• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Damaged CUCV Rebuild

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So here are the pictures after the wind came up and blew a tree that was falling back about 160 deg :sad: I have picked up a parts truck from CL the same day :D with everything I need and some extra to sell. My plan is to cut the roof off at the "A" and "B" pilliars and weld on the new pieces. I'll update as progess (slowly I'm sure) is made. Wish me luck! Its been a problem free 65K truck and deserves a good repair.Le Ray-20121116-00315.jpg

Vienna-20121118-00341.jpgVerona-20121118-00340.jpgVerona-20121118-00339.jpgVerona-20121118-00338.jpgVienna-20121118-00337.jpgVienna-20121118-00336.jpgVienna-20121118-00335.jpgVienna-20121118-00334.jpgVienna-20121118-00333.jpg

Last edited:

CycleJay

If you can afford it, Just take it to a body shop and have them pull out the dents, and make it look pretty.. LOL...
I am sure a good shop has seen this before and knows how to handle this.

In some cases you just need to get the work done by a professional, so it is done right.
After all that is what they are there and in business for.

Unless of course you know and can do bodywork, or are willing to take the time to read
and learn to do it yourself.

Just my $0.02 cents...

rickf

Unless you are an experienced bodyman you want to farm that roof job out. Ask them where they want you to cut the donor off. You have no room for error on a roof replacement.

Rick

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the perfect opportunity to chop the top(say 3").

wayne pick

Not to question your ability but i'll have to agree with rick on this one. unless you have exelent sheetmetal skills, I would cut the roof off the donor truck at least 4in below the spot welded seams where the top meets the windshield and door posts. that way you can surgicly remove the inner and outer sheet from the posts using a spot weld bit. Welding sheetmetal can be tricky. If you get it too hot it warps and you'll have a bear of a time getting it to lay flat. Im pretty handy with a welder, but I think the install is above my paygrade. Good luck.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I have done a similiar job on a VW, and I did have a very good body shop quote it, but I think I am going to attack this one. I'll post as it progresses, but its stinkin cold now so it may have to wait a bit.....

wayne pick

Oh, Ok. If you had success with the VW, you should have no problem with this repair. The extreme curves of the WV are hard to match up. I found out early on that welding two hunks of steel togeather, and welding sheet metal are totally different. I really made a mess of my first rocker panel job. LOL! Good luck. BTW, I worked on my truck today, it was nasty, cold and windy up the river from you. I called it quits at 14:00.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well here is the parts donor. I already pulled the doors off which were real nice. Next is glass and both roofs. Yes the visor is going bye-bye!

I am not keeping the 37" "Hummer" tires either. Only 3 are real good, the fourth is bald.
Vienna-20121129-00360.jpg

2002ford

I just cut a roof of a civy blazer yesterday. I will be welding one in next spring. The biggist problem I see is the reenforced steel channel that runs up behind the doors. It has to be welded first and then the outer sheet metal welded. I will get pics tm.

ryan77

"Try your best and caulk the rest" Keep the pics coming i just did a roof on a 70 buick skylark gs that the vinyl top rusted out the roof! Take your time and measure 30 times and cut once!!!

scottladdy

Sorry to hear about the damage. Advice so far is spot on. If you've done a VW roof, then the Chevy should pose no issues as long as you take your time. Very interested to see your progress. Wishing you the best of luck with the repair.

BTW, where did you get that console? Does it work well for you?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear about the damage. Advice so far is spot on. If you've done a VW roof, then the Chevy should pose no issues as long as you take your time. Very interested to see your progress. Wishing you the best of luck with the repair.

BTW, where did you get that console? Does it work well for you?
Thanks! The console is stock K5 blazer from u-pull it parts. 15 bucks and works perfect. And the gray color just ties nice with the replacement dash pad that was already in there.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, finally getting started on this one. Found more rust than I anticipated on the "B" pilliar crossover, but I have two complete cut-off roofs now, so we will see how it comes out. I sure do miss this truck.

bigginstactical

Its already too late but you really don't want to cut it off at the pillars.... WAY unsafe. Your best bet was to drill all the spot welds off the top panel and remove it. Porta power the inner structure up to where it needs to be (the shop that did the estimate should be able to print off the measurements for you.... if not I should be able too). Since you already made the cut you need to to separate the pieces. We haven't replaced a roof on this model yet so I don't know how many inner sleeves are in the pillar.... if there is more then one you need to remove more sheet metal and make extensions pieces. You don't want all your seams in one spot. Preferably they should be about 6 inches, at the minimum, apart. It actually creates a weak point if all in one spot. Ill attach a crappy pic I drew up real fast that hopefully explains what I'm talking about. If you have any questions feel free to ask or feel free to ignore me also haha. Best of luck!
photo(12).jpg