• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce batteries or starter

FloridaAKM

There is a starter/ alternator/generator shop in your area that the owners last name is Johnson. He is a member here & would most likely very happy to help get your starter back in as new shape. Your truck being a Deuce would make him want to help even more. I can't remember the name of the shop.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:
I don't think I have a socket big enough to bar engine over.I tried to start yesterday morning it tried to turn over but then it just did the clunk.I have the injectors off no hydro lock.I shut the truck down in the garage and now The starter won't spin unless jumped.I can probably get a starter cheaper than having the solenoid replaced or the starter rebuilt.I found the after market starter for 164$.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading the other threads you have going on(most times it's much easier for us to follow if it's all in one "build thread"), I see you have had the transmission out and apart and have done something with your clutch.

Many things could be causing it to not turn over, besides a starter issue.

You need to be sure the motor turns over still.

An improperly installed clutch/pressure plate could lock the motor.

A jammed trans could lock it(clutch function?)

Did you remove your flywheel? Replace the bolts?

Look at everything you have done for problems.

Yes I did Doghead the clutch goes in and out as it should and did spin in or out of gear not installed I will check everything tomorrow your saying to check to make sure something is not binding.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With your starter out, you can try to rotate the crankshaft with a bar through the starter hole, on the ring gear teeth.

jag02109

Just replaced 2 new batteries (Interstate 6TL) on my 1987 M998, started quick no problem, 2 days later not engaging just click, click, click. I charged them for at least 30 minutes, started quick (again) but when I shut it off and turn it back....another click and the yellow light didn't lit just one blink. Maybe its an alternator?

Take the batteries charge them up then take them and have them tested its free. Then after that clean all battery and wire connections.(What Doghead said below he knows more than I do.)You also may have voltage bleed off somewhere.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the batteries charge them up then take them and have them tested its free. Then after that clean all battery and wire connections. You can I think after trucks started disconnect one lead and use a volt meter to see If your alternator is charging.You also may have voltage bleed off somewhere.

You will burn out the voltage regulator if you disconnect a battery cable while running.
Simply measure battery voltage before and after starting and compare to see if it is charging(higher when running).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to rotate it in either direct a little bit.

You should be able to get some movement, especially if your injectors are still out.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might try cleaning those contact surfaces up and see what you get.

It's probably your problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks