• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daryl’s Deuce Resto

Darylfraser

Greetings! We all seem to enjoy these build threads immensely so I thought I would begin to share my journey. I purchased this ‘71 General Products Division non turbo just before Xmas 2021 with a nice ‘66 M105 trailer. With only 8900 miles on the truck, I couldn’t pass up my first HMV. A friend of mine low-boyed it home for me. I rebuilt the brake system, new wheels cylinders, hoses, master cylinder and rebuilt the long air pack including a new canister. The bearings were all repacked with new seals and silicon one piece axle boots. The entire fuel system was flushed and filters changed. I had to remove the fuel tank, cleaned it and repaired a small pin hole. The IP had been replaced but was timed incorrectly, easy fix. I’ve posted elsewhere the lack of gaskets from the installer. All fluids were changed. I tackled the top end with new updated head gaskets, hoses and t-stat. I pop tested and shimmed the injectors. The entire exhaust system was replaced. The truck runs like a top!
The winch needed a rebuild as the sliding clutch was seized. Works great now. I’ve added an NOS soft top and bows, rebuilt and replaced the seats, added a fire extinguisher and bracket, a dual rifle mount kit, folding bumper step, an M11 decon kit, spin on oil filters, hood handle kit, new steering wheel, wiper motors and a whole bunch of little stuff I can’t remember!
My daughters and I road tripped 300 odd miles to the Weare Rally this past summer and we have had a blast with this truck.
Now that the mechanicals are solid, I have begun body work for a repaint. I will be repainting it to it’s original 24087.
This site and the folks on have been invaluable and thank you all for your knowledge.
I will follow up with some rust repair photos. Exciting stuff!
05C08B78-B5F6-486F-834C-761459845384.jpeg

Darylfraser

interesting for a 71' to still be non turbo and exhaust under the cab with muffler. it looks like i has other upgrades like suspension seat. nice winch too. good save! please post pictures of paint. if its anything like your rocker repairs it will be great.
And as a far as I can tell it’s all original. It even has the early front parking lamps. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I sourced the rockers from Memphis Equipment. Really well made

Darylfraser

7748F2CE-C89C-4E49-904C-98AB53166269.jpeg5E6C931B-6CB8-497D-91FC-3258F1B9DFC7.jpeg257930A8-4E16-467B-B132-6E9385F218AE.jpegCBA39571-6CAE-429E-ADE3-543BFC29E665.jpegRockers are finished and prepped with paint where the fenders meet. Fenders are back on so I can paint them in place. Left them spaced out where they meet the cab so I can install the anti squeak strip later. Same in the front. Left the rubber isolators out for now. I’m happy with the progress so far. My hat and u channel has been shipped so I will start on the bed repair soon. I’ve also started installing the heater under hood as well. This is my therapy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks