• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

I was also very busy on NON CUCV related work. Completed the paint on the scaffold north side of my barn. Moving scaffold is a 1 day goal met project. This work don't get any easier as I get older. Not as easy as working on CUCV's with both feet firmly planted on the ground or close to it. I brush painted the entire barn. Been down the spray road and didn't like it and the roller road makes more clean up and more mess. So far so good. DSCF7585.JPGDSCF7591.JPGDSCF7592.JPG
Still a long way from my completed project plans. More later. Be Safe. Free painting Lessons held weekends thru October.

Attachments

cucvrus

As long as you like Chicken thighs. That is about all I cook on the Smoker while painting and working outside. They are the easiest and I never have to worry about dried out meat. Now on non work days I use the Treager for all types of meat smoking/cooking. Fun times. Not many of them lately. Seems like I had to many fun times and things have gotten out of hand and went into disrepair. I'm working on that. 1 day at a time. Take Care.

cucvrus

I do some barn work for others from time to time. Back in 1992 I dug around the entire barn and we had a foundation poured under the barn where the stones are setting. If you look on the left side of the stones in the picture you can see a vertical line in the stones. That area was open and I had a trailer pushed up under the barn. All it ever had going for it was a place for animals and feral cats to use as a place to die or defecate. I had that area stoned as well. I hauled all the stones to the site in my Isuzu diesel 4x4 truck. I procured the stones when the city was tearing houses down and I seen buildings that had fallen in disrepair. Yesterday I was at a barn looking at some structural work and the lower barn bay windows were shielded with Marstan Matting from WWII. A few sections of it. I will need to secure some of that historical stuff for my strange collection. Be Safe. Picture is a generic picture. downloadmarstan Matting.jpgCool Stuff.

cucvrus

118581232_3792202897461822_5965221520042486256_obarn August 27, 2020.jpg
This is the current up to date photo of my CUCV assembly building. I am 1/2 way there and getting there slowly. I could have quickly splashed 50 gallons of red from the paint sprayer but I crawled and examined ever nook and cranny as I went. I painted everything with a 3" brush. I always say if you are going to do it try and do it right. Or just do it. There is no try. I always get told I have to much time on my hands. Negative. I try and make a reasonable goal each day and exceed or meet that goal. I admit I get a lot of days that get fouled up by weather and other forces beyond my control. I like to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. It only costs a few dollars more to make each task first class. From this. DSCF4128.JPG to thisDSCF7537.JPG in less than 3 years. Haste makes waste. Take your time and do it right the first time. Hacking is never good. Take Care and Be Safe. This M1009 will be on the European continent very soon. It deserves a better life.

cucvrus

I have a new patient in my operating area to work on. A customer had his M1028 shipped here with a no start condition. P1000297.JPGP1000298.JPGP1000299.JPGIt was dropped off from a roll back and it will not start. Glow plugs are working in stock form and fuel is up to filter, injection pump and still no start. I was told it would start and run a bit and shut off. This time it shut off and will not start. I will do some diagnostics. Mine may differ from yours or the TM's. I don't look at books unless it's the last resort. Cranks fine and I was surprised to see this truck still has the original belts and hoses from the factory. The hoses I am used to seeing but the belts not so much anymore. Needless to say they are in need of replacement.P1000300.JPG This is what I like to see and work on when a CUCV is here. A completely unhacked stock CUCV. No bypasses, relay mods, manual buttons and snapping. popping relays. Just plain old stock out of the box CUCV vehicles. This one does have a solid pulley alternator on Gen 1 side and an extra ground cable from front battery to block to core support. I wonder who did that add on. I did 5 years ago. and this still has the13G AC Delco glow plugs I installed 5 years ago. No cascading going on here. I am thinking straight on death of a 35 year old injection pump. More later. I must prep for surgery. Being Safe with an accurate diagnosis is the best goal.

cucvrus

I determined the glow plugs were working thru observing the volt meter. When it clicked in the meter dropped and when it clicked out the meter rose. But I always like an eyeball of glow plugs so I removed them. That also helps see if fuel is being sent to the delivery nozzles from the injection pump. Less strain on starter and batteries. My little 400 amp jump pack.P1000301.JPG I use it on lawn tractors and a portable 12 volt source for many testing and diagnosis projects. Works well and protects itself. Light weight and very dependable. I camp the glow plugs in and push the button. P1000302.JPGI always wait till the tip glows. I have seen a few that glowed up shaft towards the threads and that is still a working glow plug but will not help start the cold CUCV.P1000303.JPGP1000304.JPG All 8 tested good. P1000305.JPG I do see some bent, out of line throttle linkage. P1000306.JPG I will diagnose that further later. It appears the bolts on the bracket to injection pump have come loose and fallen into the abyss. I removed the throttle cable that was what was holding the bracket in place. I turned the truck over and determined it was pumping fuel from the lift pump thru the stock fuel cartridge. Good strong flow. I decided to remove the injection pump cover and take a look see inside. Cautious. I always use an impact gun. I seem to have 100% results with the impact verses the hand ratchet. Breaking the 10/24 hex screws was not on my goal list today. P1000307.JPGP1000308.JPG Success. Nothing appears out of ordinary. Clean fuel and I check the cover switch it works. So I guess it is time to yank the injection pump. This is the Jersey Indian M1028. This is a customers truck. I try and spend money and time accurately and retain everything in stock form. More later. I have more pictures and I know everyone like pictures.

cucvrus

After about an hour of wrenching and removing nuts and bolts I have the entire injection pump removed. I recommend the use of cordless tools. They made my life easier. P1000309.JPG I disturbed a mouse nest under the intake. I had a nozzle nut that was seized on the delivery nozzle. But a 30 mm open end wrench and a 19 mm line wrench was all that took. It just wasn't coming off without carnage any other way. I vacuumed out the intake and I always place 1 square of paper towel in each of the 10 house in the heads. The paper towel sections keep foreign objects out of them areas. P1000310.JPGNo visitors wanted. I see the old original intake gaskets. The ones you need to disc off and clean everything carefully. I also observed RED lock tight on the injection pump gear. I was a bit worried when I had a 20 inch ratchet to break all 3 of the bolts loose. Who does that? As I inspected the pump it appears to have been seeping at the seals on the bottom but the throttle shaft seals appear dry. I wanted to show the bent linkage. P1000311.JPGP1000312.JPG And also I do think this pump was pulled out before but it is still the original style and vintage old school pump. It will be sent to Diesel Care and overhauled. Nice thing is they are now removing the old tags and replacing the with a new dated tag. that will stop the BS about I just put a new injection pump on it. I never put a used or NOS injection pump on ever again. I leaned the hard way by doing the job 2 or 3 times. People brought me the parts and I done the work and they were unhappy with the results. They always said the engine ran perfect that I took the pump off of. No more used pumps here. P1000313.JPGDSCF7419.JPGDSCF7420.JPG
I will be calling and getting a ship label and sending this pump back for rebuild. I think a new lift pump is in order also. I see a few things that need attention. More later. Take care and Be Safe.

Sezzo

Checking and rebuilding the injection pump on Little Red M1009 does make sense too. I don‘t know when you will finally start this project but maybe it is a good idea to send in Little Reds injection pump too. Maybe you get a discount for sending two injection pumps.

cucvrus

I didn't send 2 injection pumps because I don't want the warranty ticking away as I work on the Little Red M1009. Thru all the foul weather we had in the past week I did manage to get the scaffolding taken down and finished the North side of my barn. I don't have a political posting pictured but I think you know who I support. Take Care and Be Safe. I have the scaffold set up on the West side of the barn. If it stops raining someday I can continue. And another thing Carpenter Ants are a mess. I have limbs and trees blown down and am cutting daily to get them cleaned up. I worked in rain for 2 vacation days cleaning up a big mess. 118724074_3805015242847254_1969905256882992392_oBarn..jpg

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't send 2 injection pumps because I don't want the warranty ticking away as I work on the Little Red M1009. Thru all the foul weather we had in the past week I did manage to get the scaffolding taken down and finished the North side of my barn. I don't have a political posting pictured but I think you know who I support. Take Care and Be Safe. I have the scaffold set up on the West side of the barn. If it stops raining someday I can continue. And another thing Carpenter Ants are a mess. I have limbs and trees blown down and am cutting daily to get them cleaned up. I worked in rain for 2 vacation days cleaning up a big mess. View attachment 810982

That kinda reminds me of the gas tank on Peter Fonda's motor sickle.

ssdvc

I didn't send 2 injection pumps because I don't want the warranty ticking away as I work on the Little Red M1009. Thru all the foul weather we had in the past week I did manage to get the scaffolding taken down and finished the North side of my barn. I don't have a political posting pictured but I think you know who I support. Take Care and Be Safe. I have the scaffold set up on the West side of the barn. If it stops raining someday I can continue. And another thing Carpenter Ants are a mess. I have limbs and trees blown down and am cutting daily to get them cleaned up. I worked in rain for 2 vacation days cleaning up a big mess. View attachment 810982
That is one AESOME looking barn Rick. Sweet job !

cucvrus

118997143_3819958204686291_783641886382071124_oTrail Boss.jpg
Check out this picture. I pulled the truck in the back yard and my Wife snapped a picture. Look closely and you can see a reflection from the truck projecting on the barn. I see the American Bald Eagle head and wings. I am taking this as a sign of good things are going to happen in our country. This was not a set up of planned picture. I just looked at it when my Wife sent it to me. Baseball, Hotdog's, Apple Pie and Chevrolet. USA-1.

cucvrus

I have had a very hot and busy summer here at the barn. P1000386 (1).JPGI started this job in the beginning of May 2020. Today after work I plan on completing the last 30" x 20' roof panel. That will get me off the roof and down on scaffold. That is a mile marker after all the work I done.
Meanwhile I have been working on 3 CUCV related projects. One of my projects is an old rebuild from 2015 Mr Rusty. P1000389.JPGP1000390.JPGP1000391.JPGP1000392.JPG Mr Rusty is still looking good and was dropped off for an annual check up. Rust is always an issue on these trucks and this truck has an extra case of rust due to the task it is used for. All this truck does is plow snow and stays in the woods at the owners house. The driveway is about 2 miles long and a dirt road in the mountains. So it sees a lot of slop and salt. I noticed it started a bit hard when I went to move it so the first thing I done was dive under the hood and remove the glow plugs. I bench tested them and sure enough I had 1 bad glow plug. P1000393.JPG
I have the glow plugs installed and inside of a grease filled piece of 3/8" fuel line. Keeps the corrosion off the connections. And as I always say I change the defective glow plug only. No need to replace all 8. I have this wired 100% stock with the ballasts still hooked up and the original glow plug card. That and having the rubber inner fender apron seals bolted in has helped a great deal to keep the salt and slush out from under the engine compartment. Looking under the hood and at a general over all condition of the truck I would say 1 new muffler (2015) and a few lubrication points and Mr Rusty can be back in service. I can see that in the next few years it will need new brake lines and a few injection lines. The nozzles are solid rust but still working so I will move on. And if you want to see a major project to NOT restore just repair a useful CUCV M1028. Check this out. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/meet-mr-rusty.140975/
Be Safe and Take Care.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

View attachment 815097I started this job in the beginning of May 2020. Today after work I plan on completing the last 30" x 20' roof panel. That will get me off the roof and down on scaffold. That is a mile marker after all the work I done.
Brother cucvrus, that ladder set-up of yours makes me nervous.

But you're down all off it now, and sound-and safe in body and mind, so HOORAY!!

You are one "busy beaver" is all I can say. Cheers, man!

cucvrus

I have the scaffold ratchet strapped to the roof rafters and the top of the extension ladder 1/2 has a roof hook. When I am up there the force was all down towards the roof. I used to use finger clamp vise grips and step on 1 pair and hang from the other pair. This is a huge improvement in safety. It is very comfortable up there and I have it down to a science at this point. Today is the final day on the roof. I am over joyed with my results. Many times I paid to get a half fast job done to that roof. Take Care. Be Safe.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Finally after 6 weeks I have received the rebuilt injection pump back.P1000394.JPG And it has the freshness date on the tag and it is the same pump I sent in for rebuilding. I heard controversy about the original pump not being returned. I punched a E in the flange and sent it off. The E is still in the flange. P1000396.JPG They received the pump 08/31/2020 and I just got it back today. I must get this installed and get the truck back to the customer. I am going to replace the lift pump and the fuel filter cartridge as well. I hope to get this completed very quickly. My work is snow balling again the same as every year when the snow plow trucks show up. More later. I just wanted to share the news. And the barn roof is completed. Joy to the World. P1000395.JPG Diesel Performance Memphis Tennessee was the rebuilder. I have had several dozen rebuilt there and never had any issues. Good Luck to you on your projects.

Another Ahab

More later. I just wanted to share the news. And the barn roof is completed. Joy to the World. Diesel Performance Memphis Tennessee was the rebuilder. I have had several dozen rebuilt there and never had any issues. Good Luck to you on your projects.
The roof is ALWAYS a good place to start the renovation of any building. So, cucvrus, you are a wise man!

Here's how I know.

True story (about roofs):

- The historic rail station in D.C. is Union Station, and some 40 years back it was sadly shabby (worse for wear mostly).

- The U.S. Congress undertook a total interior renovation, gold leaf highlights and everything. No expense was spared. They did it right.

- EXCEPT for one particular detail. They forgot/ ignored the roof. Within 3-4 months they had a major roofing failure and ALL that renovation was ruined.

You (as the U.S. Taxpayer) likely never heard about this. No one was scolded. No one took the hit, except you and me!

Being the U.S. Congress, they just dipped back into the Treasury and wrote another check from OUR account (yours and mine).

The BAD news, they (we) paid to do the whole renovation, again. The GOOD news, this time they started with replacement of the old roof.

I'm betting you never heard this story. I was in commercial contracting here at the time. It generated some chatter in the industry.

You will not have this problem, because you are The Wise Man!

That's it The End.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks