• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Daryl’s Deuce Resto

Darylfraser

Greetings! We all seem to enjoy these build threads immensely so I thought I would begin to share my journey. I purchased this ‘71 General Products Division non turbo just before Xmas 2021 with a nice ‘66 M105 trailer. With only 8900 miles on the truck, I couldn’t pass up my first HMV. A friend of mine low-boyed it home for me. I rebuilt the brake system, new wheels cylinders, hoses, master cylinder and rebuilt the long air pack including a new canister. The bearings were all repacked with new seals and silicon one piece axle boots. The entire fuel system was flushed and filters changed. I had to remove the fuel tank, cleaned it and repaired a small pin hole. The IP had been replaced but was timed incorrectly, easy fix. I’ve posted elsewhere the lack of gaskets from the installer. All fluids were changed. I tackled the top end with new updated head gaskets, hoses and t-stat. I pop tested and shimmed the injectors. The entire exhaust system was replaced. The truck runs like a top!
The winch needed a rebuild as the sliding clutch was seized. Works great now. I’ve added an NOS soft top and bows, rebuilt and replaced the seats, added a fire extinguisher and bracket, a dual rifle mount kit, folding bumper step, an M11 decon kit, spin on oil filters, hood handle kit, new steering wheel, wiper motors and a whole bunch of little stuff I can’t remember!
My daughters and I road tripped 300 odd miles to the Weare Rally this past summer and we have had a blast with this truck.
Now that the mechanicals are solid, I have begun body work for a repaint. I will be repainting it to it’s original 24087.
This site and the folks on have been invaluable and thank you all for your knowledge.
I will follow up with some rust repair photos. Exciting stuff!
05C08B78-B5F6-486F-834C-761459845384.jpeg

Darylfraser

interesting for a 71' to still be non turbo and exhaust under the cab with muffler. it looks like i has other upgrades like suspension seat. nice winch too. good save! please post pictures of paint. if its anything like your rocker repairs it will be great.
And as a far as I can tell it’s all original. It even has the early front parking lamps. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I sourced the rockers from Memphis Equipment. Really well made

Darylfraser

7748F2CE-C89C-4E49-904C-98AB53166269.jpeg5E6C931B-6CB8-497D-91FC-3258F1B9DFC7.jpeg257930A8-4E16-467B-B132-6E9385F218AE.jpegCBA39571-6CAE-429E-ADE3-543BFC29E665.jpegRockers are finished and prepped with paint where the fenders meet. Fenders are back on so I can paint them in place. Left them spaced out where they meet the cab so I can install the anti squeak strip later. Same in the front. Left the rubber isolators out for now. I’m happy with the progress so far. My hat and u channel has been shipped so I will start on the bed repair soon. I’ve also started installing the heater under hood as well. This is my therapy!