• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once found a shop catalogue from the 1930s. Fractions of a dollar were pretty meaningful in the scope of pricing back then. It'd be pretty nice to get a set of leaf springs for a buck thirty.

cucvrus

I was called over to the vehicle maintenance department because an M1028 salt spreader truck had no lights and was not charging. The horror I see is unreal. Cut wires and all sorts of spades jacked into outlets and running in all directions. I went to do my inline fuse repair and found wires just cut off. Not my work. I stepped back and will ponder the repair.
l have a headache looking at this mess. Good Luck.

IMG_0676.jpegIMG_0675.jpegIMG_0674.jpegIMG_0671.jpegIMG_0672.jpegIMG_0673.jpegIMG_0670.jpeg

Last edited:

cucvrus

I thought about it and have decided to send the CUCV spreader truck out to a garage to have it fixed. I don't want to involve myself in the hacking that has taken place thus far. Not sure I would be satisfied with the results and adding all the wires back into the box. Not the worse one I ever seen but close enough. Have a Great Day. Sometimes you just have to walk away.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was called over to the vehicle maintenance department because an M1028 salt spreader truck had no lights and was not charging. The horror I see is unreal. Cut wires and all sorts of spades jacked into outlets and running in all directions. I went to do my inline fuse repair and found wires just cut off. Not my work. I stepped back and will ponder the repair.

View attachment 912217View attachment 912218View attachment 912219View attachment 912220View attachment 912221View attachment 912222View attachment 912223
Rick,
I think you may be losing your "Clout", or maybe your "Reputation" at your truck dealership. They should have come to you first for some simple repair advise before they decided to do a "hack job".
These young mechanics now-a-days know it all and don't need us olé-timers anymore.

Mg84648

Rick,
I think you may be losing your "Clout", or maybe your "Reputation" at your truck dealership. They should have come to you first for some simple repair advise before they decided to do a "hack job".
These young mechanics now-a-days know it all and don't need us olé-timers anymore.
It's amazing the amount of effort people go through working around a problem instead of fixing the original issue. They probably had trouble with the headlights and instead of cleaning a few contacts or replacing sockets they started hacking and adding new wiring and in-line fuses.
I guess that's fine if you're the only one working on the truck but as soon as you leave or sell it the poor "next guy" is clueless as to what was done and is left with this.
It's simply poor practice in my opinion.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 912217View attachment 912218View attachment 912219View attachment 912220View attachment 912221View attachment 912222View attachment 912223
I'ts odd to add a bunch of power wires to go under the hood off the fuse box when there is a perfect place under the hood to hook to. Cutting up the fuse box is something I'll never do. That looks like a several hour job just to figure out what they did. I feel for the guy that ends up getting it at the shop they take it to. These trucks are so simple why they gotta make it difficult!!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a nos one in the box a few weeks ago...had the filter on it too. 300$ meant it stayed in that box!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

cucvrus

Today it is cold and dry. I am long due for clean up and organizing my things. IMG_0952.jpeg
IMG_0951.jpeg
Further back in the center bay I moved several items and found a TH400 from a CUCV M1010 I parted out 25 + years ago. I relived when I seen it but never missed it. It was from an M1010 that had less then 5 k miles on it. I still would not just put it on a truck and drive off. IMG_0952.jpeg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks