• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II, South Florida Rebuild

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think I'd chuck that valve up in a drill and see it its got a little tweak or bend. The seat wear looks odd to me.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not seeing any major issues that would cause the problem. I wonder if it was just a bad head to begin with?

Wonder if some lapping compound would show something.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try this. Use a marker and color in the seat surface of the valve and slide it back in and spin it like you were lapping it in then take a look at the wear marks in the marker stuff. If the valve isn't bent or the surface warped or if the seat checks out OK perhaps it's a weak spring.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a seat issue. Definitely a low spot. Is your other head a GEP head? If not maybe see what it would cost to have your current head reworked.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have an extra valve to do the same test with? Now I curious if the valve or seat is bad.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

I just put the valve in my drill and the valve looks to have a slight wobble to it.

Kenny, I have a GEP engine(had three glow plugs with broken off tips) that I could use for parts.

i'll pull another valve from the same head and see what happen's...after dinner....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking aloud here. Perhaps the the valve bent a bit and tweaked the seat. I would think that if the valve only was bent, the low part of the valve would wear off the marker all the way around as it was twisted in the seat. I realize that it's out of warranty but it might be something GEP would like to see or know something about. Thankfully all the issues appear to be limited to the head only and not the short block.

Stonepicker1

I pulled one of the heads off the spare GEP motor I had. Going to check the valve seats on this head to see if it will work. If it's good I'll pull the other head and check it also. I bought new set of Mahler piston rings to put in the engine also.
Going to replace the front and rear seals, injectors, glow plugs now that the engine is pulled out of the truck.

I also have a new GM-8 turbo being shipped. Should be here next week.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

I took the heads off the spare GEP engine and removed all the valves. Cleaned everything up and checked the valve seats. Lapped the valves and seats with some valve grinding compound. All seats looked good.
I just installed both heads and getting ready to put the valve covers back on. I hate trying to get the old RTV gasket off.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

I started putting everything back together today. I had a new GM8 turbo on the self, so I went ahead and installed it. Just have to move the turbo-master over to the new turbo. I hope to be dropping the engine back in this coming weekend.

forget...going to replace the rear main and front main seals also while it's out.

Attachments

jw4x4

That sure is gonna be nice. Hoping I can get my hands on something that cool someday. Must be great to have the spare (NEW) parts in house.

Stonepicker1

I messed up when I was seating the rear main seal and the top half went to far in. No way to fix it, so I pulled the seal out. Had to order another one( none of the parts stores had one in stock. Just installed the new seal now for the front seal.

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have that same seal puller from autozone, I a 6.5 on the stand right now gotta do the same thing, how were you putting the seal in?

Stonepicker1

I put some GAA grease on the inside of the seal were it meets the crank, then put permatex #2 sealant on the outer rim of the seal. Used the mallet to start to seat the seal. I then used the old seal to finish seating the seal. You don't want to seat it to far in.
They make a tool to do this, just didn't have one on hand.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks