• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce driving tips

ducer

I drive the back roads any how on the way to and from work. I rarely go far from home, 10 miles max. (I just don't need to and plenty of houses around) so no need to cary MREs. however I do see the need to put heat in my truck, just don't have the money at this time. aua One of the reasons I got a deuce is to slow down, I drive to ****ed fast. Thanks for the tips. Also is it a good idea to air down the tires for ice?

Denny

MilSpec78

Great post. It should be required reading for new deuce owners. I learned the thumb and elbow issues the hard way after a few hours of rough off roading. I had sore thumbs and a bruised left elbow for days.

Two more tips. If you have young passengers, put something behind their heads so they don't hit their heads on the metal at the top of the passenger bench when they are bouncing around. Also, watch out for branches when offroading! I lost a mirror the other day and I always seem to return with leaves and branches in the truck when driving with the top off. :D

Blueduce

If you open your windshields for ventilation make sure there screwed down tight. At highway speeds a strong gust could slam the windshield shut. This will scare the crap out of you and is a good way to loose windshield glass.

Be careful and never jump out of the cab on the drivers side. Especially when your wearing cargo shorts. Your not a true Deuce owner till you've hung yourself off the parking break handle.

If you plan on mounting flags on the front of your truck. Make sure that the flagpoles are tall enough that the flag can not be sucked in to your air intake.

Last edited:

mactiredearg

If you have young passengers, put something behind their heads so they don't hit their heads on the metal at the top of the passenger bench when they are bouncing around.
Good one.

If you open your windshields for ventilation make sure there screwed down tight.
I've had mine slam even with them screwed down tight. I've taken to opening them a bit then turning the latch and pulling them back to rest on that. Still get air flow but no slamming risk. Even works as a defroster in light rains.

If you plan on mounting flags on the front of your truck. Make sure that the flagpoles are tall enough that the flag can not be sucked in to your air intake.
I gave up and built two setups: one with a small enough flag to clear the exhaust stack when rolling and one with a bigger flag for static displays.

Blueduce

Good one.

I've had mine slam even with them screwed down tight. I've taken to opening them a bit then turning the latch and pulling them back to rest on that. Still get air flow but no slamming risk. Even works as a defroster in light rains.

I gave up and built two setups: one with a small enough flag to clear the exhaust stack when rolling and one with a bigger flag for static displays.

Great idea on the flags. Do you have any picks of the setups. I have been looking for ideas since my last parade. My truck will be in the Ft. Worth Veterans day parade. I'd like to have things in place by then.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful and never jump out of the cab on the drivers side. Especially when your wearing cargo shorts. Your not a true Deuce owner till you've hung yourself off the parking break handle.
Or turned and quickly slid out only to darn near catch the parking brake handle a little higher and further to the rear than the cargo pocket area...:shock::shock:

If you don't want to spend your weekends cleaning oil leaks off your driveway always use a drip pan. These are more parking tips but I felt it should be included as a good practice to get in to.
Better than futzing around with a drip pan, Get yourself a soda or beer can and a hose clamp big enough for the slobber tube below the turbo. Cut the top off the can and cut two verticle slices about an inch long and about an inch and a half to two inches apart. Slip the clamp into the slits and fold the top edge of the can back over the clamp, then if you wanna get fancy, cut a small triangle slash under the clamp and fold the point up around the clamp to keep the assembly together when you take it off to drain it. If you can find a clamp with a paddle-screw, then you don't have to break out a screwdriver every time. Voila! No more crawling under the truck to place the drip pan!
[thumbzup]

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just wondering what driving tips/ experience you guys might have to share about driving your deuce/ 5 ton.

Heres a couple that I know of:

1. Dont drive a deuce with your thumbs on the inside of the steering wheel: If the wheel gets away from you it will break your thumbs.

If you are driving with the correct "white knuckle / deadmans grip" the wheel won't get away.

wb1895

I was just wondering what driving tips/ experience you guys might have to share about driving your deuce/ 5 ton.

Heres a couple that I know of:

1. Dont drive a deuce with your thumbs on the inside of the steering wheel: If the wheel gets away from you it will break your thumbs.

If you are driving with the correct "white knuckle / deadmans grip" the wheel won't get away.
So, instead of broken thumbs you will have broken arms!!!aua

Blueduce

Point well taken! Makes me wanna carry a small generator and hang a little window AC unit in the back window of the cab. Ok so it's kinda redneck, but it beats the stuffins outta heat stroke!
:jumpin:
That's funny. I was thinking the exact same thing just last week. How do I install a small cheap'o window A/C unit in the bed, run a piece of [FONT=&quot]conduit through the back window and not look like a total gypsy redneck while doing it.

I have 12v in the cab. would a power inverter be strong enough to run a small A/C unit I wounder. If so I could run the A/C from that. Build a frame to set the A/C unit in that sits lower than the side rails of the bed.(so no one can see it) Run the conduit from it through the back window of the cab and paint the conduit black. Then all you could maybe see is a piece of black conduit running through the back window.
[/FONT]

Keith_J

You can get a 2 kW inverter powered off 24 volts for $300. Which would power a 9000 BTU/hour window unit.

Only thing is this would put a 60 amp load or more, assuming the window unit draws 12 amperes.

You don't need a pure sine inverter for window units, they will make more noise with modified sine wave but most MSW inverters will work fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks