• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv tires and rims

SmokeyDod

I hav M1028 with the 37" hummer radials mounted on 16.5 x 9-3/4 wide (I think) the "wagon wheel " type rims. Have 4" lift that is with blocks in rear and the arced type springs on front and had to add the bolt on steering block so that would take care of the "bump" steer problem if I didn't (block is 2-1/2" thick) This of course made me have longer u=bolts on front axle. I still had to cut a little off the bottom corners of front fenders. Some of my tires have tubes in them just because the inner bead was messed up a little but other wise you wouldn't need them UNLESS you wanted to Air-Down tires for serious off-roading.
This would apply to the M1031 since its same with exception to the rear fender wells, Im not sure on that but I can ck if you need me to. I run on this truck a set of the NDT Denner tires 900x16 which I like. They are about same height as the 36" bias tires. If anyone knows where I could get another set of this tire, I sure would be interested.
If you try to use the "hummer" 16.5 rims you will have to put a set of 2" spacers on your axles because the way they are offset it hits the brake calipers. Hope this helps.

hobie237

The biggest problem is the severe backspacing of the HMMWV wheels, and of course the diameter of the tire in the square Chevy wheel wells.

86M10086.2L

Depending on how much you really want them on your truck theres a few thing you can do. The ideal (in my opinion) solution is a suspension lift and having the wheels recentered to the proper backspacing. You see quite a few guys doing that in the 4X4 community. Next step down is lift and dually hubs up front and wheel spacers or a 14bolt van rear axle. Next would be lift and 2 inch wheel spacers front and rear. You really only need the wheel spacers in front, but it would keep the track width more in line on both. Last would be no lift, just wheel spacers and alot of fender trimming. Cheap and easy, but I'm not a big fan of the buthcered fender look. Especially not one I'm trying to somewhat restore. Hopefully I'll get my hands on a set of cheap older style 8 bolt beadlocks, and I'll have them recentered. I talked to a few wheel shops and they can recenter the wheels for me for only alittle more than what it would cost for front a rear wheel spacers. The good ones anyway. Just food for thought.

colomil

I put some HMMWV wheels/tires on my M1010 with no lift. The fenders needed trimming all the way around. I had to use 2" wheel spacers all the way around as well. I didn't go with a lift because this thing is already top-heavy.

aboonski

Here's a link to a Craig's List ad offering a set of the 8-bolt H1 rims that you are looking for. If the link does not work simply go into the Florida area of Craig's List and then into Orlando and use the word "military" to find the ad; the individual only wants $200.00 for the rims but I am sure shipping would cost quite a bit from Florida to New York. I already have a set of five 12-holt H1 rims otherwise I would jump on these right away! You might find another SS member that would ferry them to New York for you to save shipping charges.

Al Broadbent

M1075

I did this a few years back and posted pics and other relevant info. I expect a search would turn up some good results. If you can't fint it, let me know and I will look.

86M10086.2L

I appreciate the link. I talked to a guy a while back who has a whole bunch of them and at the time, only wanted $25 a piece for them. But he's in Texas. It would be nice if I could hook up with a truck comming from there. I'll have to see if anyone from Texas is going to Haspin or Rausch Creek.

100dollarman

This is something I have been working on----

I have 12 bolt H1 wheels that need nuts and o-rings for $50 ea. And 95% 37" tires for $100. We've been using the 2" spacers, but I am working on getting some wheels re-centered.
I will post up an ad when I get some done and get all the pricing figured out.

H1 wheels look tough on CUCVs!!!

Here is a Jeep we did a little while back on 8 bolts-

When you use spacers, you still have the H1 wheel to look at. When you re-center- you do lose some of that look, but it works good and still looks good, too.

Attachments

aboonski

When I bought my 12-bolt H1 rims and tires I paid $350.00 for five of them; only two had run flats inside. One of the other tires had some kind of thick rubber spacer that probably kept the bead on the rim (guessing). They came with the Penta nuts so I had to remove them and buy the proper hex-nuts (over $1.00 each plus the rental of the Penta socket). I also bought the little inflator fittings as well since the set I got had none. Everything is still sitting inside the garage right now and I still need two more run flats or those thick rubber spacers before I even think about installing them on my truck! Also need five new O-rings that go inbetween the parts of the rim so doing all this will be quite an expense after I am through. After getting stuck in some mud out in Holopaw Florida (Suburban Estates) I know the H1 rims and tires will give me a much better chance of making it through the wetlands next time I go out there. H1 rims look so neat on a CUCV too!

AJMBLAZER

It's rare for any tire to measure out at the stated height. I had the 36x12.5-16.5 bias plies on my 1008 when I first got it and the two in the rear were about 34.5" tall and the front slightly shorter under the weight of the engine.

When I put my "theoretically" 2" taller 38" tall 11.00R16's on I gained over 3" in tire height.

Check the www link through my profile and you can see some of the pictures of Big Ugly in it's original configuration as I got it.

tsmall07

does someone make spacer that will go from 6 lug to eight and space out 2"
Yes. Search ebay for spacers.

I talked to a mechanic when I picked up my deuce and he said that they used to just run 8 bolt hummer wheels on CUCVs and would just turn them around backwards. It reqired a little fender trimming, but worked well. It would look odd, but would work.

tsmall07

I still need two more run flats or those thick rubber spacers before I even think about installing them on my truck!

You can use PVC Pipe of the right diameter if you're not concerned with the run flats. The rubber "spacers" are run flats. there is a magnesium run flat as well as the rubber version.

AJMBLAZER

AllenEM, yes, there is but you're on the ragged edge of survivability with those 10 bolt axles and running 36" tires with 3.08 gears is bad juju!

ts, don't think you can run the HMMWV rims backwards. The lug nuts wouldn't seat...not to mention you'd have like 2" of backspacing and the tires mostly sticking outside of the fenders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks