• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce A2 - Opinion

paulfarber

But even if all of what you said is true.. is that 'risk' worth the $2000+ premium you are paying?

If the first truck is a turkey, you have another $2000 left to buy ANOTHER truck. :)

BIG RED FLAG is that there is no SF-97. A 'dealer' selling on a bill of sale and no title? BIG RED FLAG.

A 'dealer' isn't doing anything that you cannot. Its not like he's not passing the costs on to you.

Go the GL route and have a cash reserve for repairs. You but from this 'dealer' (used loosely) and it breaks down, you have a busted truck and NO money. I'd rather have cash on hand for repairs that trust a used car salesman.

m816Buch

when i bought my 109 from gl, they told me i had to have a professional trucking company to load it out.........
cost me more for that than what i purchased the truck for..........
dang fine truck though

paulfarber

when i bought my 109 from gl, they told me i had to have a professional trucking company to load it out.........
cost me more for that than what i purchased the truck for..........
dang fine truck though
I'm sure that there are varying levels of GL employee competence, but you did read the GL rules?

And no used car dealer ever snookered an unwitting person (like the OP)?

The biggest red flag I see is there is no SF-97. That's your title from the gooberment, if the 'dealer' doesn't have it what other shortcuts did they take? Lie on the EUC about being a reseller/not for personal use and have the truck repo'd by GL? Lie about the 'servicing'?

I still don't see anything remotely provided worth $2000 premium.

rlwm211

SF97 is optional and is an additional cost to the buyer,

I paid 1200 for my deuce from GL, 800 to have it hauled home.

I put all new wheel cylinders master and rebuilt the air pack.

New Cab cover and seat covers. New Batteries. New hood to replace damaged one on truck.

New E brake cable and some new fuel return line and fittings and also

New Copper fuel line as the original was flatten by GLs forklift or payloader.

My total cost road worthy and ready to drive with all the work done

Probably a little over $3000 with my personal labor. If you figured the cost of labor it is considerably higher than that.

$3500, with good tires, good cab cover, good brakes, good glass and mirrors, all the lights work and it has good batteries and you do not have to do the work is not such a bad deal.

I went the route I did because I could do the work and it spread the cost of acquistion and preparation out so I could afford a much nicer truck than I could buy with what I had at the time.

Would I do it again, YOU BET. That is my personal choice and I enjoy working on my deuce.

If you like this kind of work, then go for a truck from GL and plan on spending some quality time with tools in hand.

If you want a truck to drive then buy one ready to go. I would look at a few other choices to make sure you are getting the truck you want and the price is right.

Just my two cents

RL

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the cost of the gamble of getting a GL truck with a bad engine? If the seller is legit, have him ride over to the DMV with you. Make your sale there where you can guarantee a title

ryker725

Well I pulled the trigger.... I thought I mentioned the year (which is part of the reason I wanted it). This is a 1967 model in awesome shape. Drove it home 80 miles this afternoon. Does every bit of 57 mph even though the tag says to not exceed 55.. Not to worrry, I didn't run it balls out all 80 miles. Kept it at 50 most of the way.. Considering I paid twice the money for my ATV, I think this is a decent deal..

Not that I don't want the hassle of the GL game, it's more of a time issue with me.. Everything works on it, and it runs great!

Attachments

ryker725

The pass. side mirror deal is that the bottom bolt rusted through and broke, so the mirror is crooked.. Easy fix to take it off, drill out the bolt, tap in some new threads and put in a new bolt..

bjsmith

glad to hear you got it and in good shape and made it home ok i drove mine home 145 miles took me 3.5 hrs stopping every so often to check thing out was worried driving it that far first getting it

rlwm211

Glad to hear she is a runner.

In responding to the GL and the bad engine my back up plan was to sell the truck as parts and scrap if the engine or some other part of the truck was snafu. I am quite pleased that was not how things worked out for me.

My truck came with an LDS with 7 hours on it, fresh paint on the frame and undercarriage and components, and apparently refurbished components and the major defects were as I described previously.

The journey for each of us will vary but I am quite sure the satisfaction is pretty equal.

Good score on the truck, and enjoy!!!!

RL

paulfarber

Well I pulled the trigger.... I thought I mentioned the year (which is part of the reason I wanted it). This is a 1967 model in awesome shape. Drove it home 80 miles this afternoon. Does every bit of 57 mph even though the tag says to not exceed 55.. Not to worrry, I didn't run it balls out all 80 miles. Kept it at 50 most of the way.. Considering I paid twice the money for my ATV, I think this is a decent deal..

Not that I don't want the hassle of the GL game, it's more of a time issue with me.. Everything works on it, and it runs great!
You are missing a spare. most of the rust is simply painted over, under the paint waiting to bubble.

Not trying to be disparaging about your purchase, but you still need to dump $200-500 into it (spare, title, taxes etc). Be ready for it, and the other 10,000 things you still need to do to keep it running.

The mirror issue is par for the course when dealing with flippers. He 'Went over it' yet parts are rusting off as we speak.

I don't know if you ever owned an antique (67 is an antique in most states) but unless its been stripped down to bare metal and repainted, you have rust, you have worn out parts, you have things waiting to bust at the most inopportune time. Its just the nature of the age of the vehicle.

I am awaiting EUC on my 66. I have no doubts that it HAS rust, worn out parts and needs a good going over. Difference is that compared to your impulse buy, I have $2000 'saved'. and a freaking spare tire. :lol:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A very few years ago when you could buy a late 60's/early 70's deuce for $900-1200, I'd have said that was too much. Now, running deuces that look like yours can reach $2000-2200+ on GL in LA/MS (a year ago, I had to stop bidding at $2k for one I knew started but had no brake pedal pressure). 1980's era Air Force deuces (when you can find them) are now approaching $2800-3000+ on GL. And that doesn't include the increasingly common GL delays, hassles and screwups, and the costs of preview trip and getting the truck home and possible new batteries and repairs..

I think you paid a very reasonable price for what you got from a private sale. Looking forward to seeing at the LA rally in May. One thing for sure, the value will never go down if kept in the same condition.

paulfarber

You CAN get a late 60's early 70s deuce running for $1200-$1500. I did. The guy I helped last week for two runners for less than $2k each.

I guess I do sound a bit negative, but this is my fourth antique vehicle and I've made all the mistakes (I will never tell how much I paid for my jeep... I was ripped off that bad) but I guess as most people are saying, if you are happy with it then you did good.

unclemikey

Ryker 725
It's YOUR TRUCK !......You are going to love it. It will sometimes break, you will fix it, and you will love it! The fun now really begins, go play with it, fix it up like you want to, work on it, drive it, sometimes you will just sit in it for a while. But one thing is for sure.......You Are Going To Love It ! :grin::jumpin::grin:

jeep-Jeep

hey ryker you can change your avatar now to your new truck .
I would not sell any of my deuces for that .
it is a fair deal .
and by the way let me know if you are close to pineville just in case I need a local to call for help on my GL gamble .

ryker725

You are missing a spare. most of the rust is simply painted over, under the paint waiting to bubble.

Not trying to be disparaging about your purchase, but you still need to dump $200-500 into it (spare, title, taxes etc). Be ready for it, and the other 10,000 things you still need to do to keep it running.

The mirror issue is par for the course when dealing with flippers. He 'Went over it' yet parts are rusting off as we speak.

I don't know if you ever owned an antique (67 is an antique in most states) but unless its been stripped down to bare metal and repainted, you have rust, you have worn out parts, you have things waiting to bust at the most inopportune time. Its just the nature of the age of the vehicle.

I am awaiting EUC on my 66. I have no doubts that it HAS rust, worn out parts and needs a good going over. Difference is that compared to your impulse buy, I have $2000 'saved'. and a freaking spare tire. :lol:
A little bubbling rust on the hood at the connecting hardware, and in the inside right above the passenger windshield. That is it.. I plan on fixing this in the spring. The bed of the truck looks like it is brand new (honestly)..

Currently I'm looking at sinking a few hundred in sales tax and DMV fees.

My rationale is that even if I bought on at an auction for say.. $2000.. I am not set up to start one up at a base nor am I excited about the idea of driving one home 250 miles, so I would have had it shipped anyway. The shipping quotes I received were $1450 and $1480 respectively. Add that to the $2000 and where am I?

This way I saved myself the GL hassle as well as the hassle and wait of having La. Troop L come out and issue an inspection certificate so that it can be registered in the state of La. The dealer had this done already.. Impulse buy? Not really.. I just wanted a hassle free deal with my first one.. Now in the future things may be different.

As for the spare.. I'll just pick one up in the near future. No biggie for me.

I'm happy with it.. And I know that I would be able to flip it for at least what I paid in a heartbeat.. rofl