• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooling upgrade system.

911joeblow

Wait, are you now claiming that your device offers "improved drivability, added power, improved MPG, and reduced fan running times"? Wow, a real magic bullet. I can't wait to see the data that supports this claim!!
The impartial data is in this thread by those who have actually installed the kits and used them. Thanks.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just amazed at those who keep questioning this upgrade........

When do you anticipate a black option and will pricing be the same?

BTW, I sold parts for 2o plus years and there is no way that a tornado or fuel line magnet snake oil ( btw, they made me good money in the day :) ) can be compared to this. Clearly anything that improves flow is a real good thing. What can be the downside? none that I see.

911joeblow

When do you anticipate a black option and will pricing be the same?

BTW, I sold parts for 2o plus years and there is no way that a tornado or fuel line magnet snake oil ( btw, they made me good money in the day :) ) can be compared to this. Clearly anything that improves flow is a real good thing. What can be the downside? none that I see.
The full CUCV kits are being released this month. They are in all black minus a custom CNC aluminum piece that they need in order to fit the kit which will stay in natural aluminum to match the crossover and outlet flange. The Civilian kits are also out later this month and are in all black. The HMMWV kits are going to continue in blue for the time being. Eventually they too will go black but it will be a long time for that. We are not going to offer a choice on color with any of these kits, they will be one or the other as it is just to costly to maintain that kind of inventory for such a low production type kit.

Some SS members have modified their kits with vinyl wire protection and heat shrink tubing to get the all black out look. Another local customer went red and I have done a cover up in black locally too. It is not to hard to do just a few dollars in an electrical supply store and an hour or so of time. I have had requests for black, red, olive, tan etc... just can do it all so I had to pick a color and go. Sorry.

Sintorion

Absolutely this can be compared to the Tornado for reasons that are exactly as you state. People thought the Torando was improving flow. Sure it didn't hurt anything, but it didn't add any value. All that it did was drain your wallet and make people think something was happening that really wasn't. I have been asking for proof of his claims which Joe clearly stated he would provide over 6 months ago. I have seen any test results although I am sure changing the color must add 5hp and will cool the block by 40 degrees.

Now we have Joe stating that you get better fuel mileage? Somewhere Billy Mays is smiling.

Skrilex

Banned
Absolutely this can be compared to the Tornado for reasons that are exactly as you state. People thought the Torando was improving flow. Sure it didn't hurt anything, but it didn't add any value. All that it did was drain your wallet and make people think something was happening that really wasn't. I have been asking for proof of his claims which Joe clearly stated he would provide over 6 months ago. I have seen any test results although I am sure changing the color must add 5hp and will cool the block by 40 degrees.

Now we have Joe stating that you get better fuel mileage? Somewhere Billy Mays is smiling.
Well, since this seems to be bothering you quite a lot, why don’t you take advantage of his offer for a full refund, after testing it yourself?
I mean, he can test all day long but I doubt you would consider his results valid and why should you, he has a stake in producing positive data. We need a true skeptic to test it, and you’re it!

Last edited:

honda

View attachment 702287
Traveled the Ajo AZ desert this weekend ( 400+ miles) and collected pre-install data prior to installing coolant kit last night.
Kit went in well - no leaks. Tight install.

Will travel desert again this weekend and collect post install data.

I expect coolant temps to stay out of the 200+ range ( for this time of year- different story during July-August ) and tranny temps to trend to the lower side as well - we'll see.

stock 6.2 with Banks
th400
3.73 one tons
aluminum radiator
stock 5 blade fan
HMMV crossover as per pic

I collect relative Speed/RPM's/isspro gauge readings from EGT, Tranny temp, Coolant temp, ambient outside temperature and border patrol attitude.

I will report back. That is all.

So here's the report..............................IMG_0343.JPGIMG_0344.JPG
A few more points. I'm running an intercooler, a/c condensor, ( big time air flow nasties ) 1 ton axles and aluminum radiator. These, along with the 3.73 yukons and additional gear weight added to this truck can have positive or negative effects upon engine heat. Bottom line for me is I saw greater heat last weekend without this new fangled coolant device than I saw this week with the device.

I drive in the desert. Anything that reduces engine heat is a keeper. I will be keeping the device on the truck. I don't care if it's blue, yellow, black, desert tan, purple, red or a combination of all colors as long as the truck makes it home, on its own, and in one piece, along with me.

Y'all can decide for yourselves. It's your equipment.

BTW,,,some of my contractor buds have sand box HMMV's with a similar device installed.

Cheers

Action

View attachment 702287
Traveled the Ajo AZ desert this weekend ( 400+ miles) and collected pre-install data prior to installing coolant kit last night.
Kit went in well - no leaks. Tight install.

Will travel desert again this weekend and collect post install data.

I expect coolant temps to stay out of the 200+ range ( for this time of year- different story during July-August ) and tranny temps to trend to the lower side as well - we'll see.

stock 6.2 with Banks
th400
3.73 one tons
aluminum radiator
stock 5 blade fan
HMMV crossover as per pic

I collect relative Speed/RPM's/isspro gauge readings from EGT, Tranny temp, Coolant temp, ambient outside temperature and border patrol attitude.

I will report back. That is all.

So here's the report..............................View attachment 702791View attachment 702792
A few more points. I'm running an intercooler, a/c condensor, ( big time air flow nasties ) 1 ton axles and aluminum radiator. These, along with the 3.73 yukons and additional gear weight added to this truck can have positive or negative effects upon engine heat. Bottom line for me is I saw greater heat last weekend without this new fangled coolant device than I saw this week with the device.

I drive in the desert. Anything that reduces engine heat is a keeper. I will be keeping the device on the truck. I don't care if it's blue, yellow, black, desert tan, purple, red or a combination of all colors as long as the truck makes it home, on its own, and in one piece, along with me.

Y'all can decide for yourselves. It's your equipment.

BTW,,,some of my contractor buds have sand box HMMV's with a similar device installed.

Cheers
So the report is in with only one set of data? No outside temp from preinstalled run? This isn't even a Humvee.

911joeblow

A little update. Here are pics of the next gen kits available for the CUCV trucks and civilian 6.2/6.5/6.5Ts and also HMMWVs in the coming days as the last of the BLUE kits is sold out (we will continue to support the potential needs of BLUE kit owners for spares). The big changes are we are now building stainless steel braided hoses with a black protective layer on the hose and on the hose ends so they still wont rub into your soft aluminum underhood parts and they are slightly more compact than the previous blue hoses used on all earlier kits. We have also changed the primary fitting block assembly to a more compact set-up which allows for more mounting options to cover more custom applications. Lastly we are now using an electrostatic thermoset polymer process to protect the rear block plates which is thicker and more durable. Hope you guys like the new look!

IMG_20171102_085237.jpgIMG_20171102_085255.jpgIMG_20171102_085309.jpgIMG_20171102_085320.jpg

Last edited:

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed my kit. I spent more time getting the rusty engine cooling system cleaned out (and it is still a little rusty*) than I did installing the kit. I have not been very systematic w/rt checking performance before and after because I don't have time. Here's what I did notice:

1. The new lines heated up indicating water was indeed being distributed to the rear cylinders.
2. I am continually relieved each time I hear the fan clutch engage. That 220 line on the indicator always serves to increase my paranoia...
3. I'm always afraid of over-tightening these AN fittings. I had one leak but tightening solved it.
4. I now would like to find that black webbing to avoid chafing. I'm not color sensitive. Any sources?

* I flushed with normal water four times before going to Autozone and buying two containers of flush/cleaner. I'm going to run it for a few days and then revert to distilled water/coolant mix **.

**Prestone has a $5 rebate on concentrate that ends on 25 Dec 2017. Maybe only at Autozones. Not sure.

911joeblow

Here is the latest update. Solid billet 5 axis CNC machined rear 6061 aluminum plates! This will allow us to supply our new client (the largest Humvee operator in the world) with the kits in volume! Just a quick pic from the freshly machined parts. They will be hard anodized as well.

IMG-20171201-WA0002.jpg

Sintorion

Here is the latest update. Solid billet 5 axis CNC machined rear 6061 aluminum plates! This will allow us to supply our new client (the largest Humvee operator in the world) with the kits in volume! Just a quick pic from the freshly machined parts. They will be hard anodized as well.

View attachment 711222
Are we to believe that the DOD is purchasing a product that has absolutely no verifiable data as to it's claimed functionality? This just gets better and better. :goodjob:

Sintorion

Good Lord....enough already. You doubt it, we got it. Let it go. PLEASE.
Why should this guy get a free pass? Maybe you should go back and read #15 and #16. A legitimate vendor would post real data to support their product instead of nonsense making claims that he is selling his product to the army as legitimacy of his kit and why it is better than any other. Cracks me up that people get their feelings so hurt by someone questioning, but you get all giddy because he offers a product in a different color.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why should this guy get a free pass? Maybe you should go back and read #15 and #16. A legitimate vendor would post real data to support their product instead of nonsense making claims that he is selling his product to the army as legitimacy of his kit and why it is better than any other. Cracks me up that people get their feelings so hurt by someone questioning, but you get all giddy because he offers a product in a different color.
I could give two craps what color it is, and I saw no "giddiness " in my comment. Just enjoy reading posts about things, and you sir (ma'am?) have become quite the bore. We ALL get that you are skeptical bordering on ridiculous. You have done nothing but make a fool of yourself. Of course this is strictly my opinion.

Last edited:

Sintorion

I could give two craps what color it is, and I saw no "giddiness " in my comment. Just enjoy reading posts about things, and you sir (ma'am?) have become quite the bore. We ALL get that you are skeptical bordering on ridiculous. You have done nothing but make a fool of yourself. Of course this is strictly my opinion.
How is that? By trying to hold someone accountable for his claims? Not sure why that bores you, but the guy made claims and won't support them. Funny you will cry about me, but won't say a word to someone who is selling a product that he can't support a single claim and at best hopes that someone brave enough to take a chance on this product to do the work for him. That is crap. Then he takes it further to say that he is selling it to the Army? I guess I am to assume that you don't want to know the truth? Just blindly sit back and watch people throw their money away? This isn't a question about being skeptical, it is simply holding someone accountable for making claims and not following through with it. If you have a problem, maybe you should ask Joe why he made those claims and hasn't produced a single bit of data to support them?

911joeblow

Here is the finished product of our new billet plates. This new design is machined on a HAAS 5 axis CNC machine out of solid 6061 billet and then anodized for long life and good looks. Where the original plates were a one by one machining process, these are made in bulk.

In other news we are finishing up some other pending projects including a 100% bolt-on dual 24V electric fan kit which has a smart fan controller. By smart I mean it is a PWM or pulse width modulated controller. For those not familiar with PWM, it allows fans to be run at variable speeds and also soft start/stop them so you dont have sudden spikes to your power and the fans last much longer. We can also do cool things like reverse the fans to help blow out any debris that got into the coolant stack at shut down etc... This set-up is all 24V, so no 12V fans or PWM stuff band-aided to work on our trucks.

We are also scheduled for some 4 wheel dyno time next month with a 6.5 GEP powered 3 speed M998. We will be playing with some new tech but also plan on some data acquisition with the help of an independent dyno shop for the cooling upgrade kits, and the before mentioned electric fan kit too.

Lastly we are now selling the following cooling upgrade kits:
HUMVEE 6.2/6.5
HUMVEE 6.5T
CUCV 6.2/6.5
CUCV Hybrid (HUMVEE crossover) 6.2/6.5
Civilian GM 6.2
Civilian GM 6.5/6.5T (Side mount turbo)
Civilian GM 6.5T (Center mounted turbo)

P.S.: Que Sintorion.... ;)

IMG_20171209_140454 (1).jpgIMG_20171209_140655.jpg

papakb

How is that? By trying to hold someone accountable for his claims?
Sintorion, it's time to move your skepticism to greener pastures. There's a whole would of Republicans and Democrats who need your attention far more than we do here on the SS Forums. The whole world of HMMWVs is one of speculation on buying something with an unknown history in most cases and then trying to figure out all the idiosyncrasies of the darn things. And your worried because someone wants to sell a product that there's already reasonable supportive data in existence on on numerous other diesel websites without specific data on his product? Do you really give a crap about what I spend my dollars on?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks