• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce driver with gonads

Emmett

I was sitting in my hangar yesterday and was visited by someone that I know that was selling a 109A3 to a guy that was on his way to pick it up.
As it turns out, this guy bought a M109A3 here on the SS site unseen. He was enroute from Kansas to Tampa on a motorcycle to pay for it, load up his bike and drive it home....
While the seller was test driving the vehicle, he noticed that oil was blowing out of the stack...No doubt a turbo oil seal. asked if I could R&R the turbo with a rebuilt one so that the guy can drive it home.....we agreed on the terms.

The Deuce was delivered to the Hangar, we R & R'ed the turbo and did an inspection of the vehicle hoping to find problems that he might encounter on his trip home. All fluids serviced, greased, etc.

I must admire the gall and guts that it takes to drive your motorcycle over 1300 miles to apick up a 40+ year old truck, load up your scooter in the back and drive said deuce another 1300 miles back home with not tools, spares or what ever. WHAT AN ADVENTURE!
I hope he makes it home in with no major issues. My hat is off to you Jason,,,,,God speed!

Last edited by a moderator:

jw4x4

If the deuce should encounter mechanical difficulties, he at least has the scooter as a backup. It's not a matter IF he will get it home, its WHEN. I look forward to him posting on his adventure.

70deuce

No doubt on the "when" and not on the"if". The deuce IS one of those rare vehicles you can do this sort of thing with!! As I see it the deuce was the backup for the scooter.

Broke Down

I hope we get some good stories from this, I can't wait to do something like this one day with mine. I hope the new owner makes it back with a grin ear to ear!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, that scooter sorta limits the size of the tool kit, that I would like to have onboard, for just a regular 1300 mile trip. Well you checked her out Emmett, so with that in mind, I have to line up with 70Deuces thinking. He can make it now!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've always wanted to do an adventure like this. But I'd have at least packed some basic hand tools...

spicergear

My adventure like this was getting to and from Top Truck Challenge in 2005 with a 2,000lb overloaded borrowed trailer that was beat to ****. Long story short, bought a spare tire in Iowa, used it shortly there after, was towed into Hollister and trailer was on one axle. Suspension plates and U's purchased and installed (by others), axle was not quite straight..., Duramax pull truck a week of dealer lot broke 3 of 8 left rear wheel studs from not being tightened after tire balancing at dealer, limped home from Nebraska at 50mph back to PA and no sleep for over 70 hours. Dealership bought 8 new lugs, nuts, wheels, shop time from that one; I bought my first wave of gray hair a month later.

F18hornetM

I was nervous driving our duece just 110 miles home when we bought it. We took tools, fluids everything we could think of. I even told friends who have a tow company what I was doing in case I needed them to come get me. I still didnt like it.
You guys can keep that part of the adventure. :beer:

59apache

Chipmaker
on my recovery i travel by train....tools: Leatherman Wave and Maglite 4D . 310 miles to go. But i've seen and checked the truck before.
And i forgot my earplugs :)

Last edited:

Emmett

We decided to drop the front and rear drive shaft in an effort to get better MPG. I would have liked to have a few days to look it over but alas he didn't have much time.
In my experence, you can fill the back of the truck with spares and tools but when you have a break down, it will be the one thing you didn't bring.
I try not to listen to the "safe Sally's" out there....No guts, no glory.

zout

Just reading this American Tale - wonder if Jason brought ear plugs or muffs for the Whisteler Turbo 1300 mile ride back home - could always wear his helmet I guess.

Waiting to his his story.:beer:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems pretty ignorant to me. I hope he fares well, but I guess we will find out sooner or later.
Ditto. It's one thing if you bring some tools, fluids and stuff "just in case" and you break down because of something you DIDN'T BRING

vs.

Not bringing anything at all, crossing your fingers, and hoping for the best. In a 1,300 mile trip, something is going to happen.

Hope he makes it okay. Maybe next time he'll bring a truck, a towbar, and some gear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks