• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dark Seas M1008 Project

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good afternoon everyone,
Hope y'all are having a good Memorial Day weekend. Definitely going to take some time today to sit and reflect on our veterans while I wrench on the old '86.

1) Yesterday I started labeling the new engine wiring harness, I got a majority of it done. I could not figure out what these 2 go to (431 .jpg attachment). The pink long coiled wire looks like it's the fuel shutoff? I traced it down the frame to the fuel tank. The shorter tan plug wire... that I think goes to the back of the block. My gut is telling me oil pressure? (I have a GMC with a sending unit in a similar location).

2) the 447 and 504 .jpg - I see where this pink/red connector plugs in. What is that called? I couldn't find it in the diagram but I could find it in the truck. It's on the front of the motor toward the top where the oil filler neck is.

3) 841 .jpg - what is that green connecter? Driver side, front of the motor, it's not a glowplug. I think it might be coolant temperature?

4) 905 .jpg Look at this mess going to the glow plug relay. Good grief. Under the dash is about 10x worse, I'm glad I picked up a dash harness too. He redneck engineered a glow plug button into the truck. I will be looking under the dash and seeing if that's where those wires go to. I could find on the glow plug wiring diagram the pink/black, blue, and orange wires are original. There's a stripped black wire and stripped... I don't even know wire. I haven't found where they go yet but I have found them go to the glow plug relay then go into the firewall. They might be black and yellow going to a temperature sensor somewhere? I'll be looking more into that situation today. The glow plugs work though, no clue how.

Have a good weekend y'all.
1) The pink wire is .8 PNK-30 (SXL) and goes to the fuel tank sending unit which is where your fuel gage signal comes from. See figure F-4 on the right near the middle. The shorter tan plug wire is .5 TAN-31 (SXL) for oil pressure. See figure F-3 bottom left.

2) That wire is the Fuel Shutoff 3 PNK-3 (SXL) See figure F-3 bottom left.

3) Coolant Temp .5 DK GRN-35 (SXL) See figure F-3 top left

4) Good luck with this one :poop:

DarkSeas

1) The pink wire is .8 PNK-30 (SXL) and goes to the fuel tank sending unit which is where your fuel gage signal comes from. See figure F-4 on the right near the middle. The shorter tan plug wire is .5 TAN-31 (SXL) for oil pressure. See figure F-3 bottom left.

2) That wire is the Fuel Shutoff 3 PNK-3 (SXL) See figure F-3 bottom left.

3) Coolant Temp .5 DK GRN-35 (SXL) See figure F-3 top left

4) Good luck with this one :poop:
Appreciate it DIVE, looks like I was on the right track. Luckily I knew where they went from tracing, I just had them backwards for what they did.

No idea where to even start with the glow plug relay wires, might pull both ends, from the relay to the brain, measure the wires, gauge them, then replace them. I almost wish I never looked underneath the dash. :roll:

DarkSeas

Unknown wire.jpg

@ DIVE - the wire I'm talking about is a little tough to see here, but it's to the left of the two hardlines coming off the radiator and over the frame, just in front of the PS pump pulley (bottom left corner of image). The wire runs along the driver side fender then down and over that frame rail, where it looks like there is/was some sort of connection, then the wire continues along underneath the radiator in that general area.

Anybody know what this wire is for? I need to replace it, it split apart at that connection point on the frame.

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 869424

@ DIVE - the wire I'm talking about is a little tough to see here, but it's to the left of the two hardlines coming off the radiator and over the frame, just in front of the PS pump pulley (bottom left corner of image). The wire runs along the driver side fender then down and over that frame rail, where it looks like there is/was some sort of connection, then the wire continues along underneath the radiator in that general area.

Anybody know what this wire is for? I need to replace it, it split apart at that connection point on the frame.
Not sure, doesn’t sound stock though. The forward harness (one of the three in the main bulkhead connector) includes only the lights, blackout lights, map light, coolant level sensor, several ground wire terminations (6), the horn, and the combination valve. The other two parts of the main harness are the rear section, and the main engine harness. Other bulkhead penetrations include the one pictured below, (this is for the glow plug solenoid related wires and the rear coolant temp sensor), the blower motor penetration, the ICE connector penetration, and then the separate 4wd indicator wire which runs though the floor. There aren’t any others…hmmm

Attachments

DarkSeas

Not sure, doesn’t sound stock though. The forward harness (one of the three in the main bulkhead connector) includes only the lights, blackout lights, map light, coolant level sensor, several ground wire terminations (6), the horn, and the combination valve. The other two parts of the main harness are the rear section, and the main engine harness. Other bulkhead penetrations include the one pictured below, (this is for the glow plug solenoid related wires and the rear coolant temp sensor), the blower motor penetration, the ICE connector penetration, and then the separate 4wd indicator wire which runs though the floor. There aren’t any others…hmmm
It could be aftermarket, he has two block LEDs on the grille guard, but it looked pretty damn original in terms of wear. I will look more into it tomorrow, it doesn't seem important to getting the old girl running again. My buddy Tom traced it today and swore to me it went up into the left headlight wiring loom though, maybe it's a funky looking ground, but I doubt it.

Also build update: successfully got the broken starter bolt out today. She came out easy too, no issues and no metal in the eyes. Actually when we started drilling it it started working itself loose and we could get it out the rest of the way by fingers.

Gonna pull the intake and valve covers off to do the wiring and injectors then redo the gaskets and air filter when it goes back on. Gonna paint the valve covers as well so they're nice looking, any opinions on color?

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 869424

Doesn't that go to the brake pressure switch on the proportioning valve?

DarkSeas

Morning everybody. Happy Saturday.

We're taking the intake off and valve covet gaskets today and we ran into this:
20220604_095617.jpg

What is the broken part called? The tubing was all rotted and broke off. It looks fuel related. Gonna need to replace it

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Morning everybody. Happy Saturday.

We're taking the intake off and valve covet gaskets today and we ran into this:
View attachment 869641

What is the broken part called? The tubing was all rotted and broke off. It looks fuel related. Gonna need to replace it
It's hard to tell from the picture, but if it's attached to the IP then it's you're VRC valve. It regulates the amount of vacuum from the pump to your transmission based on your throttle position.

DarkSeas

It's hard to tell from the picture, but if it's attached to the IP then it's you're VRC valve. It regulates the amount of vacuum from the pump to your transmission based on your throttle position.
That's exactly what it is. Thanks ezgn!

Side question: anybody know what kind of socket to get injectors out? Even our big boys in the garage don't fit. Is it specialty?

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's exactly what it is. Thanks ezgn!

Side question: anybody know what kind of socket to get injectors out? Even our big boys in the garage don't fit. Is it specialty?
30mm. they make a special socket to protect the return fuel line connectors. OTC detroit diesel 6.2 GM injector socket at Amazon. Pricey You can use a regular socket with care not to damage the return fuel line connectors

DarkSeas

Thanks for the assist today @ezgn

Got some more questions came up while we're looking at everything (and waiting for valve cover and air cleaner paint to dry)

What is this stalk thing at the top of the block in the back? And what is that plug to the right of it (back cylinder driver side, the one on top. It snapped when I was working the wiring harness out, looks glow plug related, at least it's wrapped up with glow plug wires downstream)

Attachments

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the assist today @ezgn

Got some more questions came up while we're looking at everything (and waiting for valve cover and air cleaner paint to dry)

What is this stalk thing at the top of the block in the back? And what is that plug to the right of it (back cylinder driver side, the one on top. It snapped when I was working the wiring harness out, looks glow plug related, at least it's wrapped up with glow plug wires downstream)
Vacuum pump. Glow plug temperature sensor. It senses the coolant temperature and sends the signal to the control card and then sends the signal to the glow plug solenoid.

Part # NTK EF 0074 Amazon

EF

Last edited:

DarkSeas

Some more from today, she's finally in the garage. With Tom's bike out, my CUCV is the new project priority. No more laying in the mud and getting spiders and bugs all over me hahaha.

It's good to have good friends. Hope y'all are having a fantastic weekend too.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks