• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II Northern Europe Reconditioning

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I am guessing that the inspection is finished?

You have done a fantastic job on reconditioning the truck. [thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

Nico

inpection finished!
all problems solved,
i got an ok from the "tüv" inspector this monday,
so i drove directly to the reg. center where i receved my new licenceplates.
i am pretty happy to hear that from the pre-owner [thumbzup] warthog.
i can`t wait for the next bigger ride on the weekend.
thank you again for driving the truck down to the port and the geat communication.

...almost done
1. i have to spray 4x tp45 stancils on the fenders
2. a cordura ballistic tactical seat cover in tan will be installed soon.
3. maybe i install a antenna set to the body...but i have to drill some hole`s in the truck :shock:
4. and a hard to find cargo cover in desert tan is needed. <--- if anyone knows a souce please pm me.
5. maybe i spay a ^ chevron on the door`s

thank`s tony & two.five35m.

Last edited:

Nico

Shock :shock::shock::shock: I almost crashed into a schoolbus today. The abs system was working at 5mph and i couldnt stop the truck. I have to pull the abs fuse tomorrow. Man, that was **** close. Must be the sensors.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
remove the front sensors. Clean the mating points of the sensor and wheel bearing. Rust pushes the sensor away from the reluctor ring.
If you pull the ABS fuse you will lose a lot more then ABS. GM ran lots of stuff thru the ABS fuse to prevent people from removing the fuse.
IF YOU MUST DEACTIVATE THE ABS REMOVE THE POWER WIRE TO THE PUMP.

Nico

i am still not familiar with the newer 1986+ gm technic but this seems not ok for me from the beginning...
i guess they installed the wrong cv joint!?
this spline ring is for the abs sensor but it should be inside of the hub.
no wonder the abs isn`t working.
any idea for the correct part#? i got the following part installed CARDONE 661052
...i still got the orig. part somewhere in the metal recyceling box.
i am going to check that now.

IMG_4679.jpg

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know the year that they changed the ABS system, but on your truck the ABS sensor is inside the wheel hub itself. The teeth and sensor are a sealed unit.

The CV joint that they installed will work with the older style or your newer style system.

hub.jpg

Nico

ok, thank you for the information warthog.
so it may be the rust / dirt problem westech was talking about. i checked some repair u-tube videos to get an idea what to do.
i put the abs fuse back in. i tryed to pull the plugs from the pump but there where 3 connections. i do not know if i should disconnect all.
driving arround with this problem is no option with this failure.
too much work, the cold weather and the early dusk keept me from reparing it by myself. i guess i am going to see a service station.

Nico

I took a little trip and finaly got to know how a "death wobble" feels like...
country road, about 55 MPH, it started slowly and get worse.
the breaking was terrible, like the tires were blown up.
the truck did this twice and fortunatly made it save home.
shoot! i have to check the tires and whole front suspension.

IMG_3784.jpg

Nico

hmmm....starting issues again.
i need to preheat 3 times before the truck starts. no problem when warm.
i guess a set of ac delco 60g may help.
i also got some electrial problems but that from the beginning.
the complete interieur light is flickering, the horn sometimes doesn`t work and the oil pressure indicator is jerking around, the light switch has got an effect on it.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ewwww, electrical "gremlins". They are my "anthem". Mechanical, OK.....electrical, slow, methodical, point A to point B for me,.................... Good luck. Check fuse block? Good ground there? Test glow plugs to see it they are operational?

Nico

the electric problem was growing bigger.
no start after battery charge over night,
so i checked and cleaned gounds and the fuse box.
i did read the cucv ii starting issue threads again,
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116374-CUCV-II-won-t-start
stonepicker said he had a problem with the terminal battery cable bolts twice.
i did claean and installed them again, everything works fine now. [thumbzup]
(exept the horn and oil pressure guage pointer.)
new timken front bearings with abs sensors will be installed tomorrow.
all tires got to be ballanced then too.

cucvrus

The gauge clusters were a know issue on all of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierras of that vintage. I had 2 Chevrolet trucks that I had to have the clusters replaced in. Both were on a warranty recall status. I know they have rebuilt clusters for the truck that you have. I seen them advertised in the past. That is a nice truck.

Assel

Took a picture of a "Fotographier & Film Verbot" (NO photos NO videos!) sign, what a rebell :D

And Ahab, better not touch the firewood, doing so is a really bad thing in germany ! ..people get really angry about that.. In some cases there are some lugs split, filled with blackpowder and then glued together again....imagine one of these blowing up in the cockle stove ...you better not take firewood which is not yours :D

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks