• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yea I wanted to point out I also removed the antenna brackets and welded all the hole shut where the brackets attached to the body. I like the clean look. I always seen a rust area starting around everyone of them bolt holes.
It's great you got it back!! It'll be new once you're done! You should have enough parts to get it done spot on too! If the antenna mounts are the ones that mount to the outside I know someone that's dieing to have an antenna on his blazer! We're making a list for the next trip up to help empty out that barn!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cucvrus

Yea I don't have any of the antenna brackets. Shame is back 25 years ago I removed everyone and tossed it them in the scrap metal container. That was all the cargo cover bows, dash mounted raio rackes and the rear seat radio racks. Into the scrap steel they went. The people thatw ere buying mytrucks wanted snow plow vehicles. Hillbilly wizard sells new antenna brackets.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Tonight after work I had planned on mowing grass again. As sson as the thought crossed my mind and I was going out the door the skies opened up and iyt poured down rain. So much for that job. I had other things that needed taken care of. It has been a couple years since I started an M1009 I have stored in the outbuilding on another property. These first pictures remind me of an under seas adventure like the Titanic. View attachment 846634 It has been setting there about 10 years and was stripped of all the parts. Not sure what the plan was but I have it back in my possession again. View attachment 846635 Everything mechanical and electrical is there and in place. View attachment 846639The batteries are dead and I was able to slave start it. It glowed and fired right up. I drove it outside around the yard. View attachment 846636 View attachment 846637 I had put new rockers on it before I sold it and basically it is how I sold it except it is missing all the body parts. They are gone forever. No problem. View attachment 846638 I cut the rear radio rack mounts off the wheel well tubs. View attachment 846640 It had some floor rust I glued and graphed some sections from a donor CUCV onto the rusty area. View attachment 846642 The right side rear corner is really clean. View attachment 846641 The unit did have some rusty rocker panels. I replaced them. View attachment 846643 But all in all it is a decent vehicle with 52K miles. When I bought it it still had the factory rubber mat and the jute under the mat. It was always wet inside and I removed all the interior and I found the floor had bad spots in it. I bought this unit in 2006 so I know the history. Someone else bought it as is and was going to complete it. that fell thru and I ended up getting it back minus all the parts. This will be my final CUCV rebuild. After this edition I am retiring from the trade and washing out my barn and keeping all my nice toys inside. I just wanted to share the pictures because I have a few customers in Germany that has some interest in these vehicles and maybe this one in particular. I can't rush it. That don't work out well. Take Care and enjoy the pictures.
Engine compartment looks really good and REALLY GOOD when she fired off and took you around the yard! So cool...

cucvrus

May be an image of 1 person

This is a good picture of my Grand Son. My helper. I prepped a bunch of parts and hung them up outside. I primed and painted them and told him NOT to touch the things. An hour or so went by and I wondered why he wasn't coming in the garage and was sitting on his bike for a long time. I called him to come over and noticed green paint on his face. I said hey what did you do? His face tells the whole story. My Son his Dad took the picture. All I was worried about was his shoes were on the wrong feet and he would be walking in circles. I was telling him that when the picture was taken. A CUCV brush guard was what he touched and I hardly took notice to it when it dried. CARC paint hides a lot of defects. Just wanted to share this. Fun Times. How could you get mad at that face? This was about 6 years ago.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
May be an image of 1 person

This is a good picture of my Grand Son. My helper. I prepped a bunch of parts and hung them up outside. I primed and painted them and told him NOT to touch the things. An hour or so went by and I wondered why he wasn't coming in the garage and was sitting on his bike for a long time. I called him to come over and noticed green paint on his face. I said hey what did you do? His face tells the whole story. My Son his Dad took the picture. All I was worried about was his shoes were on the wrong feet and he would be walking in circles. I was telling him that when the picture was taken. A CUCV brush guard was what he touched and I hardly took notice to it when it dried. CARC paint hides a lot of defects. Just wanted to share this. Fun Times. How could you get mad at that face? This was about 6 years ago.
That little guy is so cute.
Like you said, his expression tells the story for sure!

Yessir, grands are a thrill a minute and they are wonderful helpers.
My granddaughters really enjoy helping dad (my elder son) change oil and projects like that...

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 847649 Low budget repairs get the job done. I see stuff like this often.
And somebody is betting their life on that wood screw.
Not to mention anybody else on the same road with them...
(and that isn't a one shot, to drive home on fix either!)

I do have to admit that I have "rigged" things just to get home, but after that the real parts have got to be used!

ssdvc

From CUCV's to a Tank. Not a bad leap. Restore the interior with a few modern touches, update the drive train and clear the body, keeping the rust. That thing will scare anyone on the road, with the exception of some hardy long haulers !

cucvrus

I have been building a small snow plow tractor out of scrap parts. DSCF8189.JPG DSCF8190.JPG DSCF8192.JPG DSCF8191.JPG I bought this earlier in the summer when I needed parts to fix my Honda tractor. I used the parts and decided to get this one operational. The PTO clutch was burnt out and they are expensive to fix and the previous owner did not want to spend the money to repair it. DSCF8193.JPGDSCF8195.JPGAll the clutch parts are scrap. DSCF8194.JPGHello Facebook market place. The one tractor I bought had the Cycle Country snow plow attached to it and the guy said he was scrapping the plow. I ask to have it and he gave it up. I have everything working and fixed and now I need to source 4 tires that hold air long enough for me to test it and see if it is fully functional. After I make that determination, I will buy 4 new tires for it. My Wife helped me haul the Honda carcasses away. The Kubota did the lifting again. DSCF8196.JPG And I was looking for washer nozzles. All these cowl screens and no washer nozzles. HMMMDSCF8197.JPG
Somethings got to give. Take Care and Have a Safe Week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks