear springs were pretty much flat. Looks like the truck was well used in its life. All the tires were still holding air even the two spares! The one on the holder and the one leaning against the side of the truck.To me even if the only good things on the truck were the carcass, like the one I already own, it would be worth the price of a grand. To be able to recover the sheet metal, axles, gauges, air pak, and front drive proppeler!! I would get some of that money back selling the tanker for scrap or to another farmer or business. As for the kicken noise box mounted off the dash. That should be worth the grand for the truck all on its own!! LOL!!

Last edited:

Section8

Well after many days of soaking my master cylinders guts with WD-40 I finally got them to come out of the assembly.Everything looked dismale with the amount of brown chunky sludge that was coating everything.However once I started to clean everything with soap and water, I was pleasantly surprized.It looks as if all the rubbers were brand new! I cleaned the bore of the cylinder with a very fine round file to get rid of a minor build up of sludge that I am pretty sure accumulated on the inside from the time I pulled the master cylinder out of my truck, time span of a year.I then wire brushed the assembly and slapped on some rustoleum black paint.Reassembly will be next.

Attachments

Section8

I am sure I could find a use for the tank.
The old man won't tell me who else is interested in the truck so I could inquire about the half off deal! LoL!
The old man just kept telling me he will only sell the truck as a whole and not for parts.
Since the truck has sat so long as to sink in the ground up to the diffs I don't imagine it will dissapear to fast. I hope.
Told him I will try and get it in the spring if I can and he told me he would call me first if it becomes a panic to get it out of the estate.
Till then I am saving my pennies! I got 55 cents so far! Hehehe!
Reassembly of the master cylinder was a piece of cake! It is so nice tpo put things back together when they are all cleaned up.
Took the side mirrors off and they get a clean up and repaint next.

Section8

Well not much exciting to add.
Just finished cleaning up the mirror arms from the truck and giving them a nice thick coat of black rustoleum.
I think they look pretty slick. Mile better than previously with a fine dusting of rust and chipping paint.
Gonna put my new west coast mirrors with built in marker/ turn signals on the arms later. Then probably wait till spring to re install the assembly back on the truck.

Attachments

Section8

Contemplating a suburban build!

Ever have one of those holy **** moments?!
Well the wife and I got one last night! I just had a minor surgery to eliminate having kids anymore. Well looks as though the last time before the surgery we got lucky!
Yup pregnant!!
Sooooo....
Now that we are going to have FOUR kids running around the farm, I may need to haul them from time to time in the rig.
Once I get it running.
So I may have to look at a suburban style build instead of just an extended cab or crew cab build.
Gonna have to see if I can figure out how to photoshop what one would look like!!
Another quick update.
Westcoast mirrors are installed on the arms I just cleaned and painted.
They look awesome!!! I don't know if you all can tell in the pictures, if they show up, that they are about an inch wider than the old stock ones that were on it. I also didn't know when I bought these mirrors that along with built in marker signal lights it also has heated mirrors! Big bonus for us up her in the wild north.

Attachments

350TacoZilla

Congrats and LOL I have heard that same type of story I dont know how many times. Husband or wife go to get snipped only to find out they already have one on the way.

Ok so being that I'm the owner of a bobbed deuce, and a proud daddy to a beautiful 8 month old daughter, I feel like I should chime in here. My ADHD-enhanced creativity makes me picture your cab being grafted to an early or same vintage Chevy or GMC panel Delivery truck rear section. any size variances could be corrected by sectioning the add-on vertically and adding sheet metal accordingly. you could make it as gawd-awful long as you need for all the seating and cargo space to take the whole family on an Alaskan excursion an would look sickeningly awesome doing so! If done correctly, it could be the perfect SUV from ****. Keep us updated on your progress. I'd like to see how this one goes!

Ok so being that I'm the owner of a bobbed deuce, and a proud daddy to a beautiful 8 month old daughter, I feel like I should chime in here. My ADHD-enhanced creativity makes me picture your cab being grafted to an early or same vintage Chevy or GMC panel Delivery truck rear section. any size variances could be corrected by sectioning the add-on vertically and adding sheet metal accordingly. You could make it as gawd-awful long as you need for all the seating and cargo space to take the whole family on an Alaskan excursion and would look sickeningly awesome doing so! If done correctly, it could be the perfect SUV from hades (sp). Keep us updated on your progress. I'd like to see how this one goes!

Section8

That would be a wicked build. I am not sure I have the skills to be able to graft a curved body to a snubnose cab. Kind of think it would only work by cutting out the doors and front clip of the old chev panel. Then cut out the windshield of the panel to graft in the M135 windshields and then the doors and such. If you can kinda see my way of thinking. Mind you after all of that I might as well buy the WWII chevy panel rig.! LOL!
Back to the current build.
I removed the air pak to do a little clean up and refurbishing.
Once I opened up the air pak I was surprised to see large amount of what looked and felt like sand in the cylinders. The main pistons rubber seal didn't seem to bad, smooth and soft. The diaphram however looked and felt a bit dry.
I cleaned out all of the sandy material then put it all back together.
I wire brushed the whole works for some fresh rustoluem black paint.
I also noticed when I was removing the air pak from the frame that air lines and hyrdolic lines are either missing or have been cut/ mangaled by the previous owner or whom ever was going to scrape her, looking for every bit of copper.
Quite irritating since just about every bolt and nut comes loose from the truck with out much difficulty. Except the windshield screws! Lol.
To bad a guy can't just eliminate the air pak.
The air tanks look like they are in good shape as well. They will get a strip down and repaint as well.

cumminsbandit

To bad a guy can't just eliminate the air pak.
Well i have to say (right or wrong) I completely removed the air pack on my truck and redid all the lines around it and bled the system and it stops! Fairly easily too! I have never used/experienced properly working breaks on an m135 before but i'd say its good for 1954...? I towed the truck about 35mph down the road and could easily lockup the tires. Anybody have input on how wrong I probably am? haha

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well i have to say (right or wrong) I completely removed the air pack on my truck and redid all the lines around it and bled the system and it stops! Fairly easily too! I have never used/experienced properly working breaks on an m135 before but i'd say its good for 1954...? I towed the truck about 35mph down the road and could easily lockup the tires. Anybody have input on how wrong I probably am? haha
I'm trying to visualize the schematics and plumbing changes to make this work but you already did that so...... no sense re-engineering genius.

Pictures?

I'm not a mechanic so grabbin the popcorn for now and real interested to see the response from thy engineers and legal factions.

cumminsbandit

Keep in mind that my truck will not have any air on it due to the fact my truck was too far gone... (Air lines smashed/farmertized) ill try to get some pics sometime this weekend.

350TacoZilla

I cant remember where I had seen a m211 converted to hydro boost brakes off a chevy 1 ton, just like all the chevy diesel pickup in the 80's-90's had.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks