• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II EUC, Got it today

Somemedic

Oooooo... daddy sees his new truck... This CUCV II isnt in a Tahoe or Blazer form is it? Not that momma would dig on driving a camo suburban but IF i could find a blazer to replace the one I got Id have to get one.

Stonepicker1

So they are running the truck a full 24v and converting it down to 12? or vice versa?
Looks like the power converter is for communication equipment.

The truck takes two 12 volt batteries, The one on the left is marked 12 volt and the one on the right(missing in photo)is marked 24 volt.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

Neat.

The CV joint protectors just look like...burlap...or maybe something else that's dirty.:?:

I know there was a Tahoe/Suburban CUCV-II prototype...seen pictures but hey, I'd only ever seen one of these trucks before. Might be some rolling around somewhere. Anyone have any hard numbers on these? I'd always heard the government never bought the CUCV-II program from GM...guess they obviously bought a few.

AJMBLAZER

GM's website had a Suburban version back in the 90's when they were marketing it. I was in lust over it back then. Probably never made it for the same reasons they never made the Suburban a CUCV back in the 80's.

mangus580

GM's website had a Suburban version back in the 90's when they were marketing it. I was in lust over it back then. Probably never made it for the same reasons they never made the Suburban a CUCV back in the 80's.
cant get my wife to let me convert her Burb.... :-(

jimm1009

CUCV-II, got it today

I just "copied" and "pasted" this (below) from this thread.
Degressing from topic but it acutally worked.

nopics

A CUCV II is just that. It was a limited series of GM product that the company wanted to have Uncle Sam purchase from them to replace or supplement the HMMWV or M998 based trucks.
I believe that it was based on a 1 ton 1996, Chevy "work truck" but others will have to chime in here that have more historically correct information.
I did not learn anything much about them since there were very few actually produced. They had a partial 24 volt system and some other suttle military-only devices installed. The demo model that I saw in person actually had a AM radio and Air Conditioning because all base trucks had that, or so I was told. Again, this may be "factual" as given to me by a GM marketing person (salesman). They are ALWAYS "factual".
Jim
'84 M1009
'72 M35A2C
'51 M38

dam88

Yes Veronica - there is a Santa Clause

That is one sweet ride and all my CUCVs are now throughly jealous.

And yes the CUCV-II did come in a Tahoe/Blazer version - a nice Forestry Service version took me out to my M1031 (latest member of the family)! I tried to trade my 1031 for the Tahoe on the spot - no deal:cry:.

Great win! Let me know if it gets in the way - I'll help you out and drag it away.:grin:

David

Stonepicker1

That is one sweet ride and all my CUCVs are now throughly jealous.

And yes the CUCV-II did come in a Tahoe/Blazer version - a nice Forestry Service version took me out to my M1031 (latest member of the family)! I tried to trade my 1031 for the Tahoe on the spot - no deal:cry:.

Great win! Let me know if it gets in the way - I'll help you out and drag it away.:grin:

David
Thanks, The wife likes the look of this one too. She's the one who told me to bid higher when I was going to stop bidding. I guest she can't complain if I have to put a lot of money into it to .;-)

Here is more pictures of what was in the glove box.:-D:-D:-D

Attachments

mangus580

Stonepicker, You might try to hook up the existing pump... and see if it will start. I would say that its 85% chance its just the PMD on the side of it. Also how many miles does it have on it? What year?

GM covered those pumps for 11 years, 120k miles... It might still be under warranty!

Stonepicker1

Stonepicker, You might try to hook up the existing pump... and see if it will start. I would say that its 85% chance its just the PMD on the side of it. Also how many miles does it have on it? What year?

GM covered those pumps for 11 years, 120k miles... It might still be under warranty!
Your probably right that the pump will work, It is missing the PMD and the switch on top of the pump.

Its a 1999 with only 19,000 miles.

If its covered by warranty do you just take the pump to the GM dealer?

mangus580

Your probably right that the pump will work, It is missing the PMD and the switch on top of the pump.

Its a 1999 with only 19,000 miles.

If its covered by warranty do you just take the pump to the GM dealer?
Depends on the dealer... Usually, they are required to install it. My suggestion... would be to get it back together and complete... and tow it in ;-)

and AJM is right, buy a PMD relocation. You might even be able to talk the dealer into installing it for you. Check out www.dieselplace.com for tons of 6.5 info. you will be able to find tons of ideas/answers on the pump and pmd

Good Luck... keep me posted... if you want more details, PM me or Kenny (he has been through this too) and we can probably help.

Stonepicker1

Depends on the dealer... Usually, they are required to install it. My suggestion... would be to get it back together and complete... and tow it in ;-)

and AJM is right, buy a PMD relocation. You might even be able to talk the dealer into installing it for you. Check out www.dieselplace.com for tons of 6.5 info. you will be able to find tons of ideas/answers on the pump and pmd

Good Luck... keep me posted... if you want more details, PM me or Kenny (he has been through this too) and we can probably help.
Thanks for the info. let me see what I can come up with.

More pictures of how I off loaded the truck( I must be getting old, cause that tow-bar is getting heavy )

Attachments

Stonepicker1

After looking under the truck, guest what I fine. BIG PROBLEMS.:cry:

First the starter is missing and they cut the wires. (I have another starter and can fix the wires)

Next it looks like they pulled the engine and removed the oil pan, or tried. (motor mount bolts missing/some oil pan bolts missing/one flywheel bolt loose)

And they cracked the bell housing on the trany. (shouldn't of done any harm to the transmission)

I haven't tried to turn the engine over by hand yet.

Anyone know of a good 6.5 trubo to drop in just in case. or someone that rebuild them.:?::?::?:
This is what you get when you don't look before you buy.:oops:

Attachments