• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have been venturing back out to my barn. I am making slow progress getting things cleaned up and cleared out of the way so I can work on tractors and lawn equipment. I want to get my M1009 project completed for its 40th anniversary. The set back in December is still fresh on my mind. Take Care. Be Safe and Have Fun.
Keep your chin up pal...
Life can be sometimes be difficult for sure.

We are all pulling for you and thinking good thoughts.

cucvrus

DSCF9029.JPGDSCF9030.JPGLast week I started with the clean up. It was a massive mess. I had everything pulled out from the walls and insulated the ceiling and south side wall. I lost my helper as we all know so I just stopped that and put everything back so I can get back to my tasks at hand. This week I made even more progress. I could actually get a CUCV in the barn at this point. DSCF9032.JPG DSCF9032.JPG I still have more rearranging to do and I have to repair the Honda tractor in the pictures. Take Care and Be Safe.

Attachments

cucvrus

Progress report: I have everything that maintains the property repaired and back in service. I suspect in a week or 2 I will be back in CUCV M1009 mode. I have a lot of plans and they change as other things arise. I have all the body work completed on the M1009 I am restoring all I need to do is get it back into the production area. Been a tough year so far but things are looking better as the seasons change, I must also adapt to my current life situation. Take care and I learned yesterday that a man with a full beard should not eat ice cream cones in pubic. I retreated to an area of solitude and enjoyed my ice cream. Enough said. Happy Mother's Day and remember nothing is promised. See you in church.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I have been out working in my barn. I have made a slow start and am picking up momentum as I go. I have helped out a few people that needed work done on their vehicles. One was quoted $1200. to have an alternator and harmonic balancer replaced on a Honda CRV. I done it for them at less than 1/2 that. It was an adventure. I never done one before, but I went to YouTube University. earned a lot of tricks on the YouTube. I sanded and painted the rock crusher frame. DSCF9033.JPG I removed the LED military taillamps from the trailer chassis DSCF9034.JPGand installed a set of standard series 44 Truck Lite LED S/T/T lamps. No drilling and I just sandwiched the taillamps to the rear panel. DSCF9035.JPG DSCF9036.JPG DSCF9037.JPG DSCF9038.JPG Both sides same set up. I mitered some aluminum angle to protect the front clearance lamps I installed.DSCF9039.JPG The military had some awful corners on the front that were all smashed on every trailer chassis I seen. These are the same lamps I installed on several other trailer chassis I worked on. DSCF8570.JPG DSCF8577.JPG I added the 3" aluminum angle and mono bolted it in place. I know some of you need a few things from me. I am getting back out and gathering my life back together. Please be patient. I am NOT ignoring you. Thank you.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I have the current rock crusher trailer chassis in my barn bay and am going to paint it smoke gray. I wanted to show the stabilizer stands I harvested off of other trailer chassis to use on the rear. DSCF9040.JPG DSCF9041.JPG DSCF9042.JPG Everything has been cut and modified to accommodate the rock crusher. The rock crusher has been disassembled, inspected for weak spots and the entire thing has been sanded, primed and readied for paint. I am only painting the top and side outer surfaces of the trailer. The axle and underside I will let in CARC green. I just didn't want the Camouflage. The next bay over has the M1009 high and dry. I am soon ready to pull it into the production area. My best helper is gone now, and it hurts to go on alone. Take care and enjoy the holiday weekend and remember the men and women that defended and still defend this great country. Little Red will breathe again. DSCF9043.JPG DSCF9044.JPGI wanted to keep it warm, so I covered it with a blanket. The Crown Victoria leather seats I am going to send thru the car crusher. I pulled them out for someone that wanted them, and they never showed up for them. They were FREE. Go figure. Take Care and enjoy the weekend. I am available for parts. Hit me up sometime. rengle523@comcast.net
I know some of you have been patient with me. Thank you.

cucvrus

I applied the final coat on the trailer chassis. All in all, I think it looks great. I will be getting it un taped and reassembled after work today and I will post pictures. I like the OD brake handles and under parts. It shows a care of details and adds to the quality of the equipment. These aluminum trailers are well built and easy to work on and maintain. If it were steel, it would be rusting out of control. Now all I need to do is get back on task and get the M1009 in that garage bay. Keep up the support it helps keep me motivated. Thank you.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I applied the final coat on the trailer chassis. All in all, I think it looks great. I will be getting it un taped and reassembled after work today and I will post pictures. I like the OD brake handles and under parts. It shows a care of details and adds to the quality of the equipment. These aluminum trailers are well built and easy to work on and maintain. If it were steel, it would be rusting out of control. Now all I need to do is get back on task and get the M1009 in that garage bay. Keep up the support it helps keep me motivated. Thank you.
I like that trailer. I looked at a few to put my 320 shelter on but they didn't have the rear struts to support it. I didn't think of getting some and bolting them on to work like that. I think it is lower than a 1101?? Not sure. I found a guy up north pa that has 7 with the gensets on them but he didn't bother to apply for the sf97 so no titles. I'd like to get it out of the truck bed.

Boat Guy

Sent you a PM just now. Preciate your expertise and enthusiasm

cucvrus

One of my favorite parts of doing a paint job is pulling off all the taped and admiring the finished product. DSCF9063.JPGDSCF9064.JPGDSCF9065.JPGDSCF9066.JPGI applied a few reflectors and I took this picture here with the flash to see the response. DSCF9067.JPGI need to get the frame set back on the chassis and head north 100 miles to paint and reassemble the crusher assembly. I dug out a complete set of 5 M1009 wheels to begin hand sanding. Oh Joy. DSCF9068.JPG I am currently shopping for tires I have narrowed it down to Goodyear Dura Trak in stock size 31 x 10.5 x 15. I just want to see if I can find black wall tires. I never liked outlined white letters on any vehicle I owned let alone a CUCV. There I go with my opinion again. I know I offended someone. Have a Great Day.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Tonight I had to figure out how to get the frame onto the trailer all by myself. I had no helper, so I did it smarter not harder. DSCF9069.JPGDSCF9070.JPG DSCF9071.JPG I strapped the frame to the steel horses and it slid around like it was on ice. I positioned the trailer in the corner and raised the jack to lower the trailer in the rear. DSCF9070.JPG Next I attached the hand crank winches to the barn ceiling beams. I removed several CUCV bodies and cabs with this winch system. A bit slow but sure. DSCF9073.JPG DSCF9074.JPG That was easy enough. I put some wood on the frame for shipping the frame 100 miles north to reassemble the crusher onto the trailer chassis. DSCF9075.JPG All complete and I removed the winches and put them away until next time. I thought about parking my truck in the garage, but it seems that it would be tight. DSCF9076.JPG I set the trailer outside and will be making a trip with it next weekend. Things are going well. DSCF9077.JPG I have a clean empty shop again DSCF9078.JPG and will be sanding 5 M1009 wheels tomorrow and I hope to get the M1009 in place over this weekend. Take Care and Be Safe. See you in church.

Attachments

cucvrus

All M1009 wheels have been meticulously hand sanded with 180 grit sandpaper. I sanded everything, inside, outside, the inner rim and all the slots where the wheel attaches. Painting an item is 00.1% of the final job. It is the prep work that is the other 99.9%. Sure, I could slop some rust inhibitor on the wheels and slash flat black paint on them, but it shows in the end. The back side of a rim should look like the front side.DSCF9081.JPG It only takes a little more time to do the job right. It always takes longer to do the same job twice and it never matters what you are doing. I gave each rim its own table to set on. That eliminates any overspray and makes painting easier. DSCF9080.JPG
DSCF9079.JPG
I applied 2 coats and will wait a day to do 2 coats to the front of the wheel face. Thank you for looking. I split a few loads of wood from the M1102 trailer and still had all my goals met by 5 PM. Take Care and Be Safe. I will report progress as it happens.

Attachments

cucvrus

1686947233815.pngI just posted this so you could see waste. Quick look I stole the picture it may be taken back again. A pile of M561 Gama Goats in Germany. The Gama Goat was initially designed for the US Military during the Vietnam War, was a remarkable off-road vehicle with six-wheel drive and partial amphibious capabilities. It gained recognition for its flexible structure, enabling it to navigate through extremely rugged landscapes. Additionally, its distinctive feature included a special four-wheel steering system where the front and rear wheels turned in opposite directions.

cucvrus

DSCF9132.JPG
This is just an old CUCV hood I had laying around. I painted it with the CARC paint that was left over from painting my M1009 tub inside. I am going to hang this one over the wood stove upside down as a heat shield. This is the wood stove in my shop/barn. I want to do the 3-color camouflage pattern on it first. I always use paint when I mix it. Take Care and Be Safe.

Another Ahab

View attachment 901940
This is just an old CUCV hood I had laying around. I painted it with the CARC paint that was left over from painting my M1009 tub inside. I am going to hang this one over the wood stove upside down as a heat shield. This is the wood stove in my shop/barn. I want to do the 3-color camouflage pattern on it first. I always use paint when I mix it. Take Care and Be Safe.
Pure genius!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks