• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cylinder head port and polishing

GoHot229

It's doubtfull that this would help to make horsepower if thats what your getting at. The specific shape and squish designed into the head of a multifuel is such so as to be able to burn multiple fuels, and it's my understanding that much design and spesefications were designed into the combustion chamber shape. so porting with low velocity due to low rpm and cfm needs, I think its unlikely.

Would a P&P increase the ammount of CFM's that make it into the combustion chamber? Also would a decrease in restriction and turbulance lower EGT's and allow for a more complete burn?

My thought is you could increase the efficiency of the engine with no actual design change, and therefore would not affect the durability and reliability.

My other idea is to explore how much ceramic coating and heat wrapping the exhaust from the heads to the turbo would benefit the engine.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tend to think it wouldn't make that much difference either. I have no data to back it up though. I'm sure it would make a difference I just don't think it would be enough to ever notice.

IMO the best thing you could do to increase available O2 would be to find a way to stuff a charge air cooler in front of the radiator.

jwaller

add 1si of boost to get that kind of cfm improvment. it's not going to help much. I have tried this on other motors. if it was a NA motor then I'd say yes it could help a lot. but with a boosted engine, porting will not help near as much. there are many other ways to get more power. you should spend about 120 hours to do this properly on a multi and you could net nearly nothing. more fuel, water inj, more boost, and you should have more than enough power to hurt the trans or xcase.

JasonS

add 1si of boost to get that kind of cfm improvment. it's not going to help much. I have tried this on other motors. if it was a NA motor then I'd say yes it could help a lot. but with a boosted engine, porting will not help near as much. there are many other ways to get more power. you should spend about 120 hours to do this properly on a multi and you could net nearly nothing.
don't forget the money that'll have to be spent on new gaskets.

An air to air or water to air inner cooler might help but finding some place to mount so as to be protected from damage would be a challenge. And how about modernizing the turbo something with say ceramic bearings.

Why not do all of the above? Like most guys here I love to tinker and always have a project. I don't have a Deuce yet, but when I get one the list of what id like to do with it is endless.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An air to air or water to air inner cooler might help but finding some place to mount so as to be protected from damage would be a challenge. And how about modernizing the turbo something with say ceramic bearings.
There was a thread where somebody added one to a 5-ton multifuel. The grill had to be redesigned though.

I'm wondering if you could use a A3 front grill and fit a innercooler in there?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Porting and polishing has minimal affect on a turbocharged engine. Naturally aspirated motors, yes, turbocharged no. The advice about turning up the fuel and if you want, propane are good. I had propane on a Dodge Cummins for 10 years with no problems. It will not make it run wild, and adds a lot of power. We want to put it on a Multifuel, but it is one of those things we have not gotten around to yet. Like all power modifications, the success of it depends on the good sense of the operator.

Regards Marti

Regards Marti

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a thread where somebody added one to a 5-ton multifuel. The grill had to be redesigned though.

I'm wondering if you could use a A3 front grill and fit a innercooler in there?
The intake is already an air to water cooler. That's what that big 'ol log above the exhaust manifold is.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The intake is already an air to water cooler. That's what that big 'ol log above the exhaust manifold is.
Will, there is some debate as to whether the water in the manifold heats or cools the air. Some say it's to warm the air in cold climates.

I tend to think it will cool the air some at high boost pressures but I don't think it's very efficient.

tm america

Porting increases air flow but also moves the power band up higher.But this doesnt help much on a multifuel as they cant take anymore rpm before the rods fail.Porting the intake will have little effect but porting the exhaust side can help lower egt .Lowering the egt can lower power output as the turbo wont spool up as quickly and boost and power will drop

mudguppy

the only diesels that get P&P jobs are those that do hi-rpm sled pulling. high is not 3k rpm, high is 5-6k+ rpm.

also, at an ambient air temp of about 80°, if you compress it to 12 lbs of positive boost, the resulting air temp is only going to be around 145°.

the engine coolant in the manifold will not be cooling 145° charge air. now, if you had 30 lbs of positive boost, then temps would be well over 260° and the coolant might make a difference (for the extremely short time that it passes through the exchanger).

but you won't be seeing 30 lbs of boost out of a multi more than once...

Ive been reading up on the subject and from what I've read a P&P on a turbo charged diesel is actually more beneficial at lower rpm's rather then higher due to less pressure and more turbulence. Also that port matching can make a BIG difference at low rpms.

Another thing I read is that porting will lower EGTs and spool the turbo sooner not later. I know heat is needed to expand gases which increases volume of air but im sure there is a limit or a equilibrium where increased air flow and heat work the best.

The only way to know one way or another is to bench flow a multi-fuel head before and after various stages of porting. A flow bench will tell you whether you are helping or hindering.

FM5332FF

I can hear it now... KABOOM!!!! The mutifuel motor is just a glorified tractor motor, The turbo is there to add a little power and to quiet the exhaust note.. I guess that's why I moved on to the dark side... :grd:

Im more thinking about Increasing the efficiency of the motor. It is possible to make more power and actually lower the stress on the motor.

Can durability be gained by upgrading the engine hardware? like head studs, better gaskets, etc.

Ive also wondered, its the heads that make it multi fuel right? would those heads fit on another motor?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks