• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce driving tips

Cycletek

Hold the steering wheel with "lobster claws" keep your thumbs pointed toward the windshield on top of the wheel. And keep your elbows next to your ribcage, you should also wear your seatbelt, it will keep you front being tossed from the seat from a big bump.........:D

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let her idle for about 5 mins before getting going and take it easy for the first few minutes. Then accelerate and listen to the engine and see if you can determine how the truck "feels". Every truck I have driven has a "sweet spot" where it seems to run with the least effort and, compared to running it faster or slower, it seems to want to stay in the sweet spot. On mine it is a pointer's width below 50 mph, about 2250rpm.

Some people have no issues running it at governed rpm; mine starts leaking oil during sustained max rpm and is practically dry when running below 2300. I also read too many stories of connecting rod bolts letting go at higher engine rpm.

I wish someone had told me about keeping the elbows tucked before I got my deuce. While navigating on small residential streets, I was cranking the wheel to make a left turn and about half-way into the turn, I gave a hefty tug on the wheel and BANG! I nailed the top edge of the door with my left elbow. That was about 8 months ago and on a cold night, I still feel that top edge of the door and the damage it did to my left elbow!
aua

Dipstick

There's a lot of very good information in this thread! I'd be finding all of this out the hard way otherwise. I hope to avoid all of these problems as much as possible by heeding everyone's advice when and if my Deuce ever arrives. Thanks to all.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try not to back over Prius at the Starbuck's. It wont hurt the truck none, but its alot of paperwork.

Changing lanes / merging can be difficult as traffic does not want to be behind you. Other motorists will do ANYTHING to not get stuck behind you. The method that works best for me is actuate the turn signal " Blink, blink, go" They will get outta the way.

wb1895

I think it was mentioned before but, it is worth saying again,

DO NOT trust the fuel gauge!! Always visually check the fuel level

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changing lanes / merging can be difficult as traffic does not want to be behind you. Other motorists will do ANYTHING to not get stuck behind you. The method that works best for me is actuate the turn signal " Blink, blink, go" They will get outta the way.
Sometimes not...I have, on occasion, forgotten to check the blinker after riding down a 4 lane road after a turn and noticed there was a line of cars and trucks BEHIND me. Not one DARED to pass as they thought "that great big army truck wants to change lanes and is gonna wipe me out if I try to pass". The line behind me is an indication that I might want to check the blinker:oops:. I pulled over after a jaunt one afternoon and someone I know stopped and told me that.:)

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When driving in hot weather, leave windows in up position and open drivers side windshield about 1or 2 inches. Pressurizes cab and forces engine and transmission heat out.
God bless,
Tony:D

Gunner0311

Oooops!

When parking, do a "Walk around" before departing on the road again.

I learned this the hard way after a lawnmower got parked behind me one summer day. I backed up to turn around in the grass and ran right over it!:oops:

People sure do some dumb stuff when they see a big green truck. And you
can't fix STUPID. So be extra attentive and double check where everbody is, as
it is easy to miss small stuff in your mirrors and below your line of sight out front!!

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're off road and the ground is anything but hard and dry, engage the front axle. Use low range if it's muddy. Trailers in mud are a good way to get stuck, think of them as boat anchors. Also remember that unless they've been upgraded to LED's, deuce tail lights are hard to see, especially in bright sun, watch out for people behind you.

SSG ALBANESE

1) before carrying people in the bed of your truck make sure they get a safety brief by you and let them now it is bouncy.

2) Always do a test drive in a safe location after conducting maintenance, I usually make my girlfriend drive separately in case I need a ride back home for fluids or tools.

3) If you are too lazy to check all tires for proper inflation at least keep others safe by checking the fronts.

4) If you ever smell anything different than normal and the only place you can stop is a gas station DO NOT PARK next to the pump, stay as far away as possible just in case of fire.

5) Make sure your extinguisher is up to date and in operational order.

6) Use your blinker but remember to start blinking early, when on the hwy I turn the blinker on and then encroach the line closest to the lane I am getting in, this warns cars that you don’t see to MOVE ride the line for at least 5-10 seconds and then proceed .

7) Keep your windows clean and all lights clean. If your tail lights have dull lenses then save up and buy new ones .

When you fill up try to do the math of how many gallons you will take making sure your gauge is correct .

9) Lock what you can when leaving your truck un attended in public areas, people don’t know you own it, matter a fact I am sure most of you have been asked why you are driving a military truck so if you’re not around people want to touch, poke, feel, glare, take pics, have a quickie in the bed in the parking lot of safeway..... lol you just never know what to expect. Be careful and observant .

10) Enjoy with safety.

Last edited:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1) before carrying people in the bed of your truck make sure they get a safety brief by you and let them now it is bouncy.

2) Always do a test drive in a safe location after conducting maintenance, I usually make my girlfriend drive separately in case I need a ride back home for fluids or tools.

3) If you are too lazy to check all tires for proper inflation at least keep others safe by checking the fronts.

4) If you ever smell anything different than normal and the only place you can stop is a gas station DO NOT PARK next to the pump, stay as far away as possible just in case of fire.

5) Make sure your extinguisher is up to date and in operational order.

6) Use your blinker but remember to start blinking early, when on the hwy I turn the blinker on and then encroach the line closest to the lane I am getting in, this warns cars that you don’t see to MOVE ride the line for at least 5-10 seconds and then proceed .

7) Keep your windows clean and all lights clean. If your tail lights have dull lenses then save up and buy new ones .

When you fill up try to do the math of how many gallons you will take making sure your gauge is correct .

9) Lock what you can when leaving your truck un attended in public areas, people don’t know you own it, matter a fact I am sure most of you have been asked why you are driving a military truck so if you’re not around people want to touch, poke, feel, glare, take pics, have a quickie in the bed in the parking lot of safeway..... lol you just never know what to expect. Be careful and observant .

10) Enjoy with safety.
FYI, if your deuce catches fire next to the pump, your deuce and the pump will burn up, that's it. No ka-blooey, no Hiroshima sized fireballs, no Hollywood special effects. The fuel tanks are underground for a reason.
And along with that, don't get a little cheapo Walmart extinguisher. You're probably only going to have one shot at putting out a fire, go BIG!

ducer

Anybody have any good tips about driving in ice or snowy weather besides don't do it or stay home. I have allready grooved my tires, I hope I picked a good pattern. I also have :3dAngus:about 1000 pounds of old cast iron radiators to throw into the bed for weight.:popcorn:

Denny

rattlecan6104

couple things I have learned from driving on ice and snow

turning with the front axle engaged nearly always results in the truck sliding around sideways and wanting to get away from you.

If you dont have an in cab heater, a generator in the bed with an extension cord and a small space heater in the cab, although very "redneck" makes life a lot easier, especially when it comes to defrosting the windshield!

Slow and smooth gets you home safe.

Whenever possible go for the "backroads that have not been plowed as often, the snowpack seems to provide better traction than the freshly plowed sheet of ice.

MRE's and blankets are especially a good idea if bad juju happens.

Good gloves that keep your hands warm as well as maintain good grip of the wheel, after a long trip without them I supposedly had the beginning stages of frostbite, once again, no heater.

Blueduce

I drive with my bed cover off and troop seats down as much as I can. It offers much more visibility on the road. What ever is on the seat beside you will be on the floorboard the first time you hit the breaks. Secure your gear. Whenever you park your deuce for more than a few hours always cover the exhaust stack with a bucket of some kind. You'll know why the first time you start your truck and blow soot all over your wife's car. If you don't want to spend your weekends cleaning oil leaks off your driveway always use a drip pan. These are more parking tips but I felt it should be included as a good practice to get in to.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks