• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

I am outside doing yard and woods cleanup. Some things have got to go. I have this trailer frame listed on marketplace. DSCF8443.JPGDSCF8444.JPGDSCF8445.JPGDSCF8446.JPGDSCF8447.JPGI am going to be listing more stuff. It seems weather is working against me every week I have clean up from wind damaged trees. Last night I cut one down. Today I spend cleaning it up. I am trying my best to get onto my hobby but am side tracked weekly. No need to be disgruntled I need to step up and get rolling. It is a beautiful day in south central PA. I am going out to take full advantage of it. I hope to get some CUCV stripping done. And in the one picture I blew my CIA cover. It has my license plate and number visible. The same one I drive down the highways and byways fully exposed to all eyes. I think even my dented rear bumper is visible. Have a Great, Safe Day. And don't waste it. You never know if it may be your last. More later. I will let you with a little lullaby.

cucvrus

Outside working and cleaning up. I moved onto the chopping of the second M1009 roof. These things can't stay around here forever. Getting the glass out was really hard on this one. Not sure why but I spent more time removing the glass then I did sawing it up. This is the only way I know to get this stuff out of here. I offered them for free and no takers. So in the trunk of car it goes and thru the shredder. Not sure if it will ever be anything again. Fiberglass sucks. It has no recycling. There is a heavy metal rear frame inside around the window and the corners have steel in them also. I have another M1009 roof on the chopping block next. The roof cuts like butter with a Sawzall. DSCF8467.JPG DSCF8468.JPG DSCF8469.JPG DSCF8470.JPG
Have a great day. I was multi-tasking and taking full advantage of the great weather. I removed and sold 2 sets of front axle mounting plates and the sway bars and sold them. Thank you to a market place for stopping by. They should have came earlier and they could have had all the hardware. I threw all that in the scrap barrel and I wasn't dumping it out looking for U bolts , nuts and washers. I recommend not using axle U-bolts over anyway. Have a Great Day and be Safe. More tree work and clean up today. DSCF8465.JPG

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outside working and cleaning up. I moved onto the chopping of the second M1009 roof. These things can't stay around here forever. Getting the glass out was really hard on this one. Not sure why but I spent more time removing the glass then I did sawing it up. This is the only way I know to get this stuff out of here. I offered them for free and no takers. So in the trunk of car it goes and thru the shredder. Not sure if it will ever be anything again. Fiberglass sucks. It has no recycling. There is a heavy metal rear frame inside around the window and the corners have steel in them also. I have another M1009 roof on the chopping block next. The roof cuts like butter with a Sawzall. View attachment 866322 View attachment 866323 View attachment 866324 View attachment 866325
Have a great day. I was multi-tasking and taking full advantage of the great weather. I removed and sold 2 sets of front axle mounting plates and the sway bars and sold them. Thank you to a market place for stopping by. They should have came earlier and they could have had all the hardware. I threw all that in the scrap barrel and I wasn't dumping it out looking for U bolts , nuts and washers. I recommend not using axle U-bolts over anyway. Have a Great Day and be Safe. More tree work and clean up today. View attachment 866327
Dang busy beaver cutting up trees and old tops...hate to see the tops go, but I have 2 of them myself...keep cleaning up though and finding more parts!! Need a few things!!

cucvrus

1651918437461.jpg1651918450706.jpg
Can someone tell me if these LED lights are compatible with stock M1102 taillamp buckets? These look like they get flush mounted and I don't think they will work for trailer lights with the flat back. Just a question. Can anyone enlighten me on these lights. Thank you in advance. I am trying to retain the same style taillamps as the M1102 was designed to use. Otherwise it is pointless to change to this style if they are not gong to fit the buckets.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 866850View attachment 866851
Can someone tell me if these LED lights are compatible with stock M1102 taillamp buckets? These look like they get flush mounted and I don't think they will work for trailer lights with the flat back. Just a question. Can anyone enlighten me on these lights. Thank you in advance. I am trying to retain the same style taillamps as the M1102 was designed to use. Otherwise it is pointless to change to this style if they are not gong to fit the buckets.

My trailer is not here for me to run out and look, but I believe you need to use the full light as it uses the 2 bolt attachment in the back of the light that would fit flush with the back of the bucket. Physically they will fit in the bucket, but you would have to drill new holes in the bucket to mount that light and may run into issues with the wiring box on those lights as it would need spacers on the bolts to mount it. Hope that makes sense.

cucvrus

Looking back now, are there any after thoughts about selling that beautiful piece of green iron?
Not really. I had it 18 years and it had 1900 miles on it when I bought it. I was tired of fixing things all the time and the rust was coming aggressively. I replaced every body panel on that truck while I owned it with Genuine GM parts and the main cab started rusting in the roof line, cab corners and the kick panels inside. I had it apart so many times fixing minor rust I was tired of it. It was an awesome truck for sure. After I sold it I seen it and it was getting very rusty. So NO I don't have any regrets. It is an object not a person or living thing. One vehicle goes away and another one comes along. It always gets better and more comfortable.

cucvrus

This is old news. This is the condition of the M1102 trailer jack when I bought it. DSCF8449 - Copy.JPG DSCF8450.JPG I disassembled the entire jack. I cleaned everything DSCF8451.JPGand had the handle straightened in a press. DSCF8482.JPG DSCF8483.JPGI ordered a new tin cover plate from etrailer.com DSCF8484.JPG and replaced the bent twisted cover plate with a new one. DSCF8485.JPG I greased everything and adjusted everything until it was smooth as new. It is raining so I spent some time inside and worked in my basement workshop. I am going out to put the jack on the M1102 trailer chassis. I have a lot of work to do on that chassis. My outside work plans were thwarted by 47* weather and rain. I have the trailer tongue hanging from a sawhorse. I need to correct that. That way I completed something today in addition to 8 hours of work on my normal job. Take Care and Be Safe.

Attachments

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is old news. This is the condition of the M1102 trailer jack when I bought it. View attachment 866866 View attachment 866867 I disassembled the entire jack. I cleaned everything View attachment 866868and had the handle straightened in a press. View attachment 866870 View attachment 866871I ordered a new tin cover plate from etrailer.com View attachment 866872 and replaced the bent twisted cover plate with a new one. View attachment 866873 I greased everything and adjusted everything until it was smooth as new. It is raining so I spent some time inside and worked in my basement workshop. I am going out to put the jack on the M1102 trailer chassis. I have a lot of work to do on that chassis. My outside work plans were thwarted by 47* weather and rain. I have the trailer tongue hanging from a sawhorse. I need to correct that. That way I completed something today in addition to 8 hours of work on my normal job. Take Care and Be Safe.
Good thing tomorrow is Sunday so you can take a day off from your job. It will give you a chance to get more work done around your place.

cucvrus

Behave yourself, Tomorrow is Mother's Day. I wanted to get all my work completed today so I can rest after a long week of long hours. After overhauling the jack from the M1102 I went out to install the jack. The trailer tongue was too heavy for me. DSCF8486.JPG I thought for a moment and BAM. DSCF8492.JPG I shoved another steel sawhorse in the frame at the rear. It made the front manageable for me. DSCF8487.JPG DSCF8488.JPG For being a 2011 the wiring for the trailer is a bit rough. DSCF8490.JPG DSCF8489.JPG DSCF8491.JPG I am not sure what I am going to do. I may just replace the entire harness to the block because I don't pull it with a military truck anyway. I use the 7-pin round trailer plug. They sell a complete sealed 7 pin round 6 ft pigtail for $40. That seems to be the go-to on that. Take Care and Be Safe.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Behave yourself, Tomorrow is Mother's Day. I wanted to get all my work completed today so I can rest after a long week of long hours. After overhauling the jack from the M1102 I went out to install the jack. The trailer tongue was too heavy for me. View attachment 866877 I thought for a moment and BAM. View attachment 866883 I shoved another steel sawhorse in the frame at the rear. It made the front manageable for me. View attachment 866878 View attachment 866879 For being a 2011 the wiring for the trailer is a bit rough. View attachment 866881 View attachment 866880 View attachment 866882 I am not sure what I am going to do. I may just replace the entire harness to the block because I don't pull it with a military truck anyway. I use the 7-pin round trailer plug. They sell a complete sealed 7 pin round 6 ft pigtail for $40. That seems to be the go-to on that. Take Care and Be Safe.
A new harness gets my vote, for sure.

cucvrus

I had a very productive weekend. Today I multitasked a few things today. Grass cutting, chicken coop cleaning, and grinding this trailer jack mount off an old trailer frame piece. I found this Bulldog 2,000 lb jack in a field. I am mounting it on my utility trailer. I can't lift the trailer anymore when it is empty. DSCF8520.JPG DSCF8519.JPG DSCF8518.JPG This was welded 75% around and it was welded very good. I used a grinder and cut off wheel to get it off. I cleaned it up and will be welding it on my trailer A frame. DSCF8521.JPG I think it came out really well. I am happy with the results. Have a Great Day.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 866850View attachment 866851
I went out and looked and took a few pics of what's on mine...not sure if that'll help with the ones you have. They look a little different than what's on mine now. The screw pockets look deeper.

20220508_220828.jpg

20220508_220814.jpg

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a very productive weekend. Today I multitasked a few things today. Grass cutting, chicken coop cleaning, and grinding this trailer jack mount off an old trailer frame piece. I found this Bulldog 2,000 lb jack in a field. I am mounting it on my utility trailer. I can't lift the trailer anymore when it is empty. View attachment 867133 View attachment 867132 View attachment 867131 This was welded 75% around and it was welded very good. I used a grinder and cut off wheel to get it off. I cleaned it up and will be welding it on my trailer A frame. View attachment 867130 I think it came out really well. I am happy with the results. Have a Great Day.
Where there's a will there's a way. Will done.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My trailer is not here for me to run out and look, but I believe you need to use the full light as it uses the 2 bolt attachment in the back of the light that would fit flush with the back of the bucket. Physically they will fit in the bucket, but you would have to drill new holes in the bucket to mount that light and may run into issues with the wiring box on those lights as it would need spacers on the bolts to mount it. Hope that makes sense.

Or find two old lights and take the backs off, gut the lights and use them that way

cucvrus

As always I want the correct thing. I don't want to cobble something together and have it fail when it is -20 and I am 100 miles from home in a blizzard. I will live with the incandescent bulbs till I locate a pair of LED. I have many 4" civilian LED and will never be using the military pigtail so I may go that route. I have a set of brand new 7" LED HMMWV Trucklite headlamps I would trade for a new set of taillamps if anyone wants to trade. Take Care. Be Safe.

cucvrus

I am going out to my barn and work on a few things. An M1102 trailer and an M1009. I will be back with pictures. The M1102 needs to have operational hand brakes on it so I can park it and not have it roll away. I am going to put a lunette ring lock on it after I design one. I have 3 trailers that will be getting a lock so I can rest assured they are here when I go for them. Take Care.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am going out to my barn and work on a few things. An M1102 trailer and an M1009. I will be back with pictures. The M1102 needs to have operational hand brakes on it so I can park it and not have it roll away. I am going to put a lunette ring lock on it after I design one. I have 3 trailers that will be getting a lock so I can rest assured they are here when I go for them. Take Care.
I didn't know that there was a lunette ring lock... I use a short heavy piece of chain wrapped several times around the ring and secured with a heavy padlock. It isn't a perfect solution against a cut-off wheel and a battery powered grinder. It does keep the honest people honest though...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks