• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

Today it was 50* and I took advantage of the fair weather. I vacuumed out the brake fluid from my M1102 trailer and cleaned the inside of the reservoir, DSCF8341.JPG the cap, the cap rubber, and the threads and top of the master cylinder. I refilled the master cylinder with fresh new DOT 5 purple fluid and want to flush out all the old fluid. DSCF8342.JPG I still had some daylight remaining, so I went and got my power chisel and scrapped the adhesive strips from the floor and gate. DSCF8344.JPG I removed most of the adhesive. I will use some acetone to cut thru the adhesive. I need the breakaway lever, the clip and the cable for the breakaway system. Anyone? I may just purchase another trailer chassis for parts. DSCF8343.JPG I am not sure what adhesive they use for the DRMO but it sticks. It is like skinning a buck to get that sticker off decently. Good Luck with all your projects. I have to work this weekend and not sure when I will get back to play again. I am sure the parts are available, but having extra parts is always a huge advantage. I am going to be selling these 37" HMMWV tires and wheels. I just want to get it titled, licensed, and inspected before I pull the trigger on that. I sold the 2 tires and wheels from my M1102 trailer chassis in 15 minutes. Take Care.

Attachments

Last edited:

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today it was 50* and I took advantage of the fair weather. I vacuumed out the brake fluid from my M1102 trailer and cleaned the inside of the reservoir, View attachment 858681 the cap, the cap rubber, and the threads and top of the master cylinder. I refilled the master cylinder with fresh new DOT 5 purple fluid and want to flush out all the old fluid. View attachment 858682 I still had some daylight remaining, so I went and got my power chisel and scrapped the adhesive strips from the floor and gate. View attachment 858684 I removed most of the adhesive. I will use some acetone to cut thru the adhesive. I need the breakaway lever, the clip and the cable for the breakaway system. Anyone? I may just purchase another trailer chassis for parts. View attachment 858683 I am not sure what adhesive they use for the DRMO but it sticks. It is like skinning a buck to get that sticker off decently. Good Luck with all your projects. I have to work this weekend and not sure when I will get back to play again. I am sure the parts are available, but having extra parts is always a huge advantage. I am going to be selling these 37" HMMWV tires and wheels. I just want to get it titled, licensed, and inspected before I pull the trigger on that. I sold the 2 tires and wheels from my M1102 trailer chassis in 15 minutes. Take Care.
That sawzall blade is a new one on me, never seen one like that. I will look into finding some of those. Glad you found your parts.

ssdvc

That sawzall blade is a new one on me, never seen one like that. I will look into finding some of those. Glad you found your parts.
I have one and I think i got mine at Home Depot, as it is just a simple scraper blade.

cucvrus

Today I had plans to work on my trailer outside while it was 45*. That did not happen. I had enough of the mud in my driveway. I started the rock crusher and crushed a couple tons of stone, block, and bricks. The battery was frozen in the battery box. DSCF8347.JPGOr should I say it was kept on ice. It started right up. This expensive hammer is not cutting very many big rocks. It melts the tips off the chisel and the spike. DSCF8346.JPG I guess I must try a rotary drill bit. I have some big rocks that need split to fit into the crusher. I crushed for 3 hours, and nobody wanted to play with me. When they hear that crusher start it is like they gone. DSCF8348.JPG DSCF8349.JPG DSCF8350.JPG Spreading it out is disappointing. You have this huge pile, and it covers very little area. That is fine I have tomorrow and plenty of material to crush. After over 3 hours it burned $1.42 in off road diesel. Dusty job. The Kubota makes it easy. DSCF8351.JPG The M1102 and the M1009 are waiting for my attention. I am working up to it. Weather plays a huge factor, and this weather won't last long. It is Winter. It made a small dent in the mud issue. But every little bit helps. More Later.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rock crusher is cool. Do you use it for personal only, or for a business too? The final size material looks perfect for driving over on a muddy road. That new cordless chipping hammer will come in handy for lots of uses. I take it you've gathered up plenty of material to crush. Delivered material is expensive. Good job.

cucvrus

I am currently having title issues with my M1102 trailer. It seems Iron Planet sold the trailer, and the original buyer never transferred the SF97 into a title and the trailer has exchanged hands several times since that. I am working on that. I also bought a Bulldog trailer jack on Facebook market for $10. and used the crank and tin cover to repair my military jack. My jack worked but I didn't like the cribbage damage to the tin cover and the handle was bent worse than I could live with. The person that had the jack advertised it for $15. and I contacted them a week ago. They said just give me $10. since I had to wait. No problem. These are not exactly the same jacks but the parts I needed were 100% correct. DSCF8352.JPG I removed all the good parts and now I have the extra gear set and that is about all I can use from the donor jack. DSCF8353.JPG This is how badly damaged the original jack was. DSCF8354.JPG The same original jack with donor parts graphed onto the assembly. DSCF8355.JPG DSCF8356.JPG Looks good to me. I will paint it and it will be good as new. Actually, better since I rebuilt it top to bottom. It was never greased and maintained since new. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

The secret of the engine of a CUCV and no one was able to fix it, so they hired a mechanical engineer with more than 35 years of experience.
He carefully inspected the engine from top to bottom. Having seen everything, the engineer lowered the bag and pulled out a small hammer.
Gently hit the strategic points. Soon, the engine was working again. Engine repaired!
After 7 days, the engineer stated that the cost of repairing the CUCV was $10,000 to the contractor.
What did the owner say?
''You didn't do almost anything' 'Give us a detailed account.'
The answer is simple:
Hit with a hammer: 2 US dollars
Know where to hit and how much: $9.998
The importance of appreciating knowledge and experience itself...because they are the results of fighting, trials, and even tears.
If I do a job in 30 minutes, it's because I've spent 20 years learning how to do it in 30 minutes. You owe me years, not minutes.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The secret of the engine of a CUCV and no one was able to fix it, so they hired a mechanical engineer with more than 35 years of experience.
He carefully inspected the engine from top to bottom. Having seen everything, the engineer lowered the bag and pulled out a small hammer.
Gently hit the strategic points. Soon, the engine was working again. Engine repaired!
After 7 days, the engineer stated that the cost of repairing the CUCV was $10,000 to the contractor.
What did the owner say?
''You didn't do almost anything' 'Give us a detailed account.'
The answer is simple:
Hit with a hammer: 2 US dollars
Know where to hit and how much: $9.998
The importance of appreciating knowledge and experience itself...because they are the results of fighting, trials, and even tears.
If I do a job in 30 minutes, it's because I've spent 20 years learning how to do it in 30 minutes. You owe me years, not minutes.
There needs to be some other "like" to apply to things like what you said cucvrus .
A simple thumbs up saying I agree just doesn't give that story justice...

There are definitely things in this old world that require education through time and experience.
Knowing where to hit and how hard is the key to a lot of things :cool:

cucvrus

Thursday, I received a call from a friend that sold one of his CUCV M1009's. The buyer showed up with a tow dolly and could not fit the wheels on the dolly. He asked if I would be interested in tow barring the CUCV to Virginia for the buyer. He would pay me. I agreed and this morning at 0600 I was on my way. I left at 0600 and was back home by 1230. Easy trip. I think drivers are unaware that the right lane is for travelling in and the left lane is for passing. I passed more cars and 18 wheelers on the right then I passed on the left. they just ride that lane forever. I tried to set an example by passing and signaling back and going to the right lane after each pass. I don't think they caught on. The I 495 is a living, driving nightmare. I like being small town smart. This M1009 was heavy. I think the HMMWV tires made the rolling resistance twice as much as a stock M1009. The tires and wheels weigh about 175 lbs each. Why? I will never understand. This M1009 had 3/4-ton axles. Still a 10-bolt front and a semi float rear. I didn't take any detailed pictures of the CUCV I was hired to tow it, not do a photo shoot. Take Care and Be safe. 10 MPG and $100 worth of gasoline and I am back home again. Nice windy cold day for traveling. Too cold and windy for any work outside here.
DSCF8357.JPG
DSCF8359.JPG

cucvrus

Just as I was typing the last input I looked out and it was a total white out here. I recalled 6 years ago when the snow squall hit 5 miles from my home on I78. February 13, 2016, I was outside stacking firewood and loading my trucks up DSCF6384.JPG DSCF6385.JPG DSCF6374.JPG DSCF6375.JPG DSCF6378.JPG DSCF6380.JPGDSCF6388.JPG when I heard sirens and helicopters coming from all directions and they just kept coming. I discovered quickly the massive pile up crash of vehicles on I 78. Video Deadly Whiteout Causes Massive Pile-Up on PA Interstate 78 - ABC News (go.com) I didn't catch the white out while it was happening, I just heard water from vehicle tires and horns blowing out front of my house and looked to see everything covered in snow. It was 38* so it was not going to stay around very long. And just like that it started snowing and BOOM it was gone. I am glad I was NOT on the interstate. DSCF8360.JPG

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just as I was typing the last input I looked out and it was a total white out here. I recalled 6 years ago when the snow squall hit 5 miles from my home on I78. February 13, 2016, I was outside stacking firewood and loading my trucks up View attachment 859382 View attachment 859383 View attachment 859384 View attachment 859385 View attachment 859386 View attachment 859387View attachment 859388 when I heard sirens and helicopters coming from all directions and they just kept coming. I discovered quickly the massive pile up crash of vehicles on I 78. Video Deadly Whiteout Causes Massive Pile-Up on PA Interstate 78 - ABC News (go.com) I didn't catch the white out while it was happening, I just heard water from vehicle tires and horns blowing out front of my house and looked to see everything covered in snow. It was 38* so it was not going to stay around very long. And just like that it started snowing and BOOM it was gone. I am glad I was NOT on the interstate. View attachment 859389
That is the neatest and the tallest stack of wood ever stacked on the tailgate of a pickup. I score that a 10!!!

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just as I was typing the last input I looked out and it was a total white out here. I recalled 6 years ago when the snow squall hit 5 miles from my home on I78. February 13, 2016, I was outside stacking firewood and loading my trucks up View attachment 859382 View attachment 859383 View attachment 859384 View attachment 859385 View attachment 859386 View attachment 859387View attachment 859388 when I heard sirens and helicopters coming from all directions and they just kept coming. I discovered quickly the massive pile up crash of vehicles on I 78. Video Deadly Whiteout Causes Massive Pile-Up on PA Interstate 78 - ABC News (go.com) I didn't catch the white out while it was happening, I just heard water from vehicle tires and horns blowing out front of my house and looked to see everything covered in snow. It was 38* so it was not going to stay around very long. And just like that it started snowing and BOOM it was gone. I am glad I was NOT on the interstate. View attachment 859389
How much weight on that tail gate?

cucvrus

DSCF8213.JPG
How much weight on that tail gate?
A lot. I used my trucks to do this for years, I built this Honda to do the job more efficiently. Now I can get it right to the back door. I used to have to cart it 150 ft from the tailgate to the house. Now onto the patio, onto the cart, and into the basement. Much easier. Now I can drive the Honda to the wood piles load the rack one time and 2 cart loads and done. Think harder, work smarter.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I was sorting thru a few of my pintle hooks and trying to make a new setup for my M1102 trailer. DSCF8361.JPG These 2 have the CUCV swivel pintle hooks DSCF8362.JPG DSCF8363.JPG DSCF8364.JPG and I have a pintle from an M1031 that I want to use or a new one that I have in my stash. Somewhere, somehow, I will get a hitch made out of all these hitches. The one with the 2 bars I think I made that one from a drop hitch plate. The 2 bars sort of mess up my using that one for the hitch. I like the other one better with the center bar. I will have to work on this some other day. DSCF8365.JPGDSCF8366.JPG I have lots of heavy hitches. I see a few HMMWV from FITG towing trailers today. I think they were M1101 trailers. Take Care.

cucvrus

I filled all the drilled holes with button head torx bolts.DSCF8369.JPG DSCF8370.JPGSome of the nut inserts in the cover brackets were stripped out but I managed to get bolts in all of them. I cut down the inside wall bolts for the cover brackets because they would not fit with the upper flange bolts in place. DSCF8371.JPG DSCF8372.JPG DSCF8373.JPG DSCF8375.JPG DSCF8376.JPG DSCF8374.JPG I like the holes filled and that way they are reusable if the event ever arises. Take Care and Thank you for looking. Lots of holes drilled in the floor with nut inserts. This was a mobile machine shop or something like that. I am making a class 3 receiver tube for the rear and still working on a location for the license plate light and bracket. The hitch I just want because I can make one really useful. I have the material to make it, so I am doing it. Also provide protection for the 3 clearance lights under the center rear.

cucvrus

1645914491906.png
I came across a truck body that was wrecked and had this shelving inside. I was told to scrap and dispose of the body, and I removed the shelving inside before doing that. I also removed a few sections of E track to use on my M1102 trailer. Today I spent the entire day cleaning out a bay in the lower side of my barn. I am going to attach the shelving to the north wall of the barn. It will make great storage and maybe I can locate a few of my CUCV parts when I need them. I found a lot of good stuff today. My camera battery was dead. The best part about the shelves is they were scrapped. Freebies. I also did the Bill Murray cleaning in the barn with the doors open.
It blacked out the sun for a moment. It did a great job of cleaning out. I had the big backpack blower on. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

DSCF8378.JPG
Now let me see if I can get some organization here.
DSCF8379.JPG The shelves are on the trailer ready to install. I found some awesome parts I forgot I had. Sharing is caring. I had the stone wall rebuilt in 1995 and that is the last time it was empty and clean. I used to house pigs in this bay, and they tore it up. Looking back raising pigs for meat was not a wise choice. Have a Great Day. It is in the 20's now so I will try not to break a sweat.

cucvrus

As I was digging around thru parts and material, I came across a lot of nice stuff. I also found a boarding ladder that came with an M1008 I bought many years ago with a cargo cover and troop seats. I removed the cover and troop seats, and I stashed the boarding ladder in my lower barn on the upper rafters. It is OD green and has a tether with a pipe that can be placed in a pocket. It fits the CUCV tailgate. Is there such a boarding ladder? And was it made just for CUCV's of also Dodge? I am asking because I never seen one before. The fact that it fits the CUCV tailgate so nicely has me wondering. No pictures today. I am tired and resting for the day.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks