• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

WOOD
DSCF8972.JPG
DSCF8973 - Copy.JPG
DSCF8974.JPG
DSCF8975.JPG
I loaded all this wood with 2 fingers and while sitting down. That was easy. I will split it 1 piece at a time while unloading it. The surge brakes on the M1102 trailer work great. The other trailer just pushes you all the way home. I think the M1028 is over the 9400GVWR. Have a Great Day and I am starting to cut wood for the winter of 2029.

Last edited:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter

cucvrus

Today I was up bright and early like normal. I checked all the fluids and DSCF8976 - Copy.JPG DSCF8977.JPGI fired up the M1028 in 20*F. I left it warm up about a 1/2 hour while I stacked wood. Wood has consumed my time the past 2 weeks. But with heating oil at $5. + a gallon this wood is money in the bank. I ran to a sawmill and bought a load of slab wood for a project I am working on. While I was driving on my way to the sawmill, I noticed that when I accelerated the truck seemed to heave to the left. I had the load on and drove back home and it was not as noticeable. I guess because I drove a bit slower. I am heading to New York state with this load, and I was concerned about the pulling to the left. I checked all the tires and greased the steering linkage just as a normal maintenance thing. The right rear tire only had 20 psi in it. I inflated it to 60 and checked all 4 tires. I proceeded to take it for a test drive. Like magic the left pull was gone. I don't understand but that was the cure. About 1500 lbs of wood in the bed. Nice that the tailgate can close. I didn't want to haul it in my new truck. And I didn't want to tow a trailer. This will do the job. Now I must get myself ready to take this horror trip. After driving new stuff for the past 15 years on any long trips I forget how it is to hear katydids for 4 hours each way. DSCF8978.JPG DSCF8981.JPG DSCF8982.JPG Like Rock. I split all this wood over the weekend. DSCF8979.JPGI still have this to go. DSCF8980.JPG DSCF8983.JPGTake Care and have a Great Day. Enjoy the change in season and have a Happy Thanksgiving with your family and friends.

cucvrus

I am in my barn doing some insulation. It is 2 1/4" black hi density foam. DSCF8987.JPGIt will do the job. After working in the garage/barn for over 30 years I am doing some much-needed updates to the structure. Electric and insulation are on the list first. I set a goal to get 1 section completed each day. I am completed with 2 and am going out to do the 3rd one. It is basically cut it 1/4" wider and hammer it in place. I said hammer. It is very dense, and I used a 2 x 4 and a sledgehammer to get it in tight. Just the weight and pressure seat it tight and then I screw it at each corner just as a precaution. Happy with my results and the ease of installation. I acquired the stuff as scrap and was told to scrap it. It's gone. DSCF8988.JPG The next section is waiting. I will report back later. DSCF8989.JPG

cucvrus

Doing the insulation in my barn sure has turned up a lot of parts from vehicles past. I found diesel Chevette parts and Isuzu diesel parts. Mostly bolts and small parts that I will never need again. I did find a brand-new Mile Marker inner lock out hub assembly. It is made to fit the CUCV trucks. I don't have any CUCV trucks with mile marker hubs. Anyone that wants it can have it. Just pay the postage and it is yours. Otherwise, it will be in the scrap bucket along with many other treasures I found. Amazing what I stashed up on the barn beams in boxes and cans all marked with the make and model of parts it contained. I made great headway yesterday and will need to rest a bit. A friend was over last night, and he said he never seen anyone use a sledgehammer to put insulation in place. It is not like a full swing, but I cut this HI density foam about a 1/4 bigger and hammer it in place with a 2 x 4 and a sledgehammer if needed. Most times a 2 lb. hammer works. But being the barn is over 100 years old it tends to be out of square at most places. I will post pictures of my progress later today. Take Care and Be Safe. Happy Thanksgiving.

dougco1

Doing the insulation in my barn sure has turned up a lot of parts from vehicles past. I found diesel Chevette parts and Isuzu diesel parts. Mostly bolts and small parts that I will never need again. I did find a brand-new Mile Marker inner lock out hub assembly. It is made to fit the CUCV trucks. I don't have any CUCV trucks with mile marker hubs. Anyone that wants it can have it. Just pay the postage and it is yours. Otherwise, it will be in the scrap bucket along with many other treasures I found. Amazing what I stashed up on the barn beams in boxes and cans all marked with the make and model of parts it contained. I made great headway yesterday and will need to rest a bit. A friend was over last night, and he said he never seen anyone use a sledgehammer to put insulation in place. It is not like a full swing, but I cut this HI density foam about a 1/4 bigger and hammer it in place with a 2 x 4 and a sledgehammer if needed. Most times a 2 lb. hammer works. But being the barn is over 100 years old it tends to be out of square at most places. I will post pictures of my progress later today. Take Care and Be Safe. Happy Thanksgiving.
Add some white paint to your foam ceiling when your done and it will brighten your day.

cucvrus

Add some white paint to your foam ceiling when your done and it will brighten your day.
Would you recommend I spray that or brush it? I get crap from a few people because I brush paint barns and outbuildings. I feel that I get an eyeball view of the entire surface with the brush and get a solid even coat on every square inch with no overspray and nasty equipment to clean. I can brush paint 1 hour or 10 and clean the brush and done. Opinions will vary.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks