• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Snow Plow Trucks and Spreaders

cucvrus

He called me from the electrical shop. It was a connection in the ignition switch. He said it was hot and melted. he cut it out and replaced in with a soldered connection. I just need these trucks to keep going. I am not doing restoration. I need it fixed right but not perfect. It comes from 30+ years of use and abuse and must have been making a bad connection. Resistance makes heat and heat makes plastic melt causing it to just get loose over time. Call it road ready again. Sourced the VDO gauge from Leidy Electric. https://vdo-webshop.nl/en/voltmeters/972-vdo-cockpit-international-voltmeter-18-32v-52mm-24v.html This is the same gauge I always use on CUCV's. It does have a 24 volt bulb in it. I switch bulb for a 168 and use the OEM voltmeter harness. Plug and play. Thank you for the help. Have a Great Day. Got to get salt spreading. I can hear the truck rusting.

cucvrus

Am I glad I took it to the shop. After plowing and salting I looked it over. I was busy and dropped it off at Leidy Repair. He fixed it and called me. The bill was $50.03. WOW. Saved me a lot of frustration. I couldn't even begin to know where to look. Money is a great tool. Drove it back and it worked perfect. Have a great Day. Stay warm and safe.

cucvrus

Z3K_otfo5oyC V Joint adapter.JPGJust a friendly reminder to check and grease that front driveshaft. Pay special attention to the CV joint. About once a year I remove the driveshafts from the CUCV plow truck manually and grease all the U joints if they have zerks. But most importantly the CV joint. They make a special tool for greasing in. Don't ignore it. It can break off the transfer case and transmission flange if it goes dry and locks up. I said I removed the shaft manually. I have removed some forcefully plowing and violently by failure to adhere to greasing the CV joint as required. That little attachment I pictured is the tool you need for your grease gun. No spray or magic grease will replace the injected lube that CV joint requires. I had the shaft off a few years back and a guy came in the shop and told me to just spray it really good with PB Blaster. He left still convinced I was wasting my time. NOT my truck same as always. Have a Great Day and stay safe and warm. We are currently having a winter event.http://www.landlinemag.com/Story.aspx?StoryID=73621#.XEPvoPZFyUk

Last edited:

cucvrus

58939796_2352155381690655_2349928533519761408_nThe Horror.jpgA Great CUCV snow warrior has been laid to rest. After 17 years of foul weather use and heavy duty yard work it has entered into the scrap steel reclamation/recycling era. All good things must come to an end. I was not allowed to do anything with it and had to scrap it as is.

86m1028

View attachment 763190A Great CUCV snow warrior has been laid to rest. After 17 years of foul weather use and heavy duty yard work it has entered into the scrap steel reclamation/recycling era. All good things must come to an end. I was not allowed to do anything with it and had to scrap it as is.
Wow, some good money in parts going to waste right there.

cucvrus

Wow, some good money in parts going to waste right there.
I scrapped 3 of them already. I try and tell them and it used to make me angry. Now I just follow orders no matter how ridiculous. I smashed about 200 A frame fiberglass ladders. Some were brand new. Cooperate does not want any A frame ladders in use anymore. We were given platform ladders. Everything must be destroyed. It is also in fairness I am being told. Have a Great Day. They build new trucks everyday. Come to speak of it I am on my way to the truck body plant right now.

cucvrus

The pictures you are about to see are very grafic in nature.

Intercepted. DSCF6182.jpgDSCF6183.jpgDSCF6184.jpgSaved from the shredder because of gear oil and transmission fluid leaking during processing. Shame. I spent countless hours in that truck. It was refused for scrap processing. Still has a load of good parts.

cucvrus

DSCF6215.jpgDSCF6216.jpgDSCF6217.jpgWOW. Talk about being haunted by a CUCV. I have a friend that is in the salvage business. I called him to see if he had any 8 ft bed that I could use as a pit to burn scrap material from a modular home I am razing on a property. I ask him to drop it off on the lot in the woods and I would get it back to him when I was completed. it always works well for me because I can burn and then clean out the ashes and clean up as I go. Well when I seen what he brought me I thought he was being a funny guy. I called him and he said no he just told his worker to get a scrap 8 ft bed and when he got in the truck to deliver it he knew I would think he was a wise guy. That CUCV will haunt me till the end. Big Red is dead. Still useful. This is the end of the line.

cucvrus

I was at the scrapper yesterday and you can guess what I seen next to the shredder. It was Big Red 1986 CUCV M1008. I bought it for scrap weight and hauled it home. It has an unscheduled appointment with the cutting torch tomorrow. Fun Fun. All I wanted was a few frame brackets and I was in search of a class 3 receiver mount for a K series truck. Big Red had it all minus a few unneeded things. Seek and ye shall find. To some people it is just scrap metal. I will post my progress. Graphic warnings. This M1008 is being destroyed and going to a final resting place. I am loading the unwanted parts directly back on the trailer and taking it back to the same place it came from. Minus the select cuts I need. Stay tuned.

cucvrus

Parental discretion is advised. Graphic content

DSCF6371.jpgDSCF6372.jpgDSCF6373.jpgAs I started on my project tonight. Just getting the good parts and destroying the rest as I was advised. I made a deal that the truck would never see the road again. I keep my word. It is decimated. DSCF6374.jpgDSCF6375.jpgSawzall and a torch can quickly make things disappear. That truck will never see the road again. Maybe after it is recycled. Have a Great Weekend. This truck will be gone before the weekend ends. It was a Great snow plow truck for 20 years.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Hard to believe that the axles were still there.:shock::razz:

Did you get to find the elusive oil line bracket you were in search of? If the bracket was there made it all worth it you Lucky Dog.

Great Find, now the parts will go into the repair market?

Lets see, do you have the pintle hook?

saddamsnightmare

July 27th, 2019

When you rebuild your front busted driveshaft, get a machine shop to cut the shaft and substitute either 1 or 1-1/2 ton U joints. I did that with an 1989 Ford F250 HD and never had any problems with either the shafts or the U joints.

cucvrus

Hard to believe that the axles were still there.:shock::razz:

Did you get to find the elusive oil line bracket you were in search of? If the bracket was there made it all worth it you Lucky Dog.

Great Find, now the parts will go into the repair market?

Lets see, do you have the pintle hook?
Pintle hook yes. Have several.
Front Axle broken in 3 places. See previous posts.
Oil cooler line bracket. I will just make my own going forward. I don't need any myself. DSCF6209.jpgDSCF6210.jpgDSCF6211.jpgDSCF6212.jpgAnd you mention axles I had 2 pairs setting here for a few years. NOT a very popular item. I must be missing something. I advertised them and sold them at a fair price. I now have a set with 4;10 gears and a complete 4;56 CUCV rear. 67397590_2825618697453585_3985740899207348224_nCUCV M1008 bed.jpgToday the bed was crushed and sent to the recycler. Who knows someday the 2019 Silverado may share the same fate. 33 years was a good run for the OLD CUCV M1008. After this weekend it will be history.

cucvrus

TS_failed-300x200failed.jpgIt was a long HOT weekend. I was out in the woods on a job clearing a path for a new modular home. As luck/fate would have it I was able to break a chain on the saw. Never broke a chain on a saw in my life. I hit a bullet or something in a large tree. And I also cut into a steel cable in the tree with the next chain. Not the same tree but none the less. That cost much time because I was miles from civilization and without all my tools to dress and sharpen chains. So I had to abandon my stripper project and focus on getting this clear cut completed. This is my last weekend to get things done till November. I have signed on to work at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire. I would like to tell you as a Knight or Pirate. But honestly as a cook. It is a fun filled 13 week assignment and I have done it many times in the past. I seen so many things I ain't ever seen before. I don't know what it is but I wanna see more. Take Care, Stay Cool, Be Safe. http://www.parenfaire.com/

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF6376.jpgI started working on my stripping project again today. i spent about 2 hours on it. The right fender, inner fender, right front axle 1/2 were my goal. DSCF6377.jpgDSCF6378.jpgAt one time I had a hard time finding these battery brace attachment brackets. Now I have a few and doubt I will ever need them. That's the way it goes. DSCF6379.jpgDSCF6380.jpgDSCF6381.jpgDSCF6382.jpgI was able to drag the right axle 1/2 out from under the truck. That was a dead center hit on the differential cover. The left inner axle shaft is bent. DSCF6383.jpgDSCF6384.jpgI can not even see a mark on the ring gear. While I was digging thru some of my parts I found this Isuzu spin on filter assembly. It is from a new truck that was wrecked. It has the palm primer on the top and a bleeder on the assembly to prime it. The water drains out the bottom petcock. I never changed any of my filters but had this to use on my Diesel log splitter. I settled for an inline Yanmar filter like it was supposed to have. I doubt the fuel would just flow thru this assembly with gravity and no pump pressure. Have a Great Day. Be Safe. I did start sanding the under side of my hood but became sweat blind and called it a day.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks