• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Death of a Multifuel

F18hornetM

Wow, it did come apart. Hope you find another one and get back together soon. Ive read some of the offers for help, very cool.
As far as 1100's and different overdrive. I'm not to much interested in speed out of mine. Somewhere I saw someone said its the most fun I ever had going slow, and thats true for me[thumbzup].

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Wow, it did come apart. Hope you find another one and get back together soon. Ive read some of the offers for help, very cool.
As far as 1100's and different overdrive. I'm not to much interested in speed out of mine. Somewhere I saw someone said its the most fun I ever had going slow, and thats true for me[thumbzup].
It has more to do with LOWER rpms at crusing speed (50-55), then speed, though some do it for speed, that was not the idea for the OD kit or 1100s, there will always be GO FASTERS who think a 30, 40, 50, 60 year old army truck should be able to do or exceed freeway speeds.

o1951

I agree, Wildchild - 2200 or if someone has deep pockets - do what we did pre computer with race cars - run it harder until something breaks, make that part stronger, repeat.

Typical bottom end order - subject to variation by engine design- rod bolts, rod caps, main caps, main bolts, crankshaft, flywheel bolts, wristpins, flywheel, pistons -

saddamsnightmare

October 18th, 2012.

Run over in a deuce? There's an oxymoron for you! Maryland may have that idiotic regulation in their registration code, but if they were taken to Federal court, it would never stand up as all vehicles have to be grandfathered in. Even Ford Model "T"'s. If they do anything else, it constitutes "Unlawful taking without reimbursement". EG: they rendered your equipment unuseable, hence unsalable, so they have to pay you for it. Don't think it will stand? A good lawyer would eat them up, and it is only when we don't challenge the bureaucrats is when their power grows excessively.
Just some food for thought.:!:
And yes, the deuce really wasn't designed for over 45 MPH in any of its incarnations, it is an off road tactical truck with on road capabilities.;-)

Kalashnikov

Pretty strange it's missing one of it cylinders and still has good power. I agreed,put a plate over the hole and drive it till it dies! This happened to one of my brother's old Cadillacs. He drove it off the highway with a hole in the block until he got the car home. That was an aluminum block though and a poor engine to begin with.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Send info like that in a pm, directly to the op.

Posting links to CL items that are not your own, is against the site rules.

Vintage iron

Hey Mcgregor you should try to find a LDS. I just finished some work on a customers M35A2 with a LDS in it. I took it for a test drive and what a difference over the LDT. With a LDS you can power 1100 easy. My buddy in Conn. has his truck set up this way.

F18hornetM

October 18th, 2012.

Run over in a deuce? There's an oxymoron for you! Maryland may have that idiotic regulation in their registration code, but if they were taken to Federal court, it would never stand up as all vehicles have to be grandfathered in. Even Ford Model "T"'s. If they do anything else, it constitutes "Unlawful taking without reimbursement". EG: they rendered your equipment unuseable, hence unsalable, so they have to pay you for it. Don't think it will stand? A good lawyer would eat them up, and it is only when we don't challenge the bureaucrats is when their power grows excessively.
Just some food for thought.:!:
And yes, the deuce really wasn't designed for over 45 MPH in any of its incarnations, it is an off road tactical truck with on road capabilities.;-)
I couldn't agree with you more on idiotic laws. I just happened to notice it said that on the registration on one of my other vehicles. I havent had any issues so far, but then I dont do anything stupid with my trucks either.
Yes, I'm pretty sure a loaded 80,000 lb tractor trailer or loaded dump truck doing 65 mph will shove a 13,000 lb duece and half right off the road. Somewhere, Ive heard its happened before. :beer:

It has more to do with LOWER rpms at crusing speed (50-55), then speed, though some do it for speed, that was not the idea for the OD kit or 1100s, there will always be GO FASTERS who think a 30, 40, 50, 60 year old army truck should be able to do or exceed freeway speeds.

Yes, lower RPMs at 50-55 mph, so they can do 65mph. Funny I have no problems with rpm at 45-50. :driver: But some may need to do 55-60, have at it.

Well it's been a week and I've been searching every day with no luck for a replacement engine. In the meantime I am going through the TMs and getting everything I need for the swap, I plan on documenting every part of it with photos and posting it here.
If anyone has done this before and could post some tips and tricks it would be a major help to not only myself, but for future reference.

Sephirothq

There should be engines out there easy to get. I know there is a guy parting trucks out in Kanasas I think. He had a posting in the classifieds. Have you looked there for an engine? What about gimpy in Ohio?
I have scrapped a few engines because nobody wanted them ( or at least they wouldn't even pay scrap for them).

91W350

There is a guy in Norfolk Nebraska that parted out lots of deuces for axles. At least 50 and probably more. Our operation is primarily five tons. We do have the 1957 Utica Bend with an excellent sounding and running LDT D turbo that is too rusty for me to tackle. We also have three LDTs in cans and 1 LDS in a can. I have no idea bout their condition though as I have not opened the cans. They might have 4 or 6 BTs in them for all I know. I do know we have one that appears completely redone in a can. I sold the starter off of it to a member in need. If we can help in any way, let me know. Glen

Katahdin

There's not many multifuel engines around on the ME/NH border, I personally don't know of any either. Seems the closest bone yards are in NY, if it happened to me most likely I'd be driving 6 or more hours out to get it, or ship one in by freight.

Another thought, I believe the Eastern Surplus owner has a camp in NH and I heard he does a parts runs, maybe you could work out something with him.

Okay fellas been a couple months and I was beginning to have Green Iron withdrawals!
Sorry I have been M.I.A but my engine search had not been going to well up until a week ago. Every engine I found was either WAY too expensive, WAY too far away, or broken / leaking from somewhere.

Thank you to everyone on SS who has offered me engines, parts and delivery services!!

I knew there was a reason I waited so long, I was really hoping to find something local but Multifuels in New England are pretty hard to come by. I even tried the local Army Reserve / National guard barracks! There were a few that I came very close to buying but it ended up coming down to cost and questionable running condition.

Last week I had a response to a CL ad asking if a depot rebuilt engine in a sealed crate would be worth anything to me... Ummm YES?
I asked how much he was looking to get for it. He got it in a surplus lot, said he wasn't sure what it was worth and really just wanted the crate for a pig smoker....
Ummmmmmmm YES??
Drove down to take a look at it and sure looked like a good find. Rebuild date at tooele 7/1990. Never installed since rebuild, not a drop of oil or grease on the thing. Despite the fact that it had been sitting in the crate for 23 years I decided it was worth tinkering with. Made him an offer and he accepted, it was a really great deal.
Brought it home 125 miles in my 89' Dodge W150 half ton (a little overloaded but she rode great)
So now I'm going over it and could use some advice. I can tell it has been exposed to moisture at some point, there is some very minor rust in some places like the pressure plate and the flywheel, I am more concerned about what I can't see. I looked under the oil cap and the rockers and springs have some rust as well.
Where are the places I should be the most concerned about and what if anything should I do about any other internal rust that I find?
Any other advice or suggestions before I start swapping parts please feel free to comment!
Here are some picsWinter 2013 023.jpgWinter 2013 029.jpgWinter 2013 030.jpgWinter 2013 031.jpgWinter 2013 025.jpgWinter 2013 026.jpgWinter 2013 027.jpgWinter 2013 028.jpg
-GM

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the valve covers off, pull the valve train out and clean all the rust off and put it back together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks